Heritage Owners Club

Line 6

Anybody have any Line6 amps?

What is you opinion of them?

I am looking at the Bogner models.

Thanks

That is totally a person to person call. The Bogner Spidervalves are their best showing in my opinion... but they still just don't do it for me. I use the PODx3 for recording and I am very happy with that though. There is just something about Line6's amps that just don't do it for me.

Not saying they sound bad. Not at all. They do sound good.

I'm too much of a tube snob to use Line6. I know a lot of country players were using them for a bit. But then, they were using Vox, too. And then Dr. Z ... and then whatever the flavor of the month became. Altho', I should probably get off my snobby horse and go try one of the Spidervalves. Could just blow me away.  :undecided:

got 2 line 6 duoverbs ; solid state,no special effects but emmulates different amps(vox ac 15 +30,blackface,soldano,rectifier etc,.) best s.s. amp i've ever used. 2 celestion 80 speakers,100 watts,real nice amp.

I use a Flextone XLII for gigging ( It's really easy/convenient. One footboard has it all: effects, wah, volume, and the amp models are decent. I can get about 5 good settings that I use all the time. It's been in use now for 9 years now. I like not having to worry about tubes going bad. I had a Peavey Classic 30 that I had before this. Although it was a good amp, for cover stuff, this is much better (we do 'Madonna to Motown to Metallica') for versatility. God help me if I go down the road of pedals and pedalboards. Having this has saved me (and saved me more money to buy more pretty guitars).

Re: Flextone XLII...I've looked at those modeler-in-amp amps, and wondered if it wouldn't make more sense to go with something like the Pod XT Live and a nice clean power amp. I suppose you give up portability and "all-in-one" convenience, though.  On the other hand...can you update the models/firmware in the Flextone?

I got a Flextone III for around $350. For $350 it is worth it, 2x12.

But well the tone are OK they are only about 85% there. Plus it is heavy as hell. But what the heck for a price of a good pedal....

I have a buddy that gigs a Flextone III 1x12 with the extension cab. He has great tone in his fingers and makes the amp sound very nice. He likes the reliability of solid state.

With that said I thought of selling it (I have a great collection of tube amps), but I'll probably keep it for the kids- it has all the gimmicks.

The Line6 Spider Valve with the little Bogner logo on it can be quite good.

But the effects are not completely tweakable. You cant set repeats and and time and effect level on the delay for example. You can just dial in what they give you at any given point.

The gain does have that slight digital thing going on. There is an overall digital haze?? about the sound.

Lot of younger guys/metal heads like them because they can get a stack of gain out of them. The clean can be quite good.

On a side note;

The one we've had on the floor for 6mths sounds better than a new one out of the box. I think its because the speaker has been broken in.

The Line6 Spider Valve with the little Bogner logo on it can be quite good.

But the effects are not completely tweakable. You cant set repeats and and time and effect level on the delay for example. You can just dial in what they give you at any given point.

The gain does have that slight digital thing going on. There is an overall digital haze?? about the sound.

Lot of younger guys/metal heads like them because they can get a stack of gain out of them. The clean can be quite good.

On a side note;

The one we've had on the floor for 6mths sounds better than a new one out of the box. I think its because the speaker has been broken in.

Funny, the consensus over here at my local private owned shop that has all the Line 6 stuff, is that the Flextone 3 sounds better than the Spider Valve. I compared the two myself and also agree. The Spider valve is kinda like a compromise that totally goes against their original intention of 'digital modeling can sound great without tubes'. I was already to buy a Spider til I played  one.

Its one of those things you want to like but it just misses. For me at least. Others really like them.

Ive dialed in some reasonable sounds through them but I honestly cant see how its better than a cheap S/H 80's fender valve amp and a couple of good stomps.  The line 6 vetta is pretty cool. Bit on the hard rock metal side though.

Its one of those things you want to like but it just misses. For me at least. Others really like them.

Ive dialed in some reasonable sounds through them but I honestly cant see how its better than a cheap S/H 80's fender valve amp and a couple of good stomps.  The line 6 vetta is pretty cool. Bit on the hard rock metal side though.

THAT IS DEAD ON! It has come VERY close to me liking them... and wanting one... but there is just something that doesn't do it for me personally. It isn't that it isn't tube or whatever. Don't really care about that. I use the PODx3 all the time and enjoy it. I really wanted to like the Line6 amps. I really did.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience......

1.  Day 1.......Bought brand new.....took it home....DOA.

2.  Day 2.......Returned & exchanged.....took it home.....while using it the volume would seem to go to 10 on its own, blow me out the room and then get very quiet.

3.  Day 3.......Returned & exchanged......tested the amp in store prior to taking home......DOA out of the sealed box.

4.  Day 3.......Told them to keep the Line 6 and bought a used Fender Twin RI for the same money......no problems.

moral of the story.......beware.

JMHO

Jim C

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Line 6 Flextone II XL.  I bought it new about 6 years ago and I've never had a problem with it.  I have really just begun to mess around with it like I should.  I think they are pretty versatile for what I do with it.  I only play at my house at bedroom levels, so it works in that aspect.  I do have a 1967 Fender Deluxe Reverb that sounds GREAT!  I have compared the modeled version of this amp side by side with my Flextone.  I have to say it does not sound like the Fender at all.  I can get a good clean tone, but nothing like the Fender.  I mostly use the line 6 for heavy metal/rock stuff anyway.  I also have to add that the I don't like the line 6 gear with pedals.  I think pedals sound great with a good tube amp.  my .02 worth.

I've got a Line 6 Flextone II XL.  I bought it new about 6 years ago and I've never had a problem with it.  I have really just begun to mess around with it like I should.  I think they are pretty versatile for what I do with it.  I only play at my house at bedroom levels, so it works in that aspect.  I do have a 1967 Fender Deluxe Reverb that sounds GREAT!  I have compared the modeled version of this amp side by side with my Flextone.  I have to say it does not sound like the Fender at all.  I can get a good clean tone, but nothing like the Fender.  I mostly use the line 6 for heavy metal/rock stuff anyway.   I also have to add that the I don't like the line 6 gear with pedals.  I think pedals sound great with a good tube amp.   my .02 worth.

I'll make you a one time can't beat it offer.

I'll give you my Flextone III (like new) plus 20 whole dollars for that 1967 Deluxe Reverb.

Hurry before I change my mind.

i have a pod II. when i hav recorded with it I have been pretty happy with the modeling tones i get out of it. As soon as you plug through an amp tough those models don't sound very close to what they are supposed to be. Cool recording tool  useless as live sound gear. Still worth having though. I would never use a ss amp as my main gig amp. Just too sterile unless I jumped into a time machine and it was 1986 again that is. Then I would be digging it.

i have a pod II. when i hav recorded with it I have been pretty happy with the modeling tones i get out of it. As soon as you plug through an amp tough those models don't sound very close to what they are supposed to be. Cool recording tool  useless as live sound gear. Still worth having though. I would never use a ss amp as my main gig amp. Just too sterile unless I jumped into a time machine and it was 1986 again that is. Then I would be digging it.

I've been playing around with my PODXT and found that you can't use any kind of guitar amp.  It sounds much better if I use a full range system, or a small PA that is more "hi fi" in sound.  Otherwise you end up putting the sound of a Marshall through a Fender or Peavey which just mucks it all up. 

When I went to see the "Music of Led Zeppelin" show with the Louisville Orchestra,  George Cintron used a POD 2.0.    I was surprised to see that little red kidney shaped box.  When I went to their web site, there it was:

What equipment/instruments do you use?

"Steinburger w/ Trans Trem, Pod 2.0, Roland guitar synth, Cry Baby Wah"

I guess it makes for a really compact touring rig!

^ +1

i tried my Pod XTL in an amp and it souded like crap....but works great for PA/computer recording....sounds wonderful.

Exactly my experience. I leave my PODx3 permanently connected to my recording equipment. For recording, it sounds great. I did that recording I posted here for guitar with it.

I had a Flextone II for at least 5 years..Dearly loved that amp..The floorboard was killer. The only reason I don't still have it is I fell in love with my H-140 and needed it as part of the deal to make it work..So now I play through a Blues Junior, which I like, but sometimes I really miss the nasty overdrives that thing could produce..My favorite was a Soldano Superoverdrive..So dirty it sounded clean..If that makes any sense..

I had a Flextone II for at least 5 years..Dearly loved that amp..The floorboard was killer. The only reason I don't still have it is I fell in love with my H-140 and needed it as part of the deal to make it work..So now I play through a Blues Junior, which I like, but sometimes I really miss the nasty overdrives that thing could produce..My favorite was a Soldano Superoverdrive..So dirty it sounded clean..If that makes any sense..

I have the XTLive. My fav amp mod is the Soldano. I dont really use the XTL very often though.

Does anyone here own a Variax?

I actually had a Variax for about a week..Sounded great but then it started cutting out,,So rather than take a chance I returned it and got a LP Special..

• 2 months later...
^ +1

i tried my Pod XTL in an amp and it souded like crap....but works great for PA/computer recording....sounds wonderful.

Hi Brent, I set my POD (kidney bean) a side. It does sound great through my playback PA through a good mixer with a little verb, I could never get it to sound good through my amp live. Great at the house : ) Just give me tubes and verb and and gone. See ya Al B

I'll make you a one time can't beat it offer.

I'll give you my Flextone III (like new) plus 20 whole dollars for that 1967 Deluxe Reverb.

Hurry before I change my mind.

Ha Ha..Can't blame a guy for trying.

Archived