Heritage Owners Club

535 - what pickups?

Taller

I just put a set of Wolftone Legends in an Eastman SB57 and really like them. I use them for blues and rockin blues. They are not too hot or muddy but hot enough to drive the amp. I replaced the Lollar imperials that came in the guitar. Those were great pickups too and I’m keeping them for the future but I wanted unpotted pickups and the Legends filled that need.  The neck pickup does sound better than the Imperial, more clear and defined. The bridge is on par with the Imperial but a little more raw at higher volumes which is what I wanted. They are also reasonably priced too. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 9:23 AM, zguitar71 said:

I just put a set of Wolftone Legends in an Eastman SB57 and really like them. I use them for blues and rockin blues. They are not too hot or muddy but hot enough to drive the amp. I replaced the Lollar imperials that came in the guitar. Those were great pickups too and I’m keeping them for the future but I wanted unpotted pickups and the Legends filled that need.  The neck pickup does sound better than the Imperial, more clear and defined. The bridge is on par with the Imperial but a little more raw at higher volumes which is what I wanted. They are also reasonably priced too. 

I can see why you prefer the Wolfetones! I have a Legend in the neck of my Zemaitis, and I love it there. It has the clarity that really works in the neck. And when you plug it into a gained up amp it sings. I've said it many times, I think it's harder to find a great neck pickup than a bridge. But when a neck pickup is right it's amazing how much more you use it.

Although I liked the Legend bridge pickup, I wanted to go with a hotter pickup in the bridge to fill out the mids, so I used a Wolfetone Fenris, and although it's listed as a high output pickup, it still retains what I like about un-potted PAF style pickups. Wolf winds great sounding responsive pickups.

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2023 at 4:53 PM, rockabilly69 said:

I can see why you prefer the Wolfetones! I have a Legend in the neck of my Zemaitis, and I love it there. It has the clarity that really works in the neck. And when you plug it into a gained up amp it sings. I've said it many times, I think it's harder to find a great neck pickup than a bridge. But when a neck pickup is right it's amazing how much more you use it.

Although I liked the Legend bridge pickup, I wanted to go with a hotter pickup in the bridge to fill out the mids, so I used a Wolfetone Fenris, and although it's listed as a high output pickup, it still retains what I like about un-potted PAF style pickups. Wolf winds great sounding responsive pickups.

I just flipped the neck magnet around to get an out of phase sound and I love it. It got some attention at my last gig. 

4 hours ago, zguitar71 said:

I just flipped the neck magnet around to get an out of phase sound and I love it. It got some attention at my last gig. 

That tone just cuts through the room doesn't it! Glad to hear you're loving the Legends!

Funny, one of my best friends loves the OOP tone, and constantly teases me about having MJ not flip the magnet in my SD Custom shop Peter Green set. He's a huge T-Bone and Peter Green fan. I like those tones too, but I love the standard middle position for Dickey Betts style tones more and that's a tone that I use a lot :)

• 3 weeks later...

'59 in the neck  Seth in the bridge .. perfect set for this instrument.   I have many PAF's in my collection , these are among my fave's.  Lollar's and Fralin's are my other go to choices.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm totally happy with ThroBak ER Customs in my 535., with their short un-potted A5's. Wound on vintage winder from old Gibson days. They deliver what the SD 59s didn't. Jon at ThroBak has them in his 535.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yooper said:

I'm totally happy with ThroBak ER Customs in my 535., with their short un-potted A5's. Wound on vintage winder from old Gibson days. They deliver what the SD 59s didn't. Jon at ThroBak has them in his 535.

Jon told me that his ER Customs are the hottest pickups they sell.  Amazing p'ups.

• Like 2