Heritage Owners Club

dougs plugs and other feedback fighters

eor

ok hollowbody guys, how do you do it?  i really want to jump in somehow, but feedback scares me as i tend to use a lot of volume and a lot of gain.  a lot.  my very brief experiements at shops have produced very poor results.  howling even playing clean at bedroom volumes.  that won't do.  even with ply-bodied hollows, i got about the same.  i love feedback, but when i cause it, not the wolfyness that pokes through between each note.

would plugged f-holes more or less neutralize the problem?  would they make solid bodies about as safe as ply guits?  the uncontrollable feedback is pretty much the only thing keeping me from a 575, a ply body or hollows in general.  i'm not all interested in a thinline hollow, either, for whatever reason.  i want a big box, as i love that sound, both clean and super distorted.  thanks!

heh, a metal zone was my very first pedal.  used it for years as my primary source of distortion.  but i was in high school and played only thrash metal.  over time, it kinda fell out of favor, and i prefer amp distortion now.  i don't even know where mine is anymore, but i'd like to try it out as a boost. 

something about the p-rails seems very wrong to me.  and very right, as i am a tinkerer by nature and tend to have pulls and taps and such on my guitar sooner or later.  any clips of that guitar?  i wonder if the sd custom shop would make a covered version...

ok hollowbody guys, how do you do it? i want a big box, as i love that sound, both clean and super distorted.  thanks!

I play a 576 and a Super Eagle....  How do I do "it"?  I play amps with headroom...and I turn it

down.

That "big box...sound" super distorted?  No such animal!  (Nugent killed, gutted, and dressed it.)

heh, a metal zone was my very first pedal.  used it for years as my primary source of distortion.  but i was in high school and played only thrash metal.  over time, it kinda fell out of favor, and i prefer amp distortion now.  i don't even know where mine is anymore, but i'd like to try it out as a boost. 

something about the p-rails seems very wrong to me.  and very right, as i am a tinkerer by nature and tend to have pulls and taps and such on my guitar sooner or later.  any clips of that guitar?  i wonder if the sd custom shop would make a covered version...

I posted a full tone report you can search for it but the mp3 server the clips were on is long gone so there will be no audio just opinion.. I love the sound of the p-rails in the 575 for rockabilly.. they get dirty..ie chrunchy quick ..

You can do this!!!!

Feedback is a controllable issue, personally I like my pickups to be at the verge of feedback, it makes the guitar more touch sensitive for me and when I dig in I get the grind and harmonics and power I like to hear.

When I want clean I roll the volume back on the guitar to the point the volume is mildly reduced, but the guitar tames down and behaves it's self. To a nice clean open tone.

Any custom pickup builder worth their salt can get you where you want to be with a H-535.

It's in the magnets and the windings, I would call Jason Lollar ( http://www.lollarguitars.com/ )or Pete Biltoft ( http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/about.html ) or any other other great pickup builders out there.

Personally I like the AlNiCo II and III magnets and the pickups kinda weak, they have a natural warm tone and that also allows me to crank my amps and get the tubes saturated and in the tone zone.

keep trying!!!!

From Dutchman: For some reason, his post isn't showing up.

You can do this!!!!

Feedback is a controllable issue, personally I like my pickups to be at the verge of feedback, it makes the guitar more touch sensitive for me and when I dig in I get the grind and harmonics and power I like to hear.

When I want clean I roll the volume back on the guitar to the point the volume is mildly reduced, but the guitar tames down and behaves it's self. To a nice clean open tone.

Any custom pickup builder worth their salt can get you where you want to be with a H-535.

It's in the magnets and the windings, I would call Jason Lollar ( http://www.lollarguitars.com/  )or Pete Biltoft ( http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/about.html  )

or any other other great pickup builders out there.

Personally I like the AlNiCo II and III magnets and the pickups kinda weak, they have a natural warm tone and that also allows me to crank my amps and get the tubes saturated and in the tone zone.

keep trying!!!!

EOR, i have a H 525 which is a laminated top and back, full hollow.  I was very hesitant to buy it because it was a full hollow and i love hard rock too!!!  It also has Lollar P-90s in it too.  I am able to control the feedback w/ very much sucsess.  But i think it has to do w/ the fact that it has a laminated top VS a solid top...at least that is what i have been told... ;D

I guess what i'm tring to say is maybe you should try a 525?

width=600 height=450http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/ebmmquilt/525/P1010052.jpg[/img]

You can do this!!!!

From Dutchman ....

//////////////////////////////////

It's in the magnets and the windings, I would call Jason Lollar ( http://www.lollarguitars.com/  )or Pete Biltoft ( http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/about.html  )

or any other other great pickup builders out there.

keep trying!!!!

///////////////////////

Seems to be working for me.

Seems like I can't post Dutchmans comments either, although they do show up in preview !

Weird must be a character in the input that's making the post blank, or maybe he is using a mac or an unsupported browser ?

Where there's a will there's a way ...

screenshot of Dutchmans "invisible" post from earlier

width=600 height=424http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/SouthpawGuy/various/dutchman.jpg[/img]

8)

All it takes is headroom & a sense of where you are in relation to the amp/cabs.  If you want no feed back 3" from your amp, facing it & with it turned to 11...I suggest an alernative reality. You can make a 4"x4" piece of pressure treated timber feedback under those conditions.

Eor,

Do you have any examples as to what sound you are looking for? I'm just wondering if the sound you are chasing is coming from a guitar other than what you are after. What songs or artists have the sound you like and what guitars were they using?

I don't have problems with unwanted feedbacks with my 555 or 535 at all.

I use 59ers in my 535 and (whatever) Schallers in my 555. Eventhough the Schallers are really high output and I play sometimes more or less "gainy" (stuff like: Parisienne Walkways, Still git the b....), I can tame the feedback beast. It has to be the right angel to the speakers, etc., that's about it.

My Sweet 16 is unplayable in small rooms.. fuggehdaboutit ..e.g 10 X 10 rehearsal space,  even with dougs plugs...in a larger areas, with more room , without a sax player breathing into the f holes, the plugs make a huge difference..remember these are carved top guitars and tap tuned..the tops are meant to vibrate,  but with volume and resonating harmonics from other instruments, they start sounding out of tune real quick, because they are throwing out sympathetic vibrations..string harmonics start getting nasty..

the trick is to have your guitar volume set reasonably, (you want your pickup throwing out clean) and then playing through a clean amp with enough headroom, so that you can get decent volume.. but frankly, however much I love the carved top, its really for playing a quiet duo or trio..

For anything else, I have the H-550 which is a working guitar, albeit without the carved top subtlety but a decent tone without all the hassles of a carved top

Archived