Heritage Owners Club

Tubes vs. solid state

Ok, my new friends ..

Just curious of some of your views on tube amps verses solid state amps. I play mostly Rock, hard rock to metal. Currently have an old Peavy Heritage Solid state- tube hybrid. Also have a Behringer combo 120Watt ( I prefer pedals over tweaking on the combo amp )

I am interested in something simple, 2 - 3channel , no Amp modeling, or all the "stuff" .. Would like to stick with a 2 -12" speaker amp.

Doesn't have to be a boutique amp.

So, tubes or SS ?

Thanks in advance .....

I've never heard a Tube amp that lacked soul like a SS. :eek:

SS is nice because you can find a multitude of modeling amps that have many personalities; some can get you close. There ain't nothing like the real thing!

Hi,

I play both...

For blues or rock, I cannot even imagine playing through a solid state amp. I rely on the euphonics, sag, bloom, feel, dynamics of a tube amp to go back and forth between clean and and an expressive overdriven tone. For Jazz, I want clarity with some warmth with fast responsive attack of my solid state amp. For me, I can't really help recommend a solid state amp that works with pedals for rock or metal. Perhaps others can. If you were interested in jazz I could help you with a SS amp.

Good Luck,

Bob

If you want toob goodness on a budget, I've heard from reliable sources that the Peavey Classic 30 is a very good platform and reasonably priced (making it a great value). It is 1x12, though. Very simple and straightforward design. The Classic 50 is the louder 2x12 version. I have no hands-on experience with either.

iim7v7im7...what are your thoughts on the Roland JC120. I've wanted one, off and on, for years. I've never managed to work up the nerve to buy one, though, because it is, after all <gasp>, solid-state. Still, when I take lessons, I play through my instructors...the H170 ToneSucker on the neck with the tone rolled down just a tad and volume on about 7.5 sounds fan-freaking-tastic through that thing. We were working up 'Blue Bossa' last week and that guitar/amp was sounding mighty fine. I was just looking at them again last night, wondering...

Should I? Shouldn't I? Hrmm...John's goldtop 157 might be a more fun investment. LOL.

Sorry for the hijack...back to the thread.

The one thing that bothers me about SS amps is that there is no natural compression, or sag. The notes can get blatty, sometimes just seeming to loose a bit of those natural overtones. One other big thing that bothers me is, in my experience ss amps tend to get lost in the mix more readily than tube amps. Every one I've ever used just tended to fade away into the background when things start moving. Again, my experience.

Will have to second the thought on the Classic 30 being a nice intro to tube amps. Altho' I had the Delta Blues, it is basically the same amp. One thing about tube amps, you don't need near the wattage rating as you do with ss amp. I play my Tweed Super, 28w at 2+ on the dial. At 4 it's so friggin' loud that ...... well it sounds not only real good, but it sounds REAL!! good.

the Peavey Classic 50 2X12 I had a few years back was a tone MONSTER!! Heavy as heck but my old Tele just loved that thing..Miles of singing sustain!!MY 2 cents..

Another vote for the Classic 30 and 50. I've got the 30 and unless you need a ton of volume, it does very well. Loves single coils, and gets really ballsy with my H157.

If you're only going with humbuckers, the DSL401 Marshall is nice. You can find them in the $4-500 range. I'm finding that I like the Classic better with my Asat most days, and the Marshall with my 535 and 157. Plus, I can set the amp for the guitar not have to tweek so much when I switch.

Sorry I have to swim against the tide here when it comes to both the Peavey Cassic 30 & 50 amps, I've had them both and I just don't care for either. I don't care for EL-84 tubes and I also found them to to be very cheap as far as build quality goes. Two amps I like better in the same price range are the Traynor YCV-50 Blue and the Carvin X100B Series IV. Both of these amps have much better build quality and more importantly MUCH better tone then either of the Peaveys. The Carvin IMO is one of the most overlooked amps made in it's price range.

Traynor YCV-50 Blue

Carvin X100B

I am also not a fan of the Peavey "Classic" series amps or any amp, it seems, with EL84's. I've had the Delta Blues 1X15 and while it sounded ok it lacked the overtones and fullness I like to hear from a good tube amp. I also owned a Goodsell Super 17 and while it did have the overtones and fullness, I felt it couldn't keep up if the band turned up a notch. I'll stick with my 6V6, 6L6 and occasional 7591 amps. As for tube vs. solid state...............no contest.

Dick,

First off for what type of music are you talking about?

I am not big on JC120s because they are ~$1,000, 70 lb., large and difficult to lug around and are only 120 solid state watts. They are the solid state equivalent on a Fender Twin but can't hold a candle to them in terms of sound. Some smaller solid state rigs, <$1,000 that I like as integrated units are made by Henriksen (http://www.jazzamp.com/index.asp). They have 160 solid state watts and are about 30 lb. I personally would not use them for blues or rock, but blues based swing music or straight-ahead jazz thay are fine. I'm getting old and 60-70 lb is unthinkable for me at this point:-)

Bob

If you want toob goodness on a budget, I've heard from reliable sources that the Peavey Classic 30 is a very good platform and reasonably priced (making it a great value). It is 1x12, though. Very simple and straightforward design. The Classic 50 is the louder 2x12 version. I have no hands-on experience with either.

iim7v7im7...what are your thoughts on the Roland JC120. I've wanted one, off and on, for years. I've never managed to work up the nerve to buy one, though, because it is, after all <gasp>, solid-state. Still, when I take lessons, I play through my instructors...the H170 ToneSucker on the neck with the tone rolled down just a tad and volume on about 7.5 sounds fan-freaking-tastic through that thing. We were working up 'Blue Bossa' last week and that guitar/amp was sounding mighty fine. I was just looking at them again last night, wondering...

Should I? Shouldn't I? Hrmm...John's goldtop 157 might be a more fun investment. LOL.

Sorry for the hijack...back to the thread.

Dick,

First off for what type of music are you talking about?

I am not big on JC120s because they are ~$1,000, 70 lb., large and difficult to lug around and are only 120 solid state watts. They are the solid state equivalent on a Fender Twin but can't hold a candle to them in terms of sound. Some smaller solid state rigs, <$1,000 that I like as integrated units are made by Henriksen (http://www.jazzamp.com/index.asp). They have 160 solid state watts and are about 30 lb. I personally would not use them for blues or rock, but blues based swing music or straight-ahead jazz thay are fine. I'm getting old and 60-70 lb is unthinkable for me at this point:-)

Bob

Jazz, man. Cool, bebop, latin, that sort of thing, maybe some funky jazz bluesy stuff once in a while. I'm not in love with the JC120, but I've always thought it would be interesting to see what it was all about. The tone I was getting the other night was pretty cool, too. I've seen the Henriksen stuff, but not in person. I think I may have listed them on a thread here a year or so ago. Polytone is another make I'd like to try out, but have never had a chance to get my hands on. I'm not looking to do Ted Nugent or cookie-monster-death-metal or anything. Just jamming on some standards.

Dick,

Check out the Henriksens if you are interested in a Polytone. I own a Polytone. Great little amp, but unrealable and flakey customer service. Henriksen was founded to make aPolytone "right". I think you'd like them for the type of sound that you are after. Plus think of all the money you'll save without needing any roadeys!

:-)

Bob

Jazz, man. Cool, bebop, latin, that sort of thing, maybe some funky jazz bluesy stuff once in a while. I'm not in love with the JC120, but I've always thought it would be interesting to see what it was all about. The tone I was getting the other night was pretty cool, too. I've seen the Henriksen stuff, but not in person. I think I may have listed them on a thread here a year or so ago. Polytone is another make I'd like to try out, but have never had a chance to get my hands on. I'm not looking to do Ted Nugent or cookie-monster-death-metal or anything. Just jamming on some standards.

I saw the light when i got my Rivera R-55...i was playing a Peavey SS head befire that and the overall sound quality is very noticable to me.

i still nedd to get a 4X12 for that thing

The only SS amps I've liked were the Tech 21 products. I think the late great Les Paul even preferred their amps.

Also, some jazzers and amplified acoustic players prefer the uber clean tones of high end SS amps.

For most other music styles, it's got to have tubes/valves for this player. :D

Valves ...7591 for Jazz, 6v6, 6l6, el34 & el84 for blues & rock. SS sound like a recording of a guitar to me. The design of the amp, speakers and the type of tubes interact with the pups, wood and fingers to create your tone so IMHO you need to play your music on your guitar though each prospective amp till you hear what you like. Having lots of amps and instruments will spoil you so it should depend on how you will use it.

• 2 weeks later...
Valves ...7591 for Jazz, 6v6, 6l6, el34 & el84 for blues & rock. SS sound like a recording of a guitar to me. The design of the amp, speakers and the type of tubes interact with the pups, wood and fingers to create your tone so IMHO you need to play your music on your guitar though each prospective amp till you hear what you like. Having lots of amps and instruments will spoil you so it should depend on how you will use it.

+1

I don't care for EL-84 tubes and I also found them to to be very cheap as far as build quality goes.

Vox AC30, Vox AC15, Marshall 18 and 20 watt, Matchless, Bad Cat, Reinhardt, Dr. Z, Gabriel, Bruno, Divided by 13, Valve Tech, Alesandro, Train Wreck, Goodsell, Guytron, GDS, Heritage, Jaguar, Mesa, Reeves, Star, SMF, Suhr, Top Hat, JMI, etc., etc., etc., are just some of the amps/builders with el84s. One of the classic tubs of rock 'n roll if you ask me. Hardly cheap as far as build quality goes - some of the best amps on the planet imho.

Another vote for the Classic 30 and 50. I've got the 30 and unless you need a ton of volume, it does very well. Loves single coils, and gets really ballsy with my H157.

If you're only going with humbuckers, the DSL401 Marshall is nice. You can find them in the $4-500 range. I'm finding that I like the Classic better with my Asat most days, and the Marshall with my 535 and 157. Plus, I can set the amp for the guitar not have to tweek so much when I switch.

I love the sound of my Millie H155, which is chambered, with HRWs, through my DSL401.

It really barks.

Vox AC30, Vox AC15, Marshall 18 and 20 watt, Matchless, Bad Cat, Reinhardt, Dr. Z, Gabriel, Bruno, Divided by 13, Valve Tech, Alesandro, Train Wreck, Goodsell, Guytron, GDS, Heritage, Jaguar, Mesa, Reeves, Star, SMF, Suhr, Top Hat, JMI, etc., etc., etc., are just some of the amps/builders with el84s. One of the classic tubs of rock 'n roll if you ask me. Hardly cheap as far as build quality goes - some of the best amps on the planet imho.

EL84s can be found in some high-end audio power amps, too...

(love my Heritage Briton II & several models of Dr. Z's)

:D

Doesn't have to be a boutique amp.

So, tubes or SS ?

Thanks in advance .....

tubes (almost) all the way for me. tho, for some places where i'm in a hurry & don't care so much, i use a Roland Cube 30. small, light, 12" speaker, can keep up with a loud drummer & bass player in a good-size rehearsal space...

otherwise, i usually bring a Juke 112 or 1210

:D

EL84s can be found in some high-end audio power amps, too...

(love my Heritage Briton II & several models of Dr. Z's)

:thumbsup:

Love my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, Reinhardt 18 and Vox AC15H1TV. FWIW I've owned both the Peavy Classic 30 and Classic 50 in the past and thought they were both excellent amps.

Love my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, Reinhardt 18 and Vox AC15H1TV. FWIW I've owned both the Peavy Classic 30 and Classic 50 in the past and thought they were both excellent amps.

i've tried the 30 & the 50 and was surprised at how much i liked 'em. reportedly popular with the show pros in Reno, i'm told...

Archived