Heritage Owners Club

Tubes vs. solid state

I just sold my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia... to buy tires for my truck and tires for the Mrs' truck - a little sad.

Killer amp, to me works best with fender/single coil gits - though I mainly used it w/ my H150. I'd like to get it back some day, but it's like a good second or 3rd amp.

A little too much volume for home, short on headroom for bar gigs. But such a nice touch responsive amp.

I play only tube amps; but want my crate GX reverb practice amp back from my dad - that thing sounded great clean.

Lotsa folks like blues Juniors. A friend was selling 2 of them for cheap & I borrowed each for for a while and never got on with them - at any volume. Another friend got one with the "Bill M" mods already done - it sounded and responded like I couldn't believe - awsome!

Lotsa folks like blues Juniors. A friend was selling 2 of them for cheap & I borrowed each for for a while and never got on with them - at any volume. Another friend got one with the "Bill M" mods already done - it sounded and responded like I couldn't believe - awsome!

liked my BJr., it came w/a Greenback in it. gave it to my son. if i still had it, i'd think seriously about doing something w/s2amps

SS amps...great for low vol overdrive for practice. Once you try to gig with them, you'll see how hard they suck...

OK for a backup. I have an 80's 100watt Yamaha 1x12 that is as good as it gets for SS.

• 2 weeks later...

I am schizophrenic when it comes to musical interests. :huh: So... I would change amps ALL THE TIME trying to keep up with my interests. It got WAY too expensive. So... earlier this year, I went on a quest to find the amp that could do it all and make me happy.

I always gravitate back to metal or hard rockish tones.

I get into jazz and rockabilly too.

I found it in a 50w tube 212.

Vox AC50CP2. I love the look of shock when I bring the hippie looking amp in and it tears their head off. :)

• 2 years later...

I recently bought a Fender Prosonic which is both SS and tube and it rocks.

Yes, that's really true. I love mine too. I use it mostly in the A or A/B mode. It's great for Jazz, Funk, whatever Pop and yes, this thing rocks :).

SS amps...great for low vol overdrive for practice. Once you try to gig with them, you'll see how hard they suck...

OK for a backup. I have an 80's 100watt Yamaha 1x12 that is as good as it gets for SS.

Check out Retro Channel Amps and you'll think different. I was a tube hooligan, too. But the Retro Channel Amps are phantastic and it's pure Solid State.

There are some really good SS amps out now. I have an old Peavey Bandit and it is really close to a tube vibe, and it is terrific at low volumes as has been said. That said, that lovely tube tone trumps SS still. If you are only going to have one amp, make it a tube amp. I like the Classic 30, but a Mesa LoneStar is top shelf. Play a lot of them and get the one that sounds like the tone in your head.

You need to buy my Mesa Lone Star Special and my Avatar 2X12 cabinet. Or, my Marshall DSL50 with the Mesa 4X12 cabinet. Those will get you the sounds you're looking for! B)

Check out the For Sale part of the forum if you'd like. Just a thought...

I have a Mesa Single Rectifier (tube) and a Marshall Mosfet Twin Reverb (SS).

They both rock, but the former is definitely warmer.

I believe however the the Marshall is really great for Metal (which I don't play). Maybe the Mesa is more versatile

I am schizophrenic when it comes to musical interests. smile.gif So... I would change amps ALL THE TIME trying to keep up with my interests. It got WAY too expensive. So... earlier this year, I went on a quest to find the amp that could do it all and make me happy.

I always gravitate back to metal or hard rockish tones.

I get into jazz and rockabilly too.

I found it in a 50w tube 212.

Vox AC50CP2. I love the look of shock when I bring the hippie looking amp in and it tears their head off. blink.gif

That was a great amp. Too bad it was a piece of garbage. :(

Got an equally great amp now... and it is BULLETPROOF. :)

Vox AC30, Vox AC15, Marshall 18 and 20 watt, Matchless, Bad Cat, Reinhardt, Dr. Z, Gabriel, Bruno, Divided by 13, Valve Tech, Alesandro, Train Wreck, Goodsell, Guytron, GDS, Heritage, Jaguar, Mesa, Reeves, Star, SMF, Suhr, Top Hat, JMI, etc., etc., etc., are just some of the amps/builders with el84s. One of the classic tubs of rock 'n roll if you ask me. Hardly cheap as far as build quality goes - some of the best amps on the planet imho.

And my modded Blues Jr w EL84's rocks and is great at low volume. I like having a EL84 amp along with my 6v6 and 6l6's.

Lots of options in amps is nice but it is mind boggling how many choices there are out there, natural for one to think the grass is always greener. Was easier back in the day when there where far fewer choices. One more thing to obsess about.

if you are looking for versatility in a tube amp swing by a guitar center type place and check out the Tweeker-40 and Tweeker-88. You can get a lot of different tones with a few flicks of the switches. Some of the most versatile amps i've ever played.

if you are looking for versatility in a tube amp swing by a guitar center type place and check out the Tweeker-40 and Tweeker-88. You can get a lot of different tones with a few flicks of the switches. Some of the most versatile amps i've ever played.

Tried those. They did a lot.. but I didn't like anything it did. Not saying it sounded bad... just wasn't my bag soundwise.

"If you want toob goodness on a budget, I've heard from reliable sources that the Peavey Classic 30 is a very good platform and reasonably priced (making it a great value). It is 1x12, though. Very simple and straightforward design. The Classic 50 is the louder 2x12 version." +1! Have had both, and currently gig with the 30..Put a 57 in front of it and it sounds great!!.

\"If you want toob goodness on a budget' date=' I\'ve heard from reliable sources that the Peavey Classic 30 is a very good platform and reasonably priced (making it a great value). It is 1x12, though. Very simple and straightforward design. The Classic 50 is the louder 2x12 version.\" +1! Have had both, and currently gig with the 30..Put a 57 in front of it and it sounds great!!.[/quote']

Very solid amps. Dig \'em.

Guest HRB853370

I play though a Delta Blues and a C 50 and both are tone monsters and match up against anything. Made in USA too, Meridian MS if that matters to you in an age of Chinese imported crap. My DB is a 2x10 30W and my C50 is a 2x12 50W. Both have reverb and tremolo.

I play though a Delta Blues and a C 50 and both are tone monsters and match up against anything. Made in USA too, Meridian MS if that matters to you in an age of Chinese imported crap. My DB is a 2x10 30W and my C50 is a 2x12 50W. Both have reverb and tremolo.

I'd definitely take one.

For me tube always wins either you play rock or jazz.Tube makes the instrument come to life while solid amps are still sound stiff to my ears.

Different strokes. I feel most tube amps mire tone in mud but there are those that sound VERY good.

Another vote for tube amps. I just picked up a Roland Microcube which is great for practicing at low volumes in the house with the family present, lots of versatility. I have noticed that it does lack personality though compared to a tube amp. When I really want to rock out, I get out my Orange Tiny Terror Combo which gives me the perfect fix until the next time I have the need.

You do need to try different amps though to see what works best for you. I had a Blues Jr before the TT and just could never get the sound I was searching for. The TT gives me a great rock sound that for me is very satisfying. Now after reading about the Peaveys here, I wouldn't mind plugging into one of those too ;)

Archived