Heritage Owners Club

Almost Got My First Heritage

ForestLemon

There is an H-140 for sale locally, but the back of the headstock was sanded and with it the serial number was sanded off. I was ready to buy it for $1k, but it's in kind of rough shape and the missing serial number just killed it for me. It's a bummer as I was really looking forward to playing my first Heritage, but missing serial numbers are a huge red flag for me. Hopefully I can find another one in my price range some day.

Screenshot_20231108_031754_craigslist.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_031731_craigslist.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_031812_craigslist.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_031955_craigslist.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_031934_craigslist.jpg

Edited by ForestLemon

4 minutes ago, Heritage1970 said:

Any links you can share to get to it? Or is it just someone locally selling it for sale, in person only?

It's just for sale in Craigslist local only. He said he would entertain a lower offer so its a tough decision whether I should pull the trigger.

Edited by ForestLemon

10 minutes ago, Heritage1970 said:

Hmmm .. interesting guitar. I hear you though, it's a tough call 

Yeah it's a tough choice because it's has so many weird attributes. I don't doubt it's real, just what has been done to it. Almost looks like the whole guitar has been stripped of the finish. Considering offering him less, but the case doesn't look right, no model distinction on the control plate, and the Gibson vintage tuners are just odd.

1 hour ago, ForestLemon said:

Yeah it's a tough choice because it's has so many weird attributes. I don't doubt it's real, just what has been done to it. Almost looks like the whole guitar has been stripped of the finish. Considering offering him less, but the case doesn't look right, no model distinction on the control plate, and the Gibson vintage tuners are just odd.

I really wish there was a picture of the face of the headstock. That kind of concerns me too. It definitely looks like a real heritage though. And I do know that Heritage used some Gibson tuners in the early days. I have definitely seen that before. But man I would really love to see the front of the headstock on this thing!

Removed serial no. could be a sign of a stolen guitar at some point in its life.I once bought a Martin,

got it home,checked the serial number,which made no sense,and the guitar was back with the dealer

at 9.00am the following morning.

• Like 1

H-140s are great guitars.    Clearly this one is a real Heritage.  The label is vintage early Heritage,   the "Les Paul 1979"  is strange, but it could be a very early build.    It appears to be refinished, which is not uncommon, especially for folks who don't like the original cherry burst.  (ask Detroit Blues... he's done that very thing).  Also,  there are LOTs of folks who have thing about glossy necks.   It might also indicate a headstock break that was expertly repaired.    I would contact the seller and get some back story on it. 

The Schaller hardware is pure early Heritage.   Clearly the electronics have been changed, but that's not much of a issue.   These weren't made to be collectibles, they were designed to be played, so anything goes.  Clearly it's a player grade guitar.  Cases get worn out if you're playing professionally.   As long as the case it solid, that's not a problem.

I would say it's worth a visit if it's a local guitar.   Maybe offer $850 or 900 if things are in order.   Consider it "artisan aged" and it would add $500 to the price!!! ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heritage1970 said:

I really wish there was a picture of the face of the headstock. That kind of concerns me too. It definitely looks like a real heritage though. And I do know that Heritage used some Gibson tuners in the early days. I have definitely seen that before. But man I would really love to see the front of the headstock on this thing!

Looks to be all good on the front.

63334.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRich said:

H-140s are great guitars.    Clearly this one is a real Heritage.  The label is vintage early Heritage,   the "Les Paul 1979"  is strange, but it could be a very early build.    It appears to be refinished, which is not uncommon, especially for folks who don't like the original cherry burst.  (ask Detroit Blues... he's done that very thing).  Also,  there are LOTs of folks who have thing about glossy necks.   It might also indicate a headstock break that was expertly repaired.    I would contact the seller and get some back story on it. 

The Schaller hardware is pure early Heritage.   Clearly the electronics have been changed, but that's not much of a issue.   These weren't made to be collectibles, they were designed to be played, so anything goes.  Clearly it's a player grade guitar.  Cases get worn out if you're playing professionally.   As long as the case it solid, that's not a problem.

I would say it's worth a visit if it's a local guitar.   Maybe offer $850 or 900 if things are in order.   Consider it "artisan aged" and it would add $500 to the price!!! ?

I spoke to the seller on the phone and he seems like a decent guy. Says the serial number is still visible in person so I'm going to check it out tomorrow. I also emailed Heritage and they said they couldn't confirm it for sure without a serial number, but looks right for an H-140 and they think it's been refinished as well. The seller is looking to fund another guitar purchase so he said he would take $800.

Probably the only two guys who REALLY could clarify this (especially the "Les Paul" writing on the label) would be Jim or Marv.   I don't know if Rendall was there from the very beginning, maybe even before the incorporation.  Certainly they would have known they couldn't sell a Heritage as a Les Paul.  

Anyone know what the label said on the prototype that hung on the wall for so many years at the bottom of the steps?

Also, looking at the headstock,  I'm still not convinced that there wasn't a repair done.  However, if there was one,  it looks to have been very clean and solid.   I would pull the truss rod cover and check the wood underneath.

$800 is a good price.   It will need a good cleaning and polishing.  The fretboard looks pretty gunky.

• Like 1

I ended up purchasing it for $800 today. It's definitely been pretty heavily modified, but plays and sounds great. Upon further examination the model number was on the sticker, just faded. It indicates the guitar was originally Cherry Red, and it has definitely been stripped of the finish. There are still bits of the original finish in the routes.

It has been refretted,  and the strange part is the fretboard was finished black, I'm assuming at the same time. I suspect the headstock was also refinished and a new logo added at some point. Because there is some chipping by the nut that has black finish in it. Pickups have been swapped for Dimarzio 36th Anniversary and the electronics are all newer as well. Altogether it's a collectors worst nightmare, but it plays and sounds great, so I'm happy with it. 

20231110_034450.jpg

20231110_034222.jpg

20231110_034140.jpg

20231110_034623.jpg

• Like 2

Man,  if you want a player,  that's IT!  People pay big money to make a new guitar look like that.   Honest wear is different.  It's not surprising that is plays and sounds good.   Bad guitars don't get played like that.   The refret would be of no concern,  a guitar that has been played that much will have worn frets.   New ones just give it more life.

As for the refinish,   this is one that DetroitBlues had.   Before and after.     

gallery_2255_333_917370.jpggallery_2255_333_42785.jpg

• Like 1

I emailed Heritage about the guitar, and Mike confirmed that D25423 would in fact be the serial number, during it to 1987. Also after closer investigation, I think the fretboard is actually Ebony rather than Rosewood, which is kind of cool. I originally thought it had been painted due to how dark it is, but the wood is the same color in damage around the fret edges from when the originals were pulled. You can also still see the original finish on the sides in some places so I know the fretboard wasn't replaced. Thanks everyone for your help with this guitar, it's turned out to have quite the story.

20231113_123850.jpg

20231113_124912.jpg

20231113_123653.jpg

• Like 3