Heritage Owners Club

All American Heritage...

cosmikdebriis

This thread follows on from something I've just written in the Schaller pup thread...

After many discussions I've started on ways Heritage could "improve" the 150/157 with different hardware, construction, manufacturing techniques etc...

And with the aim of making a better guitar than Gibbon...

I've come to think the best thing Heritage could do was indeed to mimic the original Gibsons of the 50's (as distinct from later "Gibbons").

As such... Ditch the Schaller Hardware etc and go All American...

I'm not trying to argue there isn't room for improvement on those 50's guitars but just that Heritage have a unique position in the marketplace and as such should stick with them. Leave the "improvements" to PRS etc.

I've no doubt many of you, quite deservedly, are thinking... "told you so". But after all the discussions that's become opinion.  :rolleyes:

Welcome to the new old way of thinking :P

I dunno. Gibson was their thing. Heritage carved its own place out to stand.

My '88 H-140 with all the old Schaller stuff on it worked great, looked great, and even sounded better than my Les Paul.

The HRW pickups are great.

I'm not sure why 100% American made is much of a draw. The German stuff is great.

Saturn (GM) cars are most American cars you can get in terms of components. GM's dropping Saturn!

Why handicap Heritage with a market slant that doesn't work?

Hey cosmik,

My heritage 150 is perfect. I dont want it changed in any way. Ive played quite a few and theyre all pretty much complete and their own thing just as they are.

Mine has Seth's in it so that limits what Im going to get out of it stylistically but at the same time, its the reason I bought it. I wanted a low gain/clean bluesy guitar. The bridge works fine. So do the tuners. The body obviously resonates the way I like and the neck is just as I like it.

I dont understand your desire to change what I like about Heritage guitars.

I only ever buy guitars Ive played, so I always seem to find keepers that I dont have to mod to bring them into line with what I think a good guitar might be. I buy them for what they are.

I have some nice amps that compliment my guitars. So Im not feeling the need to mod my guitars to make up for the short comings of an amp.

Are you having a hard time finding a guitar you like based on its own merits? Or am I just too easily pleased? :)

Cosmiks been at this for awhile and the one thing he's always good at is getting a spirited debate started.  The Gbrand LP has parts on it that aren't made in the U.S. but it says made in the U.S.A. on the guitar.  A lot of times it's the manufacturers hooking up with a reliable supplier that's most important to them.  You need to have parts to get your product out the door and make a profit.

This thread follows on from something I've just written in the Schaller pup thread...

After many discussions I've started on ways Heritage could "improve" the 150/157 with different hardware, construction, manufacturing techniques etc...

And with the aim of making a better guitar than Gibbon...

I've come to think the best thing Heritage could do was indeed to mimic the original Gibsons of the 50's (as distinct from later "Gibbons").

As such... Ditch the Schaller Hardware etc and go All American...

I'm not trying to argue there isn't room for improvement on those 50's guitars but just that Heritage have a unique position in the marketplace and as such should stick with them. Leave the "improvements" to PRS etc.

I've no doubt many of you, quite deservedly, are thinking... "told you so". But after all the discussions that's become opinion.  :rolleyes:

Welcome to the new old way of thinking :P

Isn't there a European guitar, say a Hofner, that you could buy and be happy with?  :rolleyes:

Isn't there a European guitar, say a Hofner, that you could buy and be happy with?  :rolleyes:

I've got all sorts of guitars, some European (including English), some Japanese and some American that I'm mostly happy with...

On the whole I'm mostly happier with Heritages than anything else... :wink:

What about you?

I've got all sorts of guitars, some European (including English), some Japanese and some American that I'm mostly happy with...

On the whole I'm mostly happier with Heritages than anything else... :wink:

What about you?

Well I love Heritage guitars. They are my #1 brand. And being a capitalist, I always feel there is room for improvement.

I just thought I would return the favor seeing as you like to... istockphoto_1523068_stirring_the_po.jpg

I don't like any schaller stuff at all, I always replace it. it's ugly, bulky & too industrial looking. and I think their pups are sterile sounding.

plus their straplocks are hollow: there is no support from the bolt if they wear thru & snap off ( almost happened to me )

Cosmiks been at this for awhile and the one thing he's always good at is getting a spirited debate started. 

I can't deny it :police: but surely that's part of the forum "thing".  ???

I NEVER mean anyone any harm. Sometimes I get misunderstood or people react angrily to what I say, but there's never any malice intended on my part.

On the whole healthy debate is a good thing, Sometimes it will change an opinion and at others it just serves to re affirm what you already believe. Either way it's pretty harmless, just a load of old type on a page :P

I am new to discovering the Heritage magic, but in the short time I've researched them. It seems Schaller pickups/hardware get more than their fair share of hard knocks. Why is this? Are they poorly crafted? Are the materials inferior? Are there design flaws? Before I heard about Heritage guitars, I thought the Schaller brand was well respected.

I like their tuners. I like their strap locks. I am not a huge fan of their pickups but in this latest H150 I picked up the neck schaller is pretty clear and has a decent tone. Not weak and muddy like the pickups in the last H150 I had. Who knows.. I would need a bigger test group to really tell.

I have never had any complaints about Schaller hardware....the pups arent always the greatest.  I kept the Schaller hardware on the Gary Moore and the Silverburst 157, they sustain very well and sound awesome!

I can't deny it :police: but surely that's part of the forum "thing".  ???

I NEVER mean anyone any harm. Sometimes I get misunderstood or people react angrily to what I say, but there's never any malice intended on my part.

On the whole healthy debate is a good thing, Sometimes it will change an opinion and at others it just serves to re affirm what you already believe. Either way it's pretty harmless, just a load of old type on a page :P

I think your posts are great.  The response you get is what most forums need.  Some thoughtful and some emotional,  Keep em coming!

plus their straplocks are hollow: there is no support from the bolt if they wear thru & snap off ( almost happened to me )

Interesting..I've been using them for many years, and I've never had a problem with them.

Interesting..I've been using them for many years, and I've never had a problem with them.

Yeah I never considered them to be a wear item. Besides, if you put 'em in with American made 3" drywall screws, they'll never fail!

I think your posts are great.  The response you get is what most forums need.  Some thoughtful and some emotional,  Keep em coming!

Thanks for the support, I understand that sometimes I can be a bit if a pain in the arse for some But of the forums that I'm a member, this is still my favourite. 8)

Quite a lot of the debates we have on, for instance, Schaller hardware we've been over many times before and indeed many times before I joined. But that is exactly the point. I was a new member a couple of years ago, keen to have my say and learn. Nowadays we have new members with their opinions and I'm glad to see their contributions. Often I'm humbled by them.

For this forum to survive and thrive, I believe we should encourage debate, of all sorts, including subjects we've already covered. Otherwise, surely we just become an archive of information with the occasional "look at my new guitar" pictures. When Recently Korky, a new member, started the Schaller Pickups thread, it would have been easy to ignore him or just re direct him to some previous discussions on the subject. On the other hand though, if he's prepared to put the effort in to starting a thread, then I believe we should show him some respect and contribute. ??? Without him (and many others like him) :wink: Where would we be ???

As for me... Well I'm afraid I'm pig headed and thick skinned enough to carry on regardless... :rolleyes:

The only thing I have had an issue with is the hex nut that keeps the strap part actually on the strap unscrews all the time. As long as you keep an eye on it you are good. I did love one of those nuts. Found the strap lock but at this point I have two straps and WAY too many guitars so I got plenty of those lock parts around if I need them.

The only thing I have had an issue with is the hex nut that keeps the strap part actually on the strap unscrews all the time.

When I install mine, I use a ratchet, socket, and pliers, and then I tighten that sucker down tight!

The only thing I have had an issue with is the hex nut that keeps the strap part actually on the strap unscrews all the time. As long as you keep an eye on it you are good. I did love one of those nuts. Found the strap lock but at this point I have two straps and WAY too many guitars so I got plenty of those lock parts around if I need them.

ABSOLUTELY right. I checked the other day, and all my straps were loose.

When I install mine, I use a ratchet, socket, and pliers, and then I tighten that sucker down tight!

Yep, I did that the first time but you still have to keep an eye on them because they will become loose.

Other than that, I really love them!!

Archived