Heritage Owners Club

the maple top on my 150 is much thicker than a gibson historic?

saxophonist56

Does my 2005 150 have a long or short neck tenon?

Thai interested me as I wasn't sure. I'd just assumed it was done the Gibbon way. Having said that Gibbon used both long and short tenon (or so I believe). So I pulled the neck pickup on my 157 to have a look....

Unfortunately I can't say I know the answer though. :rolleyes:

I'll take some pictures and get back to you...

Well. I know the tendon issue has been discussed before and clarified by Ren. I can't remember the exact answer but it put my mind at ease whatever the response was. I'm sure somebody will clarify.

As far as the maple cap, the way Gibson seems to be cutting corners I would be surprised. I saw/felt a couple Gibsons today- an R8, LP classic, and one of those new dark red ones. I am here to tell you that the crap that passes for $2500- $4999 that Gibson is putting out just amazes me.

Again, maybe at caught Gibson on a few bad examples, but if my 150s had Gibson on the headstock they would be Cust Shop Private stock! The action, frets, and feel of these Gibsons examples just wanted to make me to tell the owner (large private music store) to start carrying the original classics- Heritage. But I didn't, I kept my mouth shut because he just wouldn't GET IT.

Here are the pics as promised...

width=600 height=450http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll185/Heritageguitarpics/Details/DSC00049.jpg[/img]

And another with some lines outlining the maple cap.

width=600 height=450http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll185/Heritageguitarpics/Details/withtext.jpg[/img]

It seems pretty clear to me that the neck tenon does not extend in to the pickup cavity otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the line of the maple cap.

Below is a picture of a Japanese Greco LP copy with a long tenon neck...

longtennon.jpg

And finally another (earlier 70's Greco with their own (and my favourite) dowel and tenon design with two dowel rods running along the tenon joint adding to the stability 8)

doweltenon.jpg

Investiment grade Heritage, plus they play & sound better, cost less, and handmade by the last great iconic luthiers.

Wow, PRICELESS!!!

I feel lucky every time I look & play them, that they are mine. That I didn't wait 5-10 years from now when they are retired. That I can travel 4 hours North, shake their hands personally (without an appointment) and thank them for just being ... them and making my guitars!

I remember reading a thread on this and the consensus was heritage used a short neck tenon but they took extra time to make that fit extremely tight by hand with each neck socket being custom (like the guitars) . As a result in their opinion there was no negative from it being a short neck tenon. No filler or extra glue and sawdust is used to make the neck part of the body.

I remember reading a thread on this and the consensus was heritage used a short neck tenon but they took extra time to make that fit extremely tight by hand with each neck socket being custom (like the guitars) . As a result in their opinion there was no negative from it being a short neck tenon. No filler or extra glue and sawdust is used to make the neck part of the body.

I read the same thing and that in 2008 they started using a long tendon.

I don't care about the TENON. My 150's sound killer the way they are. :)

I'm with you. 100%

Guitar owners are such trainspotters its unbelievable.

The whole long tenon short tenon argument becomes redundant if a guitar sounds like crap and does nothing for you, or, conversely if the guitar gives you exactly what your looking for.

Imagine shopping for a guitar based on the length of the tenon ??? and not on a fundamental like tone, or, playability.

Marketing might make a big hullabaloo about the tenon, but crap cakes batman, whats marketing got to do with the real world.

grrrr, mumble mumble, rant grrr mumble :rolleyes: ;D

Once the singer, drummer, and bass kick in, what does it matter?

My guitars all have short tenons, and I think they sound great!

Exactly, I dare anyone who gives so much faith to the long/short tenon issue to listen to a recording or even a live band and tell me whether the guitar has a long or short tenon. In the right hands any guitar, be it a $99 first act or a $99999 gibson historic whatever they are marketing to lawyers this week, will sound and rock appropriately.

I really do not know...or care about the thickness of the maple.  However, I do care about the thickness of the TONE!  Heritage wins, hands down!

Karma up. Maybe one of the most relevant and to the point posts ever! ;D ;D

Archived