Heritage Owners Club

1996 535 Sunset Burst in da house !

SouthpawGuy

Congrats. That is a real beauty. What year was that made?

I've seen some real nice flame lately.

Guess I should read the title. 1996. It's in nice shape.

Thanks for the compliments guys ! I got this one from New York, ( via Michigan :mellow: ) a lefty guitar player selling to get a bass. It was never used very much at all. It never had a pickguard fitted, which is fine with me, the finish is too nice to cover up.

I have P-Rails in the 170 as well and they do sound different in the 535. With the triple shot switching I have series / parallel / P-90 / single coil for each pickup plus all combinations of those with the pickups combined.

The single coil rail setting in particular sounds much better in the 535. The 170 doesn't have the parallel mode which it turns out is great for bass light tones, very clear but not harsh. Series humbucker on the neck is big fat and juicy. I'm finding a lot of the tones to be useful. The P-90s are like fat single coils, not as much bite or attitude as say a G&L MFD, but a welcome change from buckers.

Beautiful colour and a tastefully composed photo.

Would the difference in the P-Rails make you consider changing your 170 pick-ups for something completely different

(given your impression that the P-Rails seem to better suit the 535?)

or do you like them for the difference in both guitars?

I remember seeing an earlier post and photo by Brent that said it was heading your way.

A great find and obviously pleasing result.

Enjoy SP from a fellow lefty. (albeit an unorthodox one!)

Beautiful colour and a tastefully composed photo.

Would the difference in the P-Rails make you consider changing your 170 pick-ups for something completely different

(given your impression that the P-Rails seem to better suit the 535?)

or do you like them for the difference in both guitars?

I remember seeing an earlier post and photo by Brent that said it was heading your way.

A great find and obviously pleasing result.

Enjoy SP from a fellow lefty. (albeit an unorthodox one!)

I was referring to the P-Rail single coil (rail) mode, it sounds a lot better in the 535 than the 170, it has more depth and is less trebly. The pickups in the 170 are excellent, very versatile indeed. Overall they have less bite in the semi hollow than in the solid body, which is to be expected, with all of the modes allowing that "semi" tone come through.

You might like to try them in your 170 ... :mellow:

I was referring to the P-Rail single coil (rail) mode, it sounds a lot better in the 535 than the 170, it has more depth and is less trebly. The pickups in the 170 are excellent, very versatile indeed. Overall they have less bite in the semi hollow than in the solid body, which is to be expected, with all of the modes allowing that "semi" tone come through.

You might like to try them in your 170 ... :mellow:

The 170 is still in transit from the U.S. and I've never heard the stagmag's.

The P-Rails is something I would consider longer term as I'm sure the stagmag's will be great

and I've yet to hear/ use them- so something to look forward to on both counts.

Did your 170 have the P-Rails when you first got it or did you change from the original pu's?

Cheers,

Simon in Melbourne.

The 170 is still in transit from the U.S. and I've never heard the stagmag's.

The P-Rails is something I would consider longer term as I'm sure the stagmag's will be great

and I've yet to hear/ use them- so something to look forward to on both counts.

Did your 170 have the P-Rails when you first got it or did you change from the original pu's?

Cheers,

Simon in Melbourne.

The 170 was fitted with Schaller pickups and hardware and both were replaced before I received it. It also had the older VIP system using three mini switches. When the P-Rails were fitted two of the switches were replaced with 3 way minis for series / P-90 / single coil on each pickup. At the moment the middle switch is not wired up, I might see if I can get someone local to wire it up for parallel switching on both pickups.

pics ...

before ...

P1010082.jpg

after ...

170.jpg

Archived