Heritage Owners Club

Good drum machine for home recording

Hi all! First off let me say I'm not a drum machine guy. In any way shape or form! Every recording I've ever done my entire life has been with a real drummer and I don't plan on changing that ever! That being said, I'm looking to get something to lay down a decent drum track that I can run right into my 8-track recorder and it will sound decent. I have absolutely no experience or knowledge of drum machines at all, I have heard that Beat Buddy is pretty good, and I have heard people talk about other models that actually adapt to the song that is playing to make a perfect beat. Again I know nothing about it so hoping some of you have some experience with home recording and can suggest one that's user friendly but actually does a great job too. Thanks everyone!

• Upvote 1

Hey,

For a simple but awesome sounding drum app for your phone, try LOOPZ.

It was created by Paul Davids (guitar youtuber).

It is not a drum machine but it is great for jamming. I run mine through my bluetooth speaker.

• Like 1

I've got an Alesis  SR18.   I like the drum sounds,   but I never had the patience to do any programming of it.   It does have some usable patterns.   I used it with my Yamaha AW1600 years ago to do a version of Inner City Blues with only factory patterns.  

You can also feed it midi tracks from a computer and feed that to your 8 track.

I've since moved to MT Power Drumkit in my DAW, although you could send the audio output from your computer to your recorder.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Anthony said:

Hey,

For a simple but awesome sounding drum app for your phone, try LOOPZ.

It was created by Paul Davids (guitar youtuber).

It is not a drum machine but it is great for jamming. I run mine through my bluetooth speaker.

Thanks! I'll definitely check it out!

18 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

I've got an Alesis  SR18.   I like the drum sounds,   but I never had the patience to do any programming of it.   It does have some usable patterns.   I used it with my Yamaha AW1600 years ago to do a version of Inner City Blues with only factory patterns.  

You can also feed it midi tracks from a computer and feed that to your 8 track.

I've since moved to MT Power Drumkit in my DAW, although you could send the audio output from your computer to your recorder.  

Thanks!