Heritage Owners Club

Advice: Sweet 16 vs 550

Jeffrey

Ok, new to forum , need advice on first archtop purchase. First some background. Longtime player, mostly blues, "jazzy blues" now wanting to go straight ahead. I dig the L5 wes sound but don't have the budget. I have a line on a used Sweet 16 (good condition) with floating bridge, duncan 59 set in pickup for around $2250, also looking at a 550 with 2 seth lovers set in and TOM bridge for around $3300 I believe new.

I am aware of all spec differences, need some advice from anyone who has played both and can give comments on tone and also which would be the best deal. Certainly the Sweet 16 seems to be, but if the tone is closer to what I am looking for with the 550, I may go for it.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the HOC!

It's your money, but if I were to choose between a Sweet 16 and H550, the 16 would be a no brainer. My first Heritage purchase ever was a Sweet 16, and years later owned a 550. They are two different animals from construction, to size, to tone and finally, value.

Since you've already reviewed the specs of each, but have not mentioned that you've actually played either, I'll start there. Sweet 16's are a fantastic, compact (16" width) fully carved archtop. The feel and tone is top notch. It is no 'L5' by any stretch, but can get excellent, thick jazz tones.

The H550 is a great guitar, but all laminate construction. There is no arch to its top and back. It is relatively flat. They have all of the cosmetic goodies anyone could ask for, and that makes it a very attractive, lower cost jazz box...but it is not an archtop. The tones are very, very good, and has been favorably compared to a Tal Farlow by some jazz players. It is the same body width as an L5, but that's about the only similarity. The price seems 'OK' for a new 550, but there are quite a few on the used market to choose from at about $1,000 less than your quoted price.

Finally, the price you've been quoted for a used 16 seems about right, but it depends on the condition of that guitar. Sweet 16's are the top of the line archtop for that body size and has all of the upgrades Heritage offers. The only other upgrade/option is their 'Choice Woods' package. Some have it, and some do not. That has a positive impact on resale value.

Bottom line, these are both excellent guitars, but different animals.

It's a buyer's market for guitars, so check around, and feel free to negotiate with any sellers. Hope this helps.

Thank you Gitfiddler, I have played the Sweet 16 and liked the sound and feel. I will be playing the 550 and also a Guild gsr x-180 in the next week or two. My options are limited as I am only comfortable purchasing a guitar I can physically play and hear. So I have to watch for things within driving distance.

So if I hear you correctly, the Sweet 16 will get closer to the warm, fat jazz tone than the 550. If this is correct, then I will soon hear for myself and most likely have a decision made.

Thanks again.

Totally agree with Gitfiddler (Tim). And he would definitely know.

Every Sweet 16 I have played has sounded amazing. Custom carved box I can see why.

I have played a few H-550s and not so impressed.

If you are going for that Jazz sound the Sweet 16 will get you there

Welcome to the HOC!

It's your money, but if I were to choose between a Sweet 16 and H550, the 16 would be a no brainer. My first Heritage purchase ever was a Sweet 16, and years later owned a 550. They are two different animals from construction, to size, to tone and finally, value.

Since you've already reviewed the specs of each, but have not mentioned that you've actually played either, I'll start there. Sweet 16's are a fantastic, compact (16" width) fully carved archtop. The feel and tone is top notch. It is no 'L5' by any stretch, but can get excellent, thick jazz tones.

The H550 is a great guitar, but all laminate construction. There is no arch to its top and back. It is relatively flat. They have all of the cosmetic goodies anyone could ask for, and that makes it a very attractive, lower cost jazz box...but it is not an archtop. The tones are very, very good, and has been favorably compared to a Tal Farlow by some jazz players. It is the same body width as an L5, but that's about the only similarity. The price seems 'OK' for a new 550, but there are quite a few on the used market to choose from at about $1,000 less than your quoted price.

Finally, the price you've been quoted for a used 16 seems about right, but it depends on the condition of that guitar. Sweet 16's are the top of the line archtop for that body size and has all of the upgrades Heritage offers. The only other upgrade/option is their 'Choice Woods' package. Some have it, and some do not. That has a positive impact on resale value.

Bottom line, these are both excellent guitars, but different animals.

It's a buyer's market for guitars, so check around, and feel free to negotiate with any sellers. Hope this helps.

As usual, spot on....

Thanks for all your replies! Much appreciated.

Yooper, I have not played an Eagle Classic. I appreciate the consideration, however I think if I were to go that route I would go for a Golden Eagle with the extra bing.

Thanks again, I will be sure to post pictures when I make my final purchase.

Yooper, my humble apologies. I was mistaken in thinking the Classic did not have fret markers. Absolutely beautiful!

What year is she? If you were closer down state I would be interested in checking it out, or at least taking this conversation offline to discuss.

Archived