Heritage Owners Club

mr fed ex man says he is comming tomorrow

big bob

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm, seems that "accidental purchase" is turning out to be quite the gem, eh? That neck is killer! Love the stinger. Can you see any flame or movement at all under the paint/overcoat?

not sure what you mean, the maple neck has an odd not flame /not birds eye but some ware in between thing, as for the paint it has settled for twenty two years, the lacquer checking on the headstock is gone , the body will be a wait and see thing.

I'm hoping I will be able to get it under control, But it might be a reality? I'll know soon.

Wow! That is flat-out beautiful!

Your efforts show through in spades! Keep going!!!

I just Love this vicarious work...

well today I wet sanded the top, then hit the top and bottom with rubbing compound on the auto buffer, then polishing compound on the buffer, then instrument polish by hand. The good news is most of the scratches and scuffs are gone and the lacquer checking, while still there is now only visual (before you could actually feel it) The bad news is the lacquer checking is till there. The finish looks good, but def. not as new.

I was considering a total new finish, but I want to keep the original, I'm still debating putting 3 or 4 coats of clear nitro over the finish.

what do you guys think would that (ruin) the original part of the original finish?

I also got the schallers cleaned up,

here are some picts I thought I would start with the buffing station

post-463-1252879811_thumb.jpg

post-463-1252879892_thumb.jpg

post-463-1252879966_thumb.jpg

It' rained most of yesterday, good thin the buffing station if covered..

so what do you think to shoot clear or not..

-1 on shooting clear. You've got a genuine relic and I'd let her stand on her own. (But you knew that...) Of course for the $400 you've got into her you can go just about anywhere and find a way back (if you wish) without feeling foolish. Good luck!

It's hard to tell from pics, without the guitar in hand.. but that looks great in the pics. It would be nice to get it back to "new" condition, but there's nothing wrong with a few scars.... and an original finish. You were the right person to end up with this one, I would have cleaned it up ..but, nothing like this. a labor of love. A before and after pic , when finished, will be awesome. GREAT JOB>> BOB !!!! I'd tend to not do the clear , or do it very , very light .

I decided not to shoot the clear coat, I can always do it later if I change my mind. I put her all back to original including black speed knobs. got her all set up action is low, could go lower but low enough for me. The pups do growl, and sustain for days. I had forgotten how f-ing had it is to have a black guitar, basically you touch it and Boom fingerprint, smear, I'll get over it.

here are some after shots

post-463-1253037067_thumb.jpg

post-463-1253037126_thumb.jpg

post-463-1253037194_thumb.jpg

Not quite the same guitar you bought, is it? Marvelous work.

it's funny the one I bought I had no qualms about playing, hard. This one I'm afraid to pick up!

I bet I'll get over it. now I just need to learn some smoking hot metal licks..

Thanks for the kind words

Archived