Heritage Owners Club

low wattage amp

bigonion

Hello everyone

Been playing acoustic guitar for a couple of years and just got my first electric - Heritage 150CM Classic. A wonderful guitar! But now I need a small practice amp. Looking for low wattage so I dont anger neighbors or better-half (!) I mostly play blues, classic rock, and lots of practice. Nothing too expensive - its at home with family, dogs, etc...

Any suggestions? Thanks.

My 2 cents..I would look for something smallish, but something you can grow into..You will probably tire of a tiny practice amp quickly..(Especially with a 150) I would think about something like a Fender Blues Junior..They are cheap, ($400 new, $200-$300 used, sound nice at low volume, and can really crank when you want em to..Like I say My 2 cents..

I've always played acoustic - so electric is all new to me. I was thinking in the $100-$500 range. Heard that the Roland Micro-Cube might be a good and very inexpensive solution.

While I won't say the Roland is a bad amp, you have a lot of options if you are willing to spend that much. Smurph's suggestion of a Blues Jr. is a worthy recommendation. It would fall into the category of being a real amp that you can use at home and take out to a gig. Look for something with at least a 10" speaker. You would be suprised how far a 5 watt tube amp will get you.

I've always played acoustic - so electric is all new to me. I was thinking in the $100-$500 range. Heard that the Roland Micro-Cube might be a good and very inexpensive solution.

I have a Cube 30X with the built in tuner and fx. While it is a very good amp for the outlay, and very durable, I found that it sounds fine with solid body electrics but it just doesn't do justice to any of my semi or hollow guitars at all. I then bought a Blues Junior, as it happens the tweed version with Jensen speaker ( it was the only one available locally), and it is wonderful with those hollow guitars. It is also very usable at domestic volume levels and doesn't have that Fender hair trigger volume control where it's either inaudible or taking your head off. It also works great with pedals, while the Cube doesn't like those little boxes too much to my ear.

with ASAT Special ...

DSCF0632.jpg

DSCF0627.jpg

+1 for the Blues Jr. amp!

You might want to also check out the smaller Tech 21, Trademark 30 amp. It sounds great for home playing or recording and has built in analog Sansamp technology. Plus it has a headphone out for private jamming and really sweet sounding amp models. It also plays nice with extension speakers for playing out.

Tech 21 Trademark 30

Thanks everyone! I went to Matt Umanov Guitars on Bleeker Street (I live in NYC and had to be in the Village today) and walked out with the Tech 21 Trademark 30. Played the MicroCube, the Fender Jr. and the Tech...Tech won!

Great amp... I got a cheap Behringer knock-off of the Trademark 30 (GM110) and me likem. I must say it is extreem coolness that your first electric guitar

is a Heritage. Congrats...

Thanks everyone! I went to Matt Umanov Guitars on Bleeker Street (I live in NYC and had to be in the Village today) and walked out with the Tech 21 Trademark 30. Played the MicroCube, the Fender Jr. and the Tech...Tech won!

All Tech 21 (Trademark 10 & 30) users should check out this cool link to the amp settings developed by LP Forumite, 'Halouis':

Halouis' Trademark Amp Settings

Congrats! Hope the T-21 works out! New amp is always a ball of fun and frustration. I just scored a new Peavey JSX Mini Colossal that MF is closing out. Can't wait to krank it up to a quiet roar!

Congrats! Hope the T-21 works out! New amp is always a ball of fun and frustration. I just scored a new Peavey JSX Mini Colossal that MF is closing out. Can't wait to krank it up to a quiet roar!

Joe Satriani with the above amp:

Congrats on the new rig, 'onion! I gigged a Tech 21 Trademark 30 for a couple of years. Very serviceable box!

Joe Satriani with the above amp:

Thanks for the link! I'm not sure when it will be delivered, hopefully by Thanksgiving. Nothing like kickin back in a tryptophan haze and playin the blues!!!

Archived