Heritage Owners Club

535 gig bag

studiobill

Reunion Blues had an impressive video playing at NAMM. They would throw a guitar (Les Paul and strat) out of a window, off of a roof, etc. in one of theif gig bags and then have a guy on the ground immediately open the bag and show you the guitar was A ok. I nearly bought one of the things on the spot but they didn't have any for sale there.

wow. didn't know there were gig bags out there that could take that kind of abuse and not damage the guitar inside.

I was gonna take a video of it (as my wifes camera does videos as well) but figured they must have that on the web already. Haven't checked their sight yet, but I'd be suprised if it wasn't there.

My guitar gig bag doubles as a .... uh, a gig bag. :lol: I keep mics, cords, strap, etc. in mine. Easy pic'ns for jams, etc. Plus, it the case doesn't get all stinkies and smoky, that way.

Those ReunionBlues bags look cool. Was checking them out at GuitarDenter the other day. Almost pulled the trigger on the Continental. :D

I agree - Gigbags give me the screaming heebie-jeebies.

For a Squier, OK..but a Heritage? Gimme the hard case!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! No one in their right mind is going to put a 535 in a gig bag..... It needs a case man, A CASE!! DON"T DO IT!

You might as well get a cheap and nasty semi from some chinese factory because it won't matter if it gets beat up. My 555 only comes out of the case to be played!

Looks like they had loads of fun. I'd never do that though. dang.

They didn't seem to have enough confidence to do it with a real guitar though, did they? I wonder if they would put a few grands worth of guitar in a case and do the same test, on both occasions they used cheap end guitars, that tells me everything.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! No one in their right mind is going to put a 535 in a gig bag..... It needs a case man, A CASE!! DON"T DO IT!

You might as well get a cheap and nasty semi from some chinese factory because it won't matter if it gets beat up. My 555 only comes out of the case to be played!

I agree 100%. I would NEVER put a semi-solid or hollowbody guitar in a gig bag!

I agree 100%. I would NEVER put a semi-solid or hollowbody guitar in a gig bag!

While I understand the hesitation to use a gig bag I have to tell you that almost every real gigging guitarist I know has them. I do a solo act 3 to 6 nights a week. I carry everything myself. Including sound system, drum machines, synth modules, stands, etc... Being able to strap your guitar on your back and having 1 or 2 hands free to cary other things is a huge help. Now I'm not talking about some cheap $20.00 gig bag with no padding. I am the only one carrying my guitar. I don't have to worry about some roadie tossing my guitar in a truck. I have friends in New York carrying $10,000 custom made archtops to gigs in gig bags.

While I understand the hesitation to use a gig bag I have to tell you that almost every real gigging guitarist I know has them. I do a solo act 3 to 6 nights a week. I carry everything myself. Including sound system, drum machines, synth modules, stands, etc... Being able to strap your guitar on your back and having 1 or 2 hands free to cary other things is a huge help. Now I'm not talking about some cheap $20.00 gig bag with no padding. I am the only one carrying my guitar. I don't have to worry about some roadie tossing my guitar in a truck. I have friends in New York carrying $10,000 custom made archtops to gigs in gig bags.

I do see your point... there are times when I'm loaded down with a bag full of mic's, pedals, and cords over my shoulder, an amp and mic stand in one hand, and hard shell case with my 535 (or LP) in the other... and I can't help but think there is got to be an easier way! But for some reason I also find myself not being able to put enough trust into a gig bag - perhaps it's just an extra sense of security that a HSC brings, I mean heck, if I had it my way I would probably use this to transport it...

post-1459-1263947772_thumb.jpg

Godin use their tric case for the Kingpin . It probably wouldn't fit a 535 but maybe there is something similar out there. It has a backstraps built in.

KingpinIIBurgInCase.jpg

I have one for a Seagull acoustic but prefer to use an extra padded gig bag as it has pockets for strings, capos, etc etc. Mind you that guitar has a split top and lives in the boot of my car in all weathers and is beat to hell.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Godin-Kingpin-II-P9...=item4a9cfd6f09

The deluxe version has a canvas cover.

http://www.daddyosmusic.com/cases.htm

I wasn't a big fan of them, either. Until I got one and started to use it. And it ain't no cheapie, either. Like anything, you get what you pay for. Throw a guitar around in a $39 bag and you'll end up with a $39 bag and some firewood. But then, how many of us really throw our bags or cases like that? Not too many, I'd assume. Now a well put together gigbag, like the RB Continental can be some much more than a rectangular case, especially when it comes to holding more than a guitar. In fact, the molded case that came with the G&L doesn't even have lids on the pockets. And the cases for the Prospects, I can barely get the guitar and a strap in it. So, gigbags it be for me. And there are nice ones out there for semi's. Altho' I must admit the first time I took the Prospect out in the gigbag I was very very very extra very careful with it.

I'm looking for a gig bag for my 535.

I think I've narrowed it down to Levy's or Reunion Blues. Both have one in the $130 - $150 range.

Anyone have experience with either?

Thanks

Bill

I am not aware of Levy's but I can tell you that Reunion Blues are fantastic and very safe - they are definitely no ordinary gig bags. I had always been skeptical about gig bags until someone recommended Reunion Blues to me. I bought one to carry my favourite bass guitar and I have not looked back since. My hard cases are now stored away to keep them new - I do not need to use them. Hope this gives you some comfort.

Studiobill and tulk1 pretty much sum it for me. I've a Taylor acoustic gig bag that I got from Craigslist for... what, can't recall, something in the 25-40 range. Likely not as good as a reunion blues but it works for the semis and 525 for me. I've used it for a few years without mishap, but am careful with it. Also have a Levy gig bag that I use for the smaller solid bodies. Just too convenient to put the guitar over your back to free up your hands, lighter weight/less bulk when you've amps/cord bags/etc to bring in, etc.

I only use Gig Bags & my main axe is a H535. My orig. hard cases are in storage. Leaves my hands free to carry stuff AND I ride a Motorcycle. Kinda "interesting" when over 80mph!

Call me if you wanna deal on a gig bag for H535. (shameless plug) With Heritage's big peghead angle, one has to be mindful & careful.......or.....OMG my headstock just fell off!!!

Jay Wolfe 561-746-2209

Looks like they had loads of fun. I'd never do that though. dang.

THose are the ones! They had them playin in a loop on a big screen over their booth - right in front of the food court area. I don't think your typical hard shell case would do as well.

They didn't seem to have enough confidence to do it with a real guitar though, did they? I wonder if they would put a few grands worth of guitar in a case and do the same test, on both occasions they used cheap end guitars, that tells me everything.

Try doing that with your hardshell case. You'd have firewood. I'm impressed. About the only thing that would protect your guitar better would be a flight case.

I got a gig bag with my Alvarez acoustic. It's semi hard, has a zippable pocked. Back straps, combo lock, humidty sensor. That thing is sweek and protects my guitar about as good as a hard shell. I would deffinately trust a gig bag. The hands free thing is key when you are humping gear in and out of a place.

Try doing that with your hardshell case. You'd have firewood. I'm impressed. About the only thing that would protect your guitar better would be a flight case.

May be so, but I am not in the habit of throwing my guitars out of windows in hard cases. While it's up to each person to buy what suits them, I will stick with my hard case.

I got a gig bag with my Alvarez acoustic. It's semi hard, has a zippable pocked. Back straps, combo lock, humidty sensor. That thing is sweek and protects my guitar about as good as a hard shell. I would deffinately trust a gig bag. The hands free thing is key when you are humping gear in and out of a place.

I have a semi-hard (or is it semi-soft? :D ) case for my Tele and it's great. I like it a lot better then my hard case for the great portability and the storage space.

There's a reason one is a "case" and one is a "gig bag", they're built for two different situations.

Archived