Heritage Owners Club

96' H-150 Old Fashioned Sunburst.

High Flying Bird

We were talking about dings in the finish of our guitars.  My bud said that the crater on the cut away on this guitar hurt him more than any other ding on his guitars.  I don't have too many pictures of this guitar where it turns out light enough to see the grain.  It's a beautiful guitar.  Plays good too.

http://www.ronwarren.com/150/

width=318 height=480http://www.ronwarren.com/150/img_6623_std.jpg[/img]

One of my two favorite finishes for H-Guitars. Man, that "crater" blew a hole right down to the core, didn't it. Wow! No wonder that one hurt. I'm getting kinda queasy just looking at it.

I need some antacids. Oh,.... I think I'm going vomit...

I like that finish...but I don't see any craters!

Just click on the link.

Look at the tip of the cutaway.

Get a bucket ready to blow chunks.

I have put craters in guitar and that, sir, is no crater.  A bad ding, sure.  But not anything to fret (groooaaaannn) over!

I'm starting to tremble at the thoughts running through my head! :o

I call it a crater.  Bummer.

BTW, I believe, technically, Heritage calls that color "antique sunburst". 

Is that an original pickguard?  I'm thinking that as a '96 that may be before the slight design change in shape to keep the G lawyers at bay.

I have an H150 in that color too, pic attached..yours is very nice.

yours appears to have Schaller pickups?

Chico

H150sma.jpg

H150sma.jpg_thumb

It is an Old Fashioned Sunburst.  I remember the ticket and warranty card.  You can see how much darker it is next to the 535 which is an Antique Sunburst in the link below.

Good eye on the pick guard!  He didn't like the horn on the front end of it so I worked it down with a file and an exacto saw. 

http://www.ronwarren.com/heritage/img_2318.htm

It is an Old Fashioned Sunburst.  I remember the ticket and warranty card.  You can see how much darker it is next to the 535 which is an Antique Sunburst in the link below.

Good eye on the pick guard!  He didn't like the horn on the front end of it so I worked it down with a file and an exacto saw. 

http://www.ronwarren.com/heritage/img_2318.htm

your pics are awesome!!!!!

If it were me, here's what I'd do about that crater.  Find a Gibson touch-up pen, clear lacquer.  Use the pen to apply about 5 or 6 coats of lacquer, in the crater only, without touching the surrounding wood.  What will happen is that the lacquer will bring the wood back to a darker color and the ding will be far less noticeable.  You'll still able to see it, but it won't stand out.

I bought a 535 a while back that had a terrible looking gash on the back of the headstock.  A few strokes with the touch-up pen and it looks much better, plus the bare wood is protected by the lacquer. 

No Gitfiddler, I like the pickup in it now.  A lot hotter than the one's in the other 535.  This guitar is odd in that it had a gold back, sides and neck.  I changed the pickup rings, Bigsby handle and tuner buttons.  I have pics of the final "edit" here.  http://www.ronwarren.com/trio/index.htm

Thanks Brent, I like to combine hobbies. 

John, I will try the pen.

OK, now you MUST give us a few photography lessons or tips after that linky!!

The final incredible shot of your gold H535 has an enhanced, chrome-like sheen like I've never seen before.  Is that done with filters, lighting, software or what? 

Fantastic work!

The H-150 has a fat neck and it is heavy as all get out.  I watch my buddy's place when he is out of town.  I stole my way into his house took the guitar home, snapped these photos, returned the guitar and then e-mailed the link to his work address.  :rolleyes:

When I take guitar pics I try and use a polarizer filter.  It cuts down on glare and picks up colors very well.  I also try and use a flash unit in a way that doesn't allow the flash to be seen.  I use a radio remote to fire the flash in this situation.  I also use reflectors if I need to.  The filter really cuts down on the shutter speed so I have the camera fire using the timer with the camera on a tripod.  On these photos I used a seamstress' "dress form" covered in a back drop for the stand.  If I had a real studio I might be able to get this down to a science but at the time I shoot products on location or in my small garage.

Having "good light" for a guitar finish brings out subtle tones that you can enhance but not create with software.  Sit down some time near an open window and place the guitar on your lap.  Move it around and look for all of the changes in color.  You can get lost in a good finish. 

Gitfiddler, sometimes I see the gold guitar out of the corner of my eye and my brain says, "Gretcsh", and I have to do a double take.  It's finish really looks that way in person.  So does the tiger stripped 150.  The 137 is a lot darker looking in average light.  The 150 from the original post is about 1/4 inch thinner than a standard 150.  It was called the H-150 Special. 

They're meant to be played.

Dings are part of the deal if you're actually going to play them.

If I was so worried about it, I'd buy a PRS Dragon and put it in a hermetically sealed glass case.

But I'm not, so I just have to live with the fact that sometime, somewhere, they're gonna take a knock or two.

Now...

Snapped headstocks make me cry.  It's the one design flaw on a LP styled guitar that could easily be fixed with some technology and have no effect on sound or appearance.

Snapped headstocks make me cry.  It's the one design flaw on a LP styled guitar that could easily be fixed with some technology and have no effect on sound or appearance.

No, no, no!  That's a "Feature!"  If they didn't have a 17 degree tilt back on the headstock, they wouldn't be so apt to break, which means we wouldn't have the opportunity to have them reglued which means they wouldn't sound better than they did before whatever caused the snap in the first place!

See?!  It's desirable!!

;D

They're meant to be played.

Dings are part of the deal if you're actually going to play them.

I agree 100%. After the first ding, it's not such a big deal.

That's a "Feature!"

Hey--maybe they need to have a spring-loaded headstock; that way, it'll "bounce back" after a fall to what it is supposed to be!

Archived