Heritage Owners Club

20th Anniversary 150 Tuner

jmac

The low e string turner on my 150 just stopped holding tension. I have tightened the screw but it won't hold. Any suggestions what could have happened or on repairing it?

Or finding a single turner?

really want to keep it original..

I would check with my guitar tech first. If it can't be fixed he may have an odd one left over from another job. If not I'd call around to all the techs in the area and see if they have one. All else fails I'd buy a new set, and have one put on. I think direct replacement is fair when it comes to "keeping it original."

I have them on my 150. I assume they have the keystone shaped pearlized buttons. They are not made to be tightened too much and either they strip inside the button and need to be replaced or it can be disassembled and put back together to catch the lip while you push the shaft inward to expose the max amount of shaft and mount the button to "catch" . Sorry I had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and it destroyed some brain cells but yu can email or call Sperzel (USA company) and they can explain how to fix or will replace.

Sperzel will not replace the pearloid buttons. You can buy more but they told me that the pearloid will fail. I put on different buttons, no problems since.

As Greg said Sperzel will not give you a replacment parts but they are very easy to work with and will sell you anything you might need. All of their plastic buttons might fail and are not guaranteed but replacement metal buttons should be completely reliable. They are one of the best company's I have had the pleasure of working with.

jmac...I too have a 20th Anniversary 150, an absolute stunner. The Sperzels blow! After having three keys strip on the spline (once on a gig), I was done. I replaced them with tulip key Grovers, which fit perfectly after drilling one hole to accept the second screw of the Grovers (Sperzels being anchored with one screw only). If you want to replace the ivoroid buttons, be aware of the fact that the ivoroid replacement buttons will likely not match the color of the originals...mine did not. The replacements were lighter in color. However, if you want "original equipment," I'll ship my complete set (with the one lighter key) to you free, on the condition you'll make a small contribution to a local animal shelter.

jmac...I too have a 20th Anniversary 150, an absolute stunner. The Sperzels blow! After having three keys strip on the spline (once on a gig), I was done. I replaced them with tulip key Grovers, which fit perfectly after drilling one hole to accept the second screw of the Grovers (Sperzels being anchored with one screw only). If you want to replace the ivoroid buttons, be aware of the fact that the ivoroid replacement buttons will likely not match the color of the originals...mine did not. The replacements were lighter in color. However, if you want "original equipment," I'll ship my complete set (with the one lighter key) to you free, on the condition you'll make a small contribution to a local animal shelter.

Rob, you are pure class...

One day I will replace the keys with metal ones but till then I will use a screwdriver on my D string

Rob, that is so nice. I was just hoping for some guidance on what to do. I love that guitar will gladly accept extra tuners and make a contribution to the Austin Humane Society. Both our dogs were rescue dogs.

I will paypal for shipping also.

My address is:

John McIntyre

5107 China Garden Dr

Austin, Texas 78730

Thank you so much.

John

Simply put...This is awesome and so is Rob Slater

Thank you for ONCE AGAIN inspiring me with words, actions or information.

Pure f'n Class!

Rob, that is so nice. I was just hoping for some guidance on what to do. I love that guitar will gladly accept extra tuners and make a contribution to the Austin Humane Society. Both our dogs were rescue dogs.

I will paypal for shipping also.

My address is:

John McIntyre

5107 China Garden Dr

Austin, Texas 78730

Thank you so much.

John

John...you're on! Sorry to be slow in responding, but I've been living in the car and the studio for the past three days. I have a lot of catching up to do at the house (and my wife's birthday is today), but I'll ship 'em off as soon as I can, today or tomorrow! And, in the small world department, my son is currently living in Austin. He and his girlfriend have a wonderful dog, Mojo...a rescue, from Austin Humane! This is just terrific!

Rob, thank you..Whenever you catch up. I hope your son is enjoying Austin. So much to do; Lakes, biking, and most of all a great music scene. If he's ever in a bind don't hesitate to shot me an email. What a small world.

John

Rob, thank you..Whenever you catch up. I hope your son is enjoying Austin. So much to do; Lakes, biking, and most of all a great music scene. If he's ever in a bind don't hesitate to shot me an email. What a small world.

John

John, thanks for the kind of offer a dad likes to hear. He's enjoying it as much as he can.... He and his partner are both working on PhD. dissertations, so there's not a lot of free time. She's at U.T. and he's actually enrolled at Utah. He's finished with coursework, so they combined households in Austin, to save money. Most of their outings consist of walking to a great little bar in the neighborhood, The Tigress, on North Loop. Buttons going to the post office within the hour....

Hey that's right across the street from Alex, my luthier when I need something, and my amp guy. Walter Higgins ran that shop until he retired. Everyone that played in Austin took their guitars to him.

I forgot to mention all the fun,funky Austin bars and cafe's. I have not frequented the Tigress but that whole area is very cool..Epoch coffee and a nice vinyl record store are just down the street.

Congratulations to your son finishing his PhD course work. Very impressive.

John

Rob, I got the tuner buttons and installed on my 20th Anniversary. Worked like a charm , back to playing again.

Thank You and I will make a donation to The Austin Humane Society this weekend..

John

Archived