Heritage Owners Club

2020 - 2023 H-150 Std or H-150 CC Artisian Aged

I really don't like relic'd guitars, but they do seem to have thinner finishes, and many of them that I have pickup up, and played next to their non relic'd counterparts, do seem a little louder acoustically. But I think a lot of the resonance is lost electrically if the pickups are potted, losing their ability to sense the vibration of the wood, and all custom cores have potted pickups. 

I say if you're buying online, and it's really tough decision, get a good return policy and buy both. Return the one that loses the comparison.

Looks like the OP bought himself a Bartlett, which to me, is a guitar that was built by a master builder, and who has a great wood stash. I've never heard a bad Bartlett! There's a guy on the Les Paul Forum that has done some killer demos of Bartletts (I think he's owned three), and all of them sounded very vintage sounding to me in the best way.

That said...

I still can't get behind relic'ing, I'm just not a fan, no matter who does it! As for the quote "the finish is aged, faded, and checked naturally" in the description of the Bartlett, I don't get that. Because I have a different definition of naturally. To me, that means it was done by actually playing and owning the instrument, and earning those wear marks. It doesn't mean frozen by leaving it outside (or in a freezer) to check, or slicing the finish with a razor blade, Or using acid on the metal parts to get them to discolor of corrode, or tapping little dings into a finish. But to each his own so to say, and if aging makes the guitar feel or play better to the owner that's what really counts. Many players that I respect love aging, and some of them are very close friends of mine.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Looks like the OP bought himself a Bartlett, which to me, is a guitar that was built by a master builder, and who has a great wood stash. I've never heard a bad Bartlett! There's a guy on the Les Paul Forum that has done some killer demos of Bartletts (I think he's owned three), and all of them sounded very vintage sounding to me in the best way.

The guitar he bought says, "Built by apprentice of Tom Bartlett (Bartlett Guitars)".   So is it a Bartlett guitar or made by someone who used to work there and it is not a Bartlett guitar.

It is gorgeous, whoever made it.

2 hours ago, Kuz said:

The guitar he bought says, "Built by apprentice of Tom Bartlett (Bartlett Guitars)".   So is it a Bartlett guitar or made by someone who used to work there and it is not a Bartlett guitar.

Must have read that one while I was falling asleep on the couch after a gig :)

No matter to all ~ apprentice to Tom Bartlett or Ren Wall and his original partners at Heritage 225 means a good thing.  Right?

None of them were slouches.  But yes, the LP I bought was hand built as described by a a guy mentored and taught by Tom Bartlett.

And the samll batch one of a kind attention to every detail by artists is something I know as a non artist I DON'T know.

I trust Heritage, through proper maketing and QC, will be around for a while.  I'll happily buy one later! 😳

15 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

But I think a lot of the resonance is lost electrically if the pickups are potted, losing their ability to sense the vibration of the wood, and all custom cores have potted pickups. 

I could not agree more, I always change the pickup in any guitar I buy to non potted. If I’m in the market for a guitar I assume the cost will be a few hundred more for a new set of unpotted pickups. 

13 hours ago, Kuz said:

Any pictures of the LP? 

11 hours ago, hopkinwfg said:

It brand gibson thou.... the top is amazing !!! This must have been western maple flame for warmer tone !!

it's a knockoff, Bartlett has been doing burst replicas for awhile. And I think those tight flames look more like Eastern Maple.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spectrum13 said:

How does he get away branding it Gibson?

Probably the same way that Kris Derrig did when he made the Les Paul that Slash used.    It's unlikely Gibson will come after you if you make a couple of guitars, but start making a bunch and the lawyers will be working overtime sending cease and desist orders.

The problem comes in when you start selling it as a Gibson.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Photo doucumentary of the handcrafted build of this guitar posted in 'The Family Tree' for anyone interested.

'59 REPLICA 6.jpg

• Like 1