Heritage Owners Club

Quality Cord Suggestions?

DCA

Unease about the economy has kept me from providing my 535 with a peace offering for nearly two years. The old nag dearly deserves a new bauble and I was thinking a good cord might make her happy. I’m thinking $75-100 for a 20 footer.

I’ve been playing the same "top of the line" 20 and 50 foot Guitar Center econo-cords for 20-ish years and haven’t given much thought to cords in as much time. I’d appreciate your input about quality makers and price points—I’m flat out ignorant about quality cords. Well, except for the fact that they aren't cheap.

I’d consider a 10 footer in the same price range if you guys think it makes a difference, but to my mind physics kinda undermines the concept of a $100 ten foot cord.

If I was going to buy a chord I would look for something in an A7thdim

BigBob - how would I have known you'd go for the demented chord!

DCA - I'll make you two 20' cables shipped out today for $100. Mogami cable and Neutrik ends. They don't get any better. PM if you're interested.

DCA - I'll make you two 20' cables shipped out today for $100. Mogami cable and Neutrik ends. They don't get any better. PM if you're interested.

"A7thdim" notwithstanding, I have a Steiner cable. Marvelous! Take him up on the offer DCA. Steiner is "Blues Approved" and a gent of the First Magnitude.

That's sorta what I was getting at. Is Mogami cable worth the price? And do plugs make a difference?

I certainly appreciate the offer, but you'll have to forgive me as I tend to mull things over for a very long time before pulling the trigger. In this case I don't see myself making the purchase before January. That doesn't mean I'm not interested, it just means that I don't like spending money until I have a firm handle on what I'm getting into.

That said, your offer seems very competitive. What would a 20' and 50' cable run?

That's sorta what I was getting at. Is Mogami cable worth the price? And do plugs make a difference?

I certainly appreciate the offer, but you'll have to forgive me as I tend to mull things over for a very long time before pulling the trigger. In this case I don't see myself making the purchase before January. That doesn't mean I'm not interested, it just means that I don't like spending money until I have a firm handle on what I'm getting into.

That said, your offer seems very competitive. What would a 20' and 50' cable run?

I'm glad you're not ready because I'm not either. I have the supplies but had not considered creating a price structure until this morning.

The short answer: 20' for $43, 50' for $73. Or, the two shipped together for $111.

You can get the same entities from FullCompass.com for about the same price (some assembly required). I use the Neutric np2x-bag tips and Mogami 2524 cable.

I got into these because I enjoy playing multiple amps simultaneously. Store brand cables caused the setup to hum unpredictably. Word on the street said the solution was to use Mogami cables. It worked.

My apologies if this represents bad forum etiquette. I'll start a proper thread in the sales category.

Does anybody have a better source for Mogami cables?

You might want to consider the cables that were selling on the Heritage Axe-essories page. They are good cables and WAY discounted. 10footers only though.

+1 on the Heritage cable. They use Zaolla cable, about as good as it gets and not cheap. The 10 footer from heritage is well over half off of what you would normally pay. If they're sold out then I highly recommend Lava Cable. http://www.lavacable.com/ If you don't buy from him, at least go to his website and check out his cable comarison. When you do, you'll buy from him!

I can recommend Vovox cables. I use the 'Protect A' and it sounds clearly more natural than the standard Fender cable I used before. Absolutely worth the money. The 'Sonorus' is a newer version, haven't tried it yet. Don't know about the price in the US, Vovox is a swiss company.

Vovox

Does anyone think there's an actual tone bump resulting from their cord?

I suppose that's the answer I'm really after. My Guitar Center cords are perfectly serviceable--but hacked to ribbons and replaced with Ratio Shack tips.

I deffinately heard something from the heritage cable. It was a bit brighter meaning I think more of the high end was able to come through. Not huge but I have always only owned the cheapest cabling available so there was bound to be a difference.

Yes.

Very much so between a high and low impedance cable, stiff vs compliant and something you can step on and abuse without the connections breaking after a few months. Like Slate said, buy cheep buy twice.

Does anyone think there's an actual tone bump resulting from their cord?

I suppose that's the answer I'm really after. My Guitar Center cords are perfectly serviceable--but hacked to ribbons and replaced with Ratio Shack tips.

The sound is going to be affected by the impedence to some degree although guitar pickups are fairly high impedence compared to a length of cable. More importantly will be the capacitance and inductance of the cable. That's where you get the high frequency cuts, and it gets worse with the longer cable.

I'm not necessarily sold on the "voodoo" that cable makers claim to use (does anyone really believe that there is a cosmic golden ratio for wraps of wire?) there is a sound engineering/scientific basis for cable sounding different.

The other parts to look at are the structural integrity of the cable, the shielding effectiveness and the flexibility.

Archived