Heritage Owners Club

Strap locks on a 575

je00143

HEllo, o great collection of wisdom!!

last night at rehearsal with my big band, my Heritage strap slipped out of the strap holder.  I did a magnificent job of catching my instrument in mid-air, avoiding

a terrible tragedy.

So now I am looking at strap locks.  But how does one install them with the jack coming out of the end strap holder??  Any ideas??  I looked at the photos on the

Heritage website but i guess my spatial acuity isn't that good  - could not figure out what went where, and that was the neck end, anyway.

Thank you for your assistance and good ideas.

je00':

Congratulations on the save!  Sounds like something you don't want to do ever again!  Mars' link is a good one to pursue.  I have a Super Eagle with the endpin jack.  I have found the flared end of the jack is just a bit larger than most strap buttons.  In fact, I wanted to put one of the nylon Dunlop Straploks (the one with the rotating cam-lock) on it, as I am really wiggy about anything happening to that box.  I do play it out a bit, standing up.  That flared endpin is just a hair too big for those strap locks.  I put a new strap on that guitar, and with the flair at the endpin, the fit is snug.  I just never take the strap off of that end of the guitar; the constant off and on would soften the leather and enlarge the hole.  With the jack in, the jack serves as a bit of extra security.  I'm very, very careful to check the fit of the strap over the jack every time I pick the guitar up!  It's just a habit.  At the other end, I've installed a Schaller strap lock, the expensive one, which I love.  Mine is drilled into the heel of the guitar's neck (the flat part of the heel, which is in the same plane as the back).  Balancing the guitar in any direction is not a problem.  Good luck.  Oh, and if you drill to install a strap lock, remember to rub the screw's threads across a candle.  The wax makes the screw a breeze to thread into the wood, and you greatly reduce the possibility that you'll split the wood, driving the screw home.

I permanently install my straps.  On an end pin jack like you have you may be able to trim a hole in the leather to fit the end pin and then wind a shoe string between the strap and end pin.  Trim off the unused string and it should hold.  You should have enough room in a 575's case to roll the strap up in.  It will also keep your guitar from sliding around in the case. 

I use "lacing tape" to do many things and it may be good for this too.  It is a braided cloth cord about an 1/8 inch wide, flat and waxed.  It is so fine it could go on both sides of the strap and even through the hole if you knew how to tie some nifty knots.  Hit me with a PM and I will mail you a few yards of it. 

Better yet send that 575 down here for a few days and I will figure something out.  :wink:

I permanently install my straps.  On an end pin jack like you have you may be able to trim a hole in the leather to fit the end pin and then wind a shoe string between the strap and end pin.  Trim off the unused string and it should hold.  You should have enough room in a 575's case to roll the strap up in.  It will also keep your guitar from sliding around in the case. 

I use "lacing tape" to do many things and it may be good for this too.  It is a braided cloth cord about an 1/8 inch wide, flat and waxed.  It is so fine it could go on both sides of the strap and even through the hole if you knew how to tie some nifty knots.  Hit me with a PM and I will mail you a few yards of it. 

Better yet send that 575 down here for a few days and I will figure something out.   :wink:

:this_thread_is_useless_withou

Bird

Share some pics.  I am interested in what you do, but can't visualize it.

Jim C

This may or may not help.  Since I don't usually use a strap with the 475 I just simulated how I would do this.  I didn't pull the knot tight because you wouldn't have been able to see it and I wanted to get it off.  This attaches the strap to the end pin for backup. 

On my electrics I use these over sized strap buttons to hold the strap on permanently. 

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/strapbu...s_oversized.htm

width=600 height=398http://www.ronwarren.com/endpin/img_0086_std.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=398http://www.ronwarren.com/endpin/img_0087_std.jpg[/img]

This picture is here just to have a chance to show my baby.  :)

width=600 height=398http://www.ronwarren.com/endpin/img_0083_std.jpg[/img]

Archived