Heritage Owners Club

Johnny Hiland wants Heritage

jaywolfe

Hiland approached Heritage several times during last weeks NAMM show asking to play a few guitars AND said he loved the quality & "sound" and wants to endorse them.post-13-1263834425_thumb.jpg

He sure made some fine music with the display H535.

Jay Wolfe

I have met Johnny at the PRS Experience when he was endorsing them and had his own model....a really nice guy and an incredible player...got to talk to him and watch him play up close...just a monster player on any kind of music..even though he is known for country. Would love to see him hook up with Heritage...

Here I am with him in 2007...

MeandJohnny.jpg

Johnny used to be a PRS endorser with his own signature guitar.

He left PRS supposedly over not enough money for the "PRS road show tours".

He is a GREAT guy from all accounts.

If he wants to play a Heritage you know he loves the tone, because Heritage pay little (if any thing at all) to endorsers.

I ALSO FEEL THIS IS A MAJOR COMPLIMENTARY STATEMENT TO HERITAGES QUALITY, TONE, AND PLAYABLILTY. JOHNNY HAD A PRS SIGNATURE GUITAR SO HE KNOWS PERFECT PLAYABILITY. FUNNY HE IS COMPLAINING ABOUT NUTS & FRETS !!!!!!!

FUNNY HE IS COMPLAINING ABOUT NUTS & FRETS !!!!!!!

You know John, what happened to your olive branch? These comments are obviously addressed at me and I feel that I must respond.

I don't appreciate your pointed and derogatory comments. Not one bit! I have tried to be civil, to respond to your questions with specific and helpful replies (e.g. your H575 questions, never once receiving an aknowledgement). Part of me is beginning to want nothing more with this online community. If it were not for the kind private notes that I received from many members during the last "flame" thread, I would have been long gone.

Your enthusiasim for Heritage has no bounds, which is a GOOD thing. Unfortunately you also seem to feel they have a "right" of ownership to this little piece of cyberspace over others who came in good will to join a "community". This is a BAD thing. Is this a private club or a community of people mwith a common interest who come to exchage thoughts and ideas? I had thought the later.

Perhaps your proposal for time away wasn't a bad suggestion, considering that, you do not seem to be able to contain yourself. It's simple: Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

Beyond Disappointed,

Bob

that's awesome! heritage is a small company, they need all the press they can get. I'm still amazed at how many people haven't heard of brands like Heritage, Hamer, Carvin, etc. Mention Gibson or Fender they know about it, probably know about ibanez, but also brands like Jackson, Charvel, ESP, Yamaha, and others go under the radar.

But, after owning two heritage guitars, I can say that you'll pry them from my cold dead hands. they are just beautiful looking, beautiful sounding, and beautiful playing. Of course, my Hamers, Carvins, and Gibsons also play great. Having the tools to set up your guitar how you like it goes a long way to making it play better.

that's awesome! heritage is a small company, they need all the press they can get. I'm still amazed at how many people haven't heard of brands like Heritage, Hamer, Carvin, etc. Mention Gibson or Fender they know about it, probably know about ibanez, but also brands like Jackson, Charvel, ESP, Yamaha, and others go under the radar.

Its true that a good endorsement can help get the brand name recognized more widely, but the primary use of an endorsement would be to include that endorsement in advertising. Since Heritage doesn't advertise (currently) and Hiland had a falling out with PRS which featured him prominently in many ads in guitar mags, I doubt the deal will satisfy his desire for more money.

Its true that a good endorsement can help get the brand name recognized more widely, but the primary use of an endorsement would be to include that endorsement in advertising. Since Heritage doesn't advertise (currently) and Hiland had a falling out with PRS which featured him prominently in many ads in guitar mags, I doubt the deal will satisfy his desire for more money.
was his falling out with PRS over money? They pay the big bucks, and I doubt he'd get a better deal elsewhere. Sometimes the issue is the Exclusivity that Gibson requires, that other companies don't.

Besides, how much money could Hiland want? He's not exactly EVH, who is most likely the most highly compensated endorser in guitar history, and is also probably one of the most difficult to work with, having already gone through Kramer, Music Man, Peavey, and now is with Fender, until they don't give him enough money. The problem though is that smaller brands can't meet the demand for his guitars, so he's gonna be stuck with them for a while. I wonder why he doesn't just start his own company like Flea of the RHCP?

Of course, I doubt that EVH will be as benevolent as Flea has been should he make his own company.

This is interesting since both he and Music Man have released statements saying they have come to an agreement. I would be cool if Johnny signed with Heritage though.

I don't care who he "signs" with - it's what he plays that matters. Joe Walsh has "signed" with just about everybody, but does he actually play the stuff?

"Maybe he fell for the guitar...not the marketing."

This is the feeling I got. My point (not well articulated) is that "he" approached Heritage, and he returned a couple of times & played some in their booth. Vince had no doubt explained their no pay program to him on their 1'st visit, so he returned played the guitars with cameras flashing in full knowledge that it would not profit him. I truly believe he would like to own & play a Heritage. Playing a PRS for a period of time will tend to make one yearn for some old vintage fat, warm tone.

In any event it's kinda flattering for Heritage.

NAMM shows are usually frequented by gear whores, who go from booth to booth in an attempt to get as much free gear as they can. They will approach with CD & sparse promo stuff in hand, and they are often somewhat successful. Nice scam if you can pull it off and they sell the stuff on fleabay. NOT putting Hiland in this group however, because a player of his stature can actually do Heritage some good. He gets lotsa press.

Heritage can't do much for him, beyond building him a very fine toneful instrument, but he can certainly help promote their brand.

Jay Wolfe

I don't care who he "signs" with - it's what he plays that matters. Joe Walsh has "signed" with just about everybody, but does he actually play the stuff?
I know he plays his Carvin stuff. He's using his CT6T in one of the Eagles DVDs. Of course, for one song. He's gotta make everyone happy. Carvin however doesn't really do normal "endorser" stuff, and instead people choose to give them endorsement. Or something like that. Except for people like Alan Holdsworth, Steve Vai, and now Sekou Bunch, who have actual signature models they developed with Carvin.

Thats sweet, Johnny's a great player! Good thing the drama fest was snuffed out quickly! The only DQ I want is a butterscotch triple cone, man.

Any news on this story, is Johnny going with Heritage, or is that in negotiation ?

He was only recently announced as an EBMM endorsee, (their Silhouette model)

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...man-family.html

Perhaps it is not an exclusive deal with EBMM ?

He was wearing an Ernie Ball badge at NAMM.

Archived