Heritage Owners Club

My new Heritage 535 has arrived!

Nash535

Well it is here! My new 535 almond burst and all I can say is WOW! What a beautiful guitar. This is what I have been looking for. A beautiful yet not over the top sunburst. Very cool.

The neck is awesome as well. It kinda like a beefier 60's neck. It works so much better than my old 335. This guitar is sweet.

The SD '59s pair great through my '66 Deluxe and I am there. It's what I am looking for.

The only downside is that it smelled a little like smoke. I polished it up and left it outside and it seems to have subsided a bit.

I will post pics as soon as I can.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Chris

Congrats on your new guitar. I find the case to hold the smell of smoke more than the guitar itself. Sprinkle a little carpet fresh with baking soda in your case and vacuum it out after a couple of hours. That should get rid of most of the smell. Do not leave the guitar in the case for this procedure.

I over exposed the photos a bit. It looks even better in person!

We will let you slide this time. Just kidding, niiiiice 535!

Try burning some incense, and blowing the smoke into the f-holes and case. Problem solved!

It's Martha Stewart approved, don't ya know!

Congrats on your new guitar. I find the case to hold the smell of smoke more than the guitar itself. Sprinkle a little carpet fresh with baking soda in your case and vacuum it out after a couple of hours. That should get rid of most of the smell. Do not leave the guitar in the case for this procedure.

Another method is to put a few charcoal briquets in the case and close it...the charcoal will absorb the odor.

As for the guitar, I would lieave it out on a stand for a few days to "air out".

JMHO

Jim C

Great looking 535. Good pics.

Dont know if this helps regarding the smell.

I bought a new guitar(new for me) home a couple of nights ago. It reeks. It smells strongly of acrid ciggy smoke.

I know the guy who I got it off.

He doesnt smoke!!!

His guitar room and house is smoke free.!!

He hasnt gigged this guitar in smokey stinking bars and club's. They(pubs and clubs) have all been smoke free since well before he owned this guitar.

He has well over thirty guitars. All beautiful instruments. They all have a similar smell??

He rotates his guitars for play time and wipes them down and puts them in the case when he is not using them.

In the 2yrs this guy owned the guitar I now have it is possible it only spent 6 weeks max out of the case!

I do smoke. My guitar room which is away from the rest of the house is the only room I smoke in. My main guitars are always on a stand ready to play exposed to the full foul stench of burning cigs. My guitars dont stink like his!!! and neither do my cases. Not even ones Ive owned for 20yrs

So what is this acrid cigarette smell.

Its not cig smoke at all from what I can deduce from the above.

Ive encountered it alot on guitars Ive worked on. Some stink, some dont.

I think what it is maybe, is sweat fermenting in the closed case and mixing or reacting to the glues and materials in the case.

You cant really wipe of all the sweat of without removing and replacing the strings and if a guitar spends long periods of time in a case its just gotta reek.

I worked on one bass that without any bs made my eyes water. It had been sitting in the case for over 10 yrs never played.

It belonged to a guy who had never smoked in his life. It smelt like crap.

No product I could find would remove the stench. It stunk out the store.

Take from this what you will. Its not based on science just my own observations.

It's a beauty!!! ENJOY!! Time to break out the BB King licks..

One inexpensive method of odor control you may want to try is to put fabric softener sheets in the case with the guitar in it. The sheets I'm talking about are the kind you throw in the dryer as an anti-static & softing agent for laundry. I saw some woman on TV explaining all sorts of home remedies and one of them was to put one of those sheets into each of a pair of stinky sneakers and overnight the smell was gone. I tried it it worked great, and I have been using it for shoes ever since. I've never tried it with guitars/cases cause I haven't had that problem, but IMO it's inexpensive enough to make it worth trying.

I've got an old Peavey amp that reeks like it was in a wet barn for years.

I removed the electronics & speakers, and scrubbed the Tolex down with Lysol--the smell remained.

I removed the Tolex, sanded the wood, and varnished it--the smell still remained.

I cleaned the electronics, and installed new speakers--the smell is STILL there. I give up! :)

I've got an old Peavey amp that reeks like it was in a wet barn for years.

I removed the electronics & speakers, and scrubbed the Tolex down with Lysol--the smell remained.

I removed the Tolex, sanded the wood, and varnished it--the smell still remained.

I cleaned the electronics, and installed new speakers--the smell is STILL there. I give up! B)

Sounds like you bought a smell with some amp parts attached. Even if you replace every part

the smell will still be there. Fascinating.

Archived