Heritage Owners Club

If light weight is key, what's the best combo amp?

fxdx99

So none of my amps really weigh all that much - the allen around 40lbs, the 5E3 and PRRI probably around 25-30. But both still take a 'hand' to load in and I can't just strap them to the back of the bike.

If light weight is the critical factor, what's the best guitar combo amp? How low can one go? Tech21... a type of lunch box amp (have seen something w/a plam tree type design on it)...

don't know if this counts, but my little gibsonette probably weighs 20 pounds maybe, and if you run a TS-9 through it, it sounds good..

don't know if this counts, but my little gibsonette probably weighs 20 pounds maybe, and if you run a TS-9 through it, it sounds good..

Smile - I've a gibsonette, too, a super clean 1952 that's got a very unique "pre-tweed" tone. About 8 watts, 10" speaker - I use it quite a bit at coffee house things. But... given it's in such good condition don't want to expose it to 'rough' handling and certainly not going to strap on the bike.

Agree that it fits the bill for light weight and good tone - thinking there's gotta be some other amps that fit this nitch...

I don't know the exact weight of a Deluxe Reverb or the new Reissue version, but that is probably one of the best 'tone-to-weight' amps out there in my opinion.

22 watts of pure Fender tone, plus vibrato and a lush reverb and at a very competitive price is a hard to beat package...that won't break your back.

So none of my amps really weigh all that much - the allen around 40lbs, the 5E3 and PRRI probably around 25-30. But both still take a 'hand' to load in and I can't just strap them to the back of the bike.

If light weight is the critical factor, what's the best guitar combo amp? How low can one go? Tech21... a type of lunch box amp (have seen something w/a plam tree type design on it)...

well, if tubes are an option & biking is preferred:

- songworks amp (palm tree?) - i had one & it worked fine (the 33w model). looks like Tris (a real good guy) has done some biz changes

- zt amps lunchbox - had one & it was shockingly good considering size & solidstateyness $260

- ehx 22 cal - combine w/speaker cab of choice & also amusingly good sound, considering. am pondering/plotting a 6" or 8" cab to foist on Peter Mather to combine with this. $90

- v-stack - have had for years, plug directly into P.A. (w/adapter kit) for when you lose your entire rig @ a gig :huh: . i like the Tweedy most bestest, EEMMV (everybody else's...)

all these options can or might fit in backpack or gig bag

Sorry, I missed the fact that you want to take you amp on a BIKE!

Of course a Deluxe Reverb would not do. Speed reading with old eyes never work very well!. :huh:

My recommendation would be as you mentioned...a Tech 21, Trademark 10 solid state amp...WITH the custom fit amp gig bag:

gig_bag.jpg

Tech 21 Accessories

Thanks - great replies. I like the idea of the 60s Jets, Slider, especially after your post of the reverb rocket. Big Bob, you've gone too far :huh:

Kenny - my buddy just bought one of those and used it a couple weeks ago at the sat morn jam. Thought it sounded great, in fact I was really quite impressed with it. For that app where we have multiple vocs/keys/guitars all going thru the pa and the monitors in front, it was a little difficult to get it mixed right. But yeh, a good sound from that.

Yeh Barry - like the Vox as well, but is a bit more for strapping to a bike.

And GuitFiddler like the idea of that amp in a bag - right up the alley I was looking. I should probably clarify, the bike I'm referring to is a motorcycle. Guitar usually goes in the saddlebag unless it's a larger size, then in a gigbag over the back.

RJ - YES, the little lanai is what I'd seen in I think Vintage Guitar and it seemed like it may fit the bill with it's 'no bigger than a six-pack' reference. You had one, eh? So what does it do / not do for you? In fact, all your suggestions would seem that you've been down this road - they all seem worthy contenders. That ZT lunchbox reads like an interesting amp as well as do the other 2 (although I kind of like the combo idea).

Not that these would displace anything - will still use the accomplish (DR-like), the 5e3, the PRRI, the gibbys, but something that doesn't cost a lot (should it 'fall off' or get jarred too much) and is light weight would have it's place if it can provide a reasonable sound.

... I should probably clarify, the bike I'm referring to is a motorcycle. Guitar usually goes in the saddlebag unless it's a larger size, then in a gigbag over the back.

i figured, given yer handle. this thing here got me all the way to Ioway and back, expands & ever'thin' :huh: - bungeed a Martin Backpacker to it and was good to go. so i went. ('00 FLSTC) betcha it'd hold a '82 Rivera-era Superchamp...

RJ - YES, the little lanai is what I'd seen in I think Vintage Guitar and it seemed like it may fit the bill with it's 'no bigger than a six-pack' reference. You had one, eh? So what does it do / not do for you? In fact, all your suggestions would seem that you've been down this road - they all seem worthy contenders. That ZT lunchbox reads like an interesting amp as well as do the other 2 (although I kind of like the combo idea).

the little lanilei was pretty neat. tube preamp. not much for headroom (i shoulda got it mod'd for bass use), but kinduva Mesa-ish sound. worked best with an extension cab. had it for years, good reliability. sold it when i got laid off in June.

the ZT, on the other hand, has the same format speaker, but sits in a band mix by itself in a pretty head-scratchingly good way. sold it to a friend & he used it for a public jam & cracked everybody up w/how good it sounded. (i was abusing a DRRI at the same time, & there were also loudish bass & drums)

Sorry for the digression, but this thread reminds me of the days when I was learning the ropes by watching the old guys that came in the shop where I worked. The first thing experienced players did then (mid 70s)to assess an amp was to pick it up and check the weight, just like a farmer hefted the 60lb bag of feed to see if it felt like 60lbs. Heavy = good; good iron (transformers), good speaker. Pick up a 60's Twin, then pick up a 60s 2x12 Silvertone, and you can feel the difference ...the twin probably weighed twice as much, maybe more than twice if it had JBL's in it.

Remember the Pignose? That was the first "travel amp" I remember. I had the larger version --i think it was called the Pignose 30, which was the first solid state amp I heard that had a decent sound --and it was certainly a lot easier to haul around than the Music Mans which were my gigging amps at the time, which were like boxes of rocks. I can't even remember when I let that little amp get away from me ... one of those trades over the years.

I've had one of these Behringer GM108's in the trunk of my car for the past 4 years or so, even in sub-zero temperatures. I use it for lessons. Its a knock-off of the Trademark 10, with the 3 amp, 3 speaker and 3 gain models. The original speaker blew, couldn't handle the power of the amp, so I put in a Jensen 35 watter and it can keep up pretty well with a light-handed drummer. I took off the cheesy "Behringer" logo and its good to go. They're like $60 at Musicians Friend, would probably fit in a saddle bag, and you can use the headphones out (with speaker sim) into a PA if you need to. I think the replacement Jensen speaker cost me around 30-40 bucks. Sounds better than anything else I've heard (Ibanez and Fender) in its size/price class.

Behringer V-Tone GM108 15W Modeling Guitar Combo Amp Specifications:

14-1/4"W x 13-1/4"H x 6-1/2"D

11 lbs., 3 oz.

post-238-1261146240_thumb.jpg

Smile - I've a gibsonette, too, a super clean 1952 that's got a very unique "pre-tweed" tone. About 8 watts, 10" speaker - I use it quite a bit at coffee house things. But... given it's in such good condition don't want to expose it to 'rough' handling and certainly not going to strap on the bike.

Agree that it fits the bill for light weight and good tone - thinking there's gotta be some other amps that fit this nitch...

Mine is a well worn '59 tweed color so I can take it out without too much worry..i would be heartbroken if some stole it though..It even has the rings on the top of it from someones beer bottle..:D

I've had one of these Behringer GM108's in the trunk of my car for the past 4 years or so, even in sub-zero temperatures. I use it for lessons. Its a knock-off of the Trademark 10, with the 3 amp, 3 speaker and 3 gain models. The original speaker blew, couldn't handle the power of the amp, so I put in a Jensen 35 watter and it can keep up pretty well with a light-handed drummer. I took off the cheesy "Behringer" logo and its good to go. They're like $60 at Musicians Friend, would probably fit in a saddle bag, and you can use the headphones out (with speaker sim) into a PA if you need to. I think the replacement Jensen speaker cost me around 30-40 bucks. Sounds better than anything else I've heard (Ibanez and Fender) in its size/price class.

Behringer V-Tone GM108 15W Modeling Guitar Combo Amp Specifications:

14-1/4"W x 13-1/4"H x 6-1/2"D

11 lbs., 3 oz.

WOW..that is cool..(and really light too..)

Thanks RJ - both of those look to fit the bill pretty well. Yeh, I've a tbag as well along w/leather bags on ghost-brackets. I've toyed w/the idea of mounting a ghost bracket right to an amp and just attaching it the nubs - think it'd be a pretty slick way to get an amp down the road as long as it could hold to the jarring ride it'd receive.

Whoa, Sparky, that's one inexpensive amp - and light. Need to check that one out as well. For the price of a few sets of strings can have another amp. Sounds rugged, too.

Yeh, Larry, recall the Pignose well. Thought of those, too, although pretty much just a 'driven' sound (as I recall). Good sounding amp, first with battery power, too, maybe?

Smuph, yeh the gibsonette's had quite a few changes thru the 50/60s. Here's my '52 gibby (original) on top of the '56 Gibby (not much original left including the Vikings purple)... both are light, but don't wanna strap them to a bike.

guitsandamps2008.jpg

Or for something old school....

When I clicked on guitar center this morning they had Fender Champion 600 for $99. 5 w, all tube, 6' skr.

must be an in store only... web has them at 149. call and check if interested.

I've never heard one, but I figure a 99$ , all tube Fender can't be all bad.

• 4 months later...

Old topic, but did place an order for the ZT lunchbox today. Beautiful morning and wanted to ride the bike to the jam, but wanted an amp along instead of plugging to the pa. Had a samash sale coupon so ordered one. Should fit in the saddlebag and work okay for what I need it for... can put a pedal in front if some flavor is needed.

Looking forward to getting it - 150 or tele in one bag, amp in the other. Oh yeh, fun stuff.

Archived