Heritage Owners Club

I Am SO Weak!!

Gitfiddler

"...Houston, the Eagle has landed...".

OK, the H157 has landed.  But you get the point.  :)

I couldn't wait to tear open the box in our Shipping & Receiving area.  The guys were all smiles as I opened up and pulled out this MINTY, H157! 

This thing could be NOS!  Zero fret wear anywhere on the neck.  I put it on the postal scale for an official weighing.  9.5 lbs!!!!!!!!!!

For a solid body, three pickup, LP Custom style guitar, that is freakin' amazing!!

The neck profile is medium 'D'.  It is very similar to my H-555's neck in overall feel.  The fretboard radius is a bit more flat however.

The guitar resonates acoustically, so I could not wait to get it home to crank her up.

Plugged into a Silverface Deluxe Reverb yielded a gorgeous tone in most pickup positions.  I'm loving the HRW's!!  However, the wiring configuration is very odd and will definitely be my first mod.  I could not engage ONLY the neck and bridge p'ups for that funky, yet full tone of other two pickup gits.  The middle p'up is controlled by the knob closest to the high 'E' string.  I will rewire it so that I have individual volume control over each of the three pickups, and have a single 'master tone' control.  The true potential for this three pickup beauty remains untapped until it is rewired to my preferences.  I did this mod on my old Gibby R7 Black Beauty three p'up and it sound truly amazing.  If it were not for the 11+ lb weight, it would still be in my harem.  For now, however, this lightweight H157 is still a real winner, beating out the Gibby Custom Shop predecessor in overall build quality. 

Next I pulled off all of the knobs, tailpiece and bridge for a thorough cleaning and minor setup.  I used Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish to get the finish back to it's original lustrous beauty.  The color is a bit darker than the pictures.  Very rich looking!!  All of the hardware polished up to like new shine.  There is virtually no wear on the gold!  After oiling the ebony fretboard with a light application of mineral oil, I restrung it with DR Blues Pure Nickel 10-46. 

Overall, this is a fabulous guitar.  Serial number begins with 'T', so I think that makes it a 2002 or 2003 (?).

I promised a full report and hope this gives you all a flavor of another interesting and unique Heritage H157!

One more look...

FRONT:

heritageh1577xv5.jpg

REAR:

heritageh1579ea3.jpg

"...Houston, the Eagle has landed...".

OK, the H157 has landed.  But you get the point.  :)

I couldn't wait to tear open the box in our Shipping & Receiving area.  The guys were all smiles as I opened up and pulled out this MINTY, H157! 

This thing could be NOS!  Zero fret wear anywhere on the neck.  I put it on the postal scale for an official weighing.  9.5 lbs!!!!!!!!!!

For a solid body, three pickup, LP Custom style guitar, that is freakin' amazing!!

The neck profile is medium 'D'.  It is very similar to my H-555's neck in overall feel.  The fretboard radius is a bit more flat however.

The guitar resonates acoustically, so I could not wait to get it home to crank her up.

Plugged into a Silverface Deluxe Reverb yielded a gorgeous tone in most pickup positions.  I'm loving the HRW's!!  However, the wiring configuration is very odd and will definitely be my first mod.  I could not engage ONLY the neck and bridge p'ups for that funky, yet full tone of other two pickup gits.  The middle p'up is controlled by the knob closest to the high 'E' string.  I will rewire it so that I have individual volume control over each of the three pickups, and have a single 'master tone' control.  The true potential for this three pickup beauty remains untapped until it is rewired to my preferences.  I did this mod on my old Gibby R7 Black Beauty three p'up and it sound truly amazing.  If it were not for the 11+ lb weight, it would still be in my harem.  For now, however, this lightweight H157 is still a real winner, beating out the Gibby Custom Shop predecessor in overall build quality. 

Next I pulled off all of the knobs, tailpiece and bridge for a thorough cleaning and minor setup.  I used Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish to get the finish back to it's original lustrous beauty.  The color is a bit darker than the pictures.  Very rich looking!!  All of the hardware polished up to like new shine.  There is virtually no wear on the gold!  After oiling the ebony fretboard with a light application of mineral oil, I restrung it with DR Blues Pure Nickel 10-46. 

Overall, this is a fabulous guitar.  Serial number begins with 'T', so I think that makes it a 2002 or 2003 (?).

I promised a full report and hope this gives you all a flavor of another interesting and unique Heritage H157!

One more look...

FRONT:

heritageh1577xv5.jpg

REAR:

heritageh1579ea3.jpg

Excellent tone report and one of the best Heritages I have ever seen.

+10000 on the Virtuoso cleaner (I bought the polish too, but who needs it when the cleaner works so well)

Just curious. What is the toggle configuration currently on the guitar? ( I like your mod better).

As far as the pickup selector switch is concerned, I am still playing with it to try to figure that darned thing out! 

So that I don't screw this thing up, I went to Gibson.com for a little help and located the Original hand drawn Schematic for "1963 and later 3 p'up LP Customs"!!  It is initialled 'E.L.S.' and also applies to the 3 pickup Artisan and SG Custom guitars.  I also found the 1997 schematic for Brent's favorite 'Ace Frehley'!!  ;)

see the linky:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/schematics/LPCustom3PU.PDF

Basically it says the toggle switch in the 'Rhythm' position activates only the Neck p'up.

The middle toggle position is supposed to activate the 'Middle and Bridge' p'up.

The treble position activates the 'Bridge' p'up only.

This is what I assumed Heritage did so that will be my starting point.

The wierdness starts when you twist the Vol/Tone knobs. 

That's why I believe having a Master Tone is the only way to get the most out of these babies IMHO.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
if that guitar were a woman...i'd **** it!!! ;D

No, the input jack is to big for you! ;D ;D ;D

I had to give you one for all of the work you have done Guitfiddler.  Great score, great photos, fantastic information about the rewiring. Keep us, "abreast."

"No, the input jack is to big for you!"  Cuz, you have to give the man credit for thinking big.  :)

We wouldn't slam you if we didn't care for you and try cure you of some atypical disorders

-GAS

and

-GSAS

Get well my friend, we are pulling for you!

Archived