Heritage Owners Club

Super Eagle Festival

ingeneri

Just thought I'd try to up the HOC morale of late with a cool gig report. I subbed out my New Years Eve gig to Heritage endorser Geordie Kelley. Geordie plays a custom Super Eagle. Anyways, I ended up being free after midnight, so I grabbed my own 18" Super and headed down the gig.

We played the last set together, two beautifal Supers in antique sunburst, to a packed house. Geordie is a killer player, a former private student of Jimmy Bruno, and has been featured in Downbeat. We started off with a duo version of Satin Doll in the Pass/Ellis traditon. The rest of the set consisted of Chameleon, One Note Samba, I'll Remember April, Don't Get Around Much Anymore, and my "theme" a Bb Hard Bop blues version of Can't Buy Me Love.

Geordie's Super is customized with HRWs, while I have the stock Schallers. The most obvious comparison was he had a clearer note definition. He was playing with rounds while I had my Thomastik Swing flats. For amps, he was running through a Polytone, while I was using my Fender DRRI. Geordie was playing long slinky bop lines that impressively showcased his Joe Pass influence. I was working my bluesy Kenny Burrell/Wes bag. For comping, I stuck to the Freddie Green quarter notes in the background, while leaving space on top for Geordie to lay down some absolutely brilliantly sparkling chords.

In addition to my regular bass player from the brunch gig, we had Ted Efantis as a special guest. Ted is an old LA session musician vet who worked with Lester Young and Benny Goodman among others. The club was still about 1/2 to 2/3 full from 12:30-1:40, and we had them dancing most of the time despite it being a straight ahead jazz gig. A great gig and a nice treat to take the Super out of its usual Winter hibernation.

Sorry, no photos that I know of. Maybe next time.

THAT's a gig report! What I'd have given to have been at a table, sipping a Scotch for that one! Great little post Matt! Stereo Supers! Nice! Got me looking forward to the next outing for mine; they're too few and far between. My New Year's gig was great, but, sadly, not an evening for a Super! Thanks for that swell post!

What a great way to bring in the new year Matt!!!!.....I gotta get down there and catch one of your Sunday brunches.....I really love your style of playing....Hope you have a great new year and keep on posting reports like this one B)

Archived