Heritage Owners Club

I love Amps.

Mikenov

Don't know what anyone else thinks about this but I think the #1 biggest influence of tone comes from the amp. I have had awesome guitars sound like shyte through a bad amp and I have had 100 dollar cheapies sound good through the right amp.

I got some serious amp love going on right now with my current line up and I guess I just wanted to shout it from a mountain top!

Ive nearly always had more amps than guitars.

Im back down to one amp and 12 guitars(only three count)

I gas over amps more than guitars. Speaker boxes get me as well. Ive got 112, two 212 and a 412. Im looking for a 210 and another 212.

Its not being unhappy with what I have that drives amp gas its what a different preamp can do to the guitar sound and then what a different cab and speaker can do to the amp sound that yanks my chain.

You certainly can't argue against amps having a major impact on tone, that is for sure. Case in point, I love my single coils thru the Vox AC30CC1. Uh, not so much the Heritages. Altho' I can dial in a tone that is acceptable and useable, it really isn't, IMO, the best of my amps for the humbuckers. That would be the Tweed Super or the Mesa LH. And interestingly, to me anyway, I think the LS is not the best amp for the single coils.

I'd like to get my hands on that new Matchless Avalon. I've been a fan of Matchless, but could never afford one. Now, tho', this one really has me intriqued.

One more thing that comes to mind with amps v guitars, tho'. Wouldn't you think to truly understand what an amp is doing to your guitar sounds, you need to understand that guitar and what it is capable of doing. And would that not invoke the inverse for the guitar? You need to know what the amp is capable of in order to get an idea of it's interaction with the guitar? (did i say the right?)

I gas over amps more than guitars.

Its not being unhappy with what I have that drives amp gas its what a different preamp can do to the guitar sound and then what a different cab and speaker can do to the amp sound that yanks my chain.

Ditto :o

It's good to know it's not a geographical phenomenon; thanks Mate!

Ive often wondered about amps or any gear for that matter that get consistently bad reviews and then one guy says the same item absolutely rocks when used with item "y". Did he just find the right combination?( I know its all subjective. Goes without saying)

My PRS never sounded great to me through any of my fenders but sounded good through my mesa's and alright through marshalls. When I swapped out p/ups it seemed to work better through the fender's.

A recent bout of amp and guitar GAS came about playing through a mesa Electra Dyne. The guitar I was using was a Tom Anderson Tele.

I wasnt sure what I was reacting to the most. I played the TA through a mesa LS and wasnt as impressed with the guitar. I played all sorts of guitars through the mesa ED. H150, PRS cu22, 24 mccarty AP some esp's fenders and gibbos and didnt get the same yeeha reaction that I did with the Tom Anderson. That amp and that guitar worked perfectly together.It was an undeniable combination.

The ED still sounded good with the other guitars and the Tom Anderson sounded good through other amps but together they were sublime.

Im still a bit haunted by it.

I recently posted about being unhappy with my strat. Ive since played it through a fender amp I sold on and found some love for my strat again. That amp definitely brings something out of my strat that my mesa LS doesnt. But my H150 and the LS are a fantastic combination.

Some one jokingly posted that for every one guitar you should have at least 3 amps. Im starting to think they werent joking and am regretting selling off 4 of mine.

Having said that I did only have one guitar and one amp for a long time and coped just fine.

For years, the only amp I had was my Guild Thunderbird. When I bought my Line6 PodXT, it was like getting a pack of Lifesavers. They may not be the real thing, but you can get a "taste" of the difference between a Fender Bassman, Marshall, Triple Rectifier, whatever. Having done that, I could start to listen to the real thing.

I also found out that just like Lifesavers, if you don't like the green ones, you probably won't like real limes. I felt the same way about the Mesa Recitfiers.

I have always focused on the guitars....amps were amps, as far as i knew. Now that i have a "real" amp, it has all become so clear!

Having a good amp makes a world of difference. I dont think I have ever owned more than three amps at any one time. Most of my life it's only been two. And unless I fall into a lot of money I think it's going to stay that way!

I have always focused on the guitars....amps were amps, as far as i knew. Now that i have a "real" amp, it has all become so clear!

Same here.

Ive been playing $2000 guitars through $300 dollar amps. It was only a few months back I spotted the Mesa express 5:50 in the local cash converters. The 2 by 12 inch version still with the plastic on for half $RRP.

As Brent said, it is all becoming so much clearer......makes me love my guitars and appreciate their different characters even more.

G Flying V 90

G LP Studio 96

G LP DC 04

F 50th Anv AS Strat

F 61 reissue Tele Custom 03?

F HM Strat 88

Ricky 620 02

Maton MS526 dlx 99

Maton EM325c 01

Westone Spectrum ST 86

H 137 08

H 170cm 04

Hi. My name's Mike and I'm an ampoholic. I don't think have four, five or six amps is a bit much, some would. You can daisy chain three or four at a time and play through them all. You can only play one guitar at a time.

I think Alicia has the same affliction!

aliciaswall-o-sound.jpg

YOU GOT IT!!!

next time she complains about guitars...i'll bring up her shoes and stuff!!!

Ive got more pairs of shoes than my wife!!!

She has two hand bags.

Her make up and perfume selection is minimal and our clothes take up equal space in the wardrobe.

She has no extravagant tastes in anything. Never has.

While I applaud her lack of desire for anything in the material world and her absolute comfort in herself and simpler things, it leaves me absolutely no leverage when I go for the big items. But not even that seems to be an issue. Leverage not needed. When I bridge the subject of my next guitar/ amp/ gear purchase, her response is, "well youve earned it" or "if you feel you need it" or something similar.

Well.... I know I havnt "earn t" it or "need" it.

Shes doing my head in. (Has been for 27yrs) :D

Oh.... ........... shes a crafty one!

Ive got more pairs of shoes than my wife!!!

She has two hand bags.

Her make up and perfume selection is minimal and our clothes take up equal space in the wardrobe.

She has no extravagant tastes in anything. Never has.

While I applaud her lack of desire for anything in the material world and her absolute comfort in herself and simpler things, it leaves me absolutely no leverage when I go for the big items. But not even that seems to be an issue. Leverage not needed. When I bridge the subject of my next guitar/ amp/ gear purchase, her response is, "well youve earned it" or "if you feel you need it" or something similar.

Well.... I know I havnt "earn t" it or "need" it.

Shes doing my head in. (Has been for 27yrs) :D

Oh.... ........... shes a crafty one!

Wow! Jeff...we're married to the same woman! But, apparently, you got to her a year before I did! My wife is at the house pretty often.... Does yours seem to be gone a lot? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I think Alicia has the same affliction!

good thing for me they don't make left-handed amps (hey, that bandmaster looks like my first new amp)...i'm blessed with friends with share my affection for good amps - so i don't have to buy theirs to try out, just borrow.

anyway, have about a dozen guitars, half a dozen amps.

:D

This may sound weak, but I love the tone of my marshall dsl 401 combo, super clear clean, nasty crunch, I never use pedals except the cry baby!

not at all. when i saw/heard Jeff Beck a couple years ago he was (i'm told) pretty awesome w/few or no effects. Strat -> DSL50. there may have been reverb or delay through an fx loop. crystal clear cleans, crunch & sing on demand. guy's a wiz & a gift to the ears

B)

This may sound weak, but I love the tone of my marshall dsl 401 combo, super clear clean, nasty crunch, I never use pedals except the cry baby!

not at all. when i saw/heard Jeff Beck a couple years ago he was pretty awesome w/(i'm told) few or no effects. Strat -> DSL50. there may have been reverb or delay through an fx loop. crystal clear cleans, crunch & sing on demand. guy's a wiz & a gift to the ears

B)

Archived