Heritage Owners Club

The Millie is officially SEMI-SOLID?!

LittleLeroy

According to a dictionary definition...Millie's are made like ice cream. :P

"Semisolid"

Definitions

from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

• adj. Intermediate in properties, especially in rigidity, between solids and liquids.
  • n. A semisolid substance, such as a stiff dough or firm gelatin.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

• adj. Having properties that partially resemble those of a solid; having properties between those of a solid and those of a liquid.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

• adj. Partially solid.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

• n. A surface composed of facets, like a geometrical solid, but not closing so as to inclose space.
  • Half-solid.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

• adj. partly solid; having a rigidity and viscosity intermediate between a solid and a liquid

they've done no favors by changing the classification over the years. This is befuddling to me. I always understood the Millie to be Semi Solid which immediately distinguished it from its brethren, which is as it should be. When and why they said screw it and called it semi-hollow is unknown to me. Wonder if Jim had a say in that. 

I think the Millie, and it's distinct construction, and it's provenance, (Duerloo design) should be highlighted and ridden as a major Heritage offering. Lumping it with 5 series guitars diminishes all of that.

The question is how are Millies different from other guitars called semi-hollow. It is substantially different.

My 2010 Brochure also describes Millies having, “semi-solid” bodies.

The most recent brochure has, “Carved curly maple top with chambered mahogany back and rim”, describing Millies. Maybe they didn't want to print an extra category for their semi-solid Millies?

The back on my Millie is carved Maple, not chambered mahogany. My pre-2010 Millie is semi-solid, in print and in fact. If the makers correct me, I'll accept it. But for now, I'm calling print errors, one way or the other.

Just to get my $.02 in here.  I see the Millies as Semi Hollow. Since there's a partial block thats in the routed framework, it's not a hollow body. But at the same time most of the body of the guitar is hollowed out thus making it semi hollow. IMO a semi solid would be a body thats mostly solid with a little routing and no F holes. Maybe routing for weight relief. Thats the way it is so get used to it!!!   :D  

Archived