Heritage Owners Club

Heritage 535 bridge pickup sound

Kingsfield

I can't seem to get the sharp edge off the sound of the bridge pickup of my H535. I would love it to produce the fat and creamy sound, e.g. to be heard on the wonderful H535 soundclips Forum member Jacques put on his website (it approaches that great sound of 'Cause we've ended as lovers' by Jeff Beck - though that is probably a Les Paul). I bought my H535 as a classic, with S. Duncan pickups, but I can't really tell if they are (do you need to unscrew or open to find out? Haven't done that). I play it over a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp, using both the clean and drive channels.

How can I make it sound fatter, less sharp and metallic?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Haye

PS Here's another close-up of my beloved 535:

Foto 5.jpg

Foto 5.jpg_thumb

Lower the pups. It may help, but...

Then realize you need de-gassed Alnico 5 magnet humbuckers like Jason Lollar and Throbak make.

I had the same problem myself.

Good suggestion by Kuz.

Also consider working with your Vol. and Tone pots a bit. 

Here's my favorite Gitfiddler Tone recipe:

Slightly rolling back the Vol. to around '6' or '7'.

Next, roll back the Tone pot only enough to take off the trebly edge.

If any of the strings are too dominant, lower the corresponding p'up screw a bit.  (or raise others)

Grab a thick or extra thick pick and dig in for some bluesy string bends. 

Finally, push your tube amp's gain just past clean, to the edge of distortion;  and EQ to taste...until you get that Larry Carlton snarl.

When your face starts to get that uncontrollable 'tone smile', you are there! 8)

I would answer you pretty much the same as the Gitfiddler.  I even roll my tones all the way down sometimes.  I also blend the pick ups a lot of the time.....

But I think you are really looking for the Duncan '59s.  I can get that sound from Shallers if I add my mid booster. 

Kingsfield, I'd like to suggest that the amp may be at least part of the problem.  I had a Hot Rod Deluxe for a little (very little) while and found it harsh, brittle, and unappealing once I started using it much, especially the overdrive.  You might try re-tubing.  My amp tech did this for me, and it helped a good bit.  Somebody here will correct me if I'm wrong (Mars?), but I think the 12AX7's can be replaced with 12AY7's to soften that amp just a little.

...and Ice Picky is a good way to describe it.  I would look at selling the HRD and getting a DRRI.

Exactly, wingnut!  That ice pick quality made me get rid of that thing in short order!  The Deluxe re-ish is a great alternative; what can't you do with one of those?

Good suggestion by Kuz.

Also consider working with your Vol. and Tone pots a bit. 

Here's my favorite Gitfiddler Tone recipe:

Slightly rolling back the Vol. to around '6' or '7'.

Next, roll back the Tone pot only enough to take off the trebly edge.

If any of the strings are too dominant, lower the corresponding p'up screw a bit.  (or raise others)

Grab a thick or extra thick pick and dig in for some bluesy string bends. 

Finally, push your tube amp's gain just past clean, to the edge of distortion;  and EQ to taste...until you get that Larry Carlton snarl.

When your face starts to get that uncontrollable 'tone smile', you are there! 8)

Git....

Great advice to him. 

I have both a 535 and Prospect with Seth Lovers and I have found the ideal, "creamy" tone to be volume at 6 with tone at about 3.  I play through various amps, but predominantly am currently using a JC-90 and Polytone MBII.  For my tube amps I have to slightly adjust tone, but not much.

Jim C

Archived