Heritage Owners Club

Incoming..Markley combo

FredZepp

I love these Dean Markley all tube combo's from the early 80's. They run smokin hot and some had transformer problems,so it's good to have a tech go through them. Very versatile and amazing cascading gain. With drive/gain/master control , you can dial in awesome tone. They made some with different solid state sections , but this is all tube heaven. It's shipping on Monday.... ( yeah Mark , you told me I needed more tubes.... ok,ok) CD-212 made in Santa Clara California

post-1051-1249869555_thumb.jpg

post-1051-1249869583_thumb.jpg

Man, what an awsome looking amp! If it tends to run hot, have you considered installing a fan inside? Radio Shack sells a small, heavy duty metal electric fan that runs almost silently for electronics.

Also, this thread is useless without a full TONE REPORT...................please. :lol:

The fan is probably a good idea... I have a smaller version of this that just screams. I never use any effects/overdrives, because the tone is right on. When you turn up the drive , the guitar (H-150 of course) just seems to want to sing and just howls with harmonics, insane. I am hoping this will do the same , only better (louder).

I'm still waiting on tracking number.... tone report, in the near future

Smokin' Tone... but I have to learn how to tweak the knobs on this one. I'm not sure if I like the Eminence speakers yet, I did manage some nice tone , but want a little more bottom end . Maybe they need broken in. I will test on a Celestion 4 12 cab later....

Ya know... I'm used to a gain and a master volume to set tone and volume. Or on the smaller Markley amp ..Drive and Gain and Master.

On this one , you have to also turn up the "Clean Vol" , who would have guessed. I am starting to get a handle on the sounds . It also has a half wattage switch which helps.

The sounds keep improving as I learn how to finesse this one. Sustain that won't quit and a nice bark when called for. I sustained a chord for a moment and it developed into a nice growl..... It can sound angry at times, if the gain is up.

It was described as having a Fender-like clean sound , but more musical. And I may agree , the harmonics are rather nice.

Ya know... I'm used to a gain and a master volume to set tone and volume. Or on the smaller Markley amp ..Drive and Gain and Master.

On this one , you have to also turn up the "Clean Vol" , who would have guessed. I am starting to get a handle on the sounds . It also has a half wattage switch which helps.

The sounds keep improving as I learn how to finesse this one. Sustain that won't quit and a nice bark when called for. I sustained a chord for a moment and it developed into a nice growl..... It can sound angry at times, if the gain is up.

It was described as having a Fender-like clean sound , but more musical. And I may agree , the harmonics are rather nice.

Based on your moniker and the licks you laid down at the Henderson's, I would think you'd be pulling in a Park amp. A great deal of fun can be had by finding another amp that covers what you desire AND lets you go into other sonic territory. Congratulations on your find! Enjoy - or is that redundant 'cause you're playing a Heritage?

covers what you desire AND lets you go into other sonic territory

True , this is part of the goal. My smaller version of this does that well. ButI wanted to insure that I have enough wattage to keep up with whatever situation.. At first ,I wasn't sure that this one was going to do that as well.... but I had ignored the "clean vol" knob on this one ,misunderstanding it's purpose. Turns out it'll probably stay cranked and I will adjust tone and volume with the other 3 gain/volume knobs. And I have to spend some time with the tone shaping options to learn what they will do . ( bass, mid, treble, presence, bright ,mid boost,voicing ) I wasn't sure that I liked the speakers..... but the second jam had some great tones and it may just involve more knob twisting.

I plugged this combo into a 4-12 celestion cab and ...OMG. unbelievable bite and bark. It doesn't do the modern super high gain sounds, but will do nice high gain rock sounds with lots of harmonics and sustain that will not end. My ears are still ringing and I had it on half wattage and up to 3 or 4. The amp portion passes with flying colors. But ... the speakers in the combo... at least two things I must address. Although the ohms are as they should be, I believe one speaker is making a noise when driven hard . And there is not enough low end: I am largely blaming this on the fact that the back is completely open. So I plan to at least partially seal the back. And I am considering removing the speaker from an old fender cab that I have. to put in it. It is an old EV SRO with the massive white magnet . ( 16 lb. magnet ) For now I will use the 4 12 cab with it while I look at speaker options. I'd like to use a speaker that I already have lying around the house to replace the one if I can . I have several to pick from....

I would like to post some sound bites sometime . I have been lazy about any recording for a while. I just keep buying new toys to entertain myself. But the Overdrive available in this amp is awesome, no pedals used , ever. And it will do it at low volumes, which would be a good idea.... I know that I SHAKE the neighbors house sometimes.

And my ears are rrriiiinnngggiiinng... but the power! ahhh the power....

I would like to post some sound bites sometime . I have been lazy about any recording for a while. I just keep buying new toys to entertain myself. But the Overdrive available in this amp is awesome, no pedals used , ever. And it will do it at low volumes, which would be a good idea.... I know that I SHAKE the neighbors house sometimes.

And my ears are rrriiiinnngggiiinng... but the power! ahhh the power....

yea, my neighbors don't care for the marshall at all.

I wish I had a 4 x 12 cab!!!!

sometimes , it's just nice to feel the chords , slam into your chest.... shake you to your bones. I have quit doing that at 2 or 3 AM , at my neighbors request....

I like the warm feeling from the amp after 45 min. or so.. well and the air moving, makes you feel like a rock star..

I was just reading that the "coffee can" EV SRO speaker that I will try in this combo has an alnico V magnet . and.... " a single 12' SRO will handle with ease a guitar amplifier of up to 300 watts peak output".

Disadvantage: this amp is already heavy (83 lbs ship weight) and the SRO is a very heavy speaker to add,....ummm, weight wise that is.

• 2 weeks later...

Incredible power in this amp. I found out what my speaker problem was.... the second 12 was wired backwards. I am still getting too much microphonics out of this , not like my smaller one.. I'll have to investigate closer soon, right now I have other new toys to play with....

"Earplugs Fred!!! Protect those ears "

Oh I know.... this thing is crazy loud even with half power switch on... My ears rang for hours when I first got it. Way overkill for the small room that it is in. But it does do a nice sound at low volumes, it's just a power trip to crank it up......

Fred,

It sure sounds like you're having fun getting to know the new beast. I'd think with the amp approaching 20yrs of age that the current speakers would be well worn in. And now that you've got the polarity corrected, should be really nice. It's pretty cool to find those "hidden gems", isn't it?

Archived