Heritage Owners Club

Got it...

cosmikdebriis

Some of you may remember a recent post of mine in which I had won a 535 on Ebay Uk but was having difficulties with the vendor. Communication was so difficult that I'd begun to wonder if it was yet another eBay scam.

Well eventually we managed to communicate and today I did the 300 mile round trip to collect it. Turned out he was a really nice, friendly guy so it's restored my faith in human nature.

I've not much to report so far as she has knackered old 10's on it and sounds rather dull. I'm going to need to sort that before I know what she's really like.

This is only my second foray into the 335/535 market, the previous having been a vintage 70's Yamaha. (Very nice guitar). So, I'm not really sure what to expect.

She's certainly very well made though there are a few marks on the fretboard from filing. The schaller pickups sound a little muddy but I'm hoping that's down to the strings. Also, rather strangely, I've noticed the volume controls seem only effective over a quarter of their range. Made me wonder if they were linear rather than logarithmic. Finally the frets appear to be made of brass. The action was a little high but that's hopefully just a matter of preference rather than a fault in the neck.

So, all you 535 owners, give me some opinions, advice. I'm going to have to give this one a set up ;D

I've included a pic as I though I'd get expelled if I didn't, though it's dark over here and I don't think the flash photography helps.

535.html

Turned out he was a really nice, friendly guy so it's restored my faith in human nature.

535.html

Nice stick, cos....  Congrats on seeing the deal through.  And restoring faith in human nature is what guitars do, isn't it?  Hope that piece "cleans up" well for you.

slate

Well eventually we managed to communicate and today I did the 300 mile round trip to collect it. Turned out he was a really nice, friendly guy so it's restored my faith in human nature.

i know how you feel...i have some really dis-honest people and some great people w/ internet guitar deals....i'm glad this was a +1 for ya!!!

Cheers guys...

I'm a little confused as to why the frets look brass like? Is/was that standard on one of these? I'm certainly no 335/535 expert.

As the guitar hadn't been used for some time I had to give the frets a quick polish. They just look brassier now ;D

Well done. Thats got a real antique kinda violin quality to the finish.Ive not heard of brass frets. Maybe they just need a good clean :) I still say that its a real bargain. You can do something even on a well used guitar if the basic guitar is sound.Many happy hours of tweaking. BTW guys git is not offensive but, you wouldnt call it your mother. Its kinda like varmit, that sorta thing :)

Brass frets huh?  That smells a little funny. Hope it ain't one 'o them there Musoland creations. That would suck.

Did you get any documentation from the seller? An original sales receipt or something?

Well if it is Musoland then I'd buy a ship full at $400 a throw... (Musso prices for a 335) ;D

Seriously though, I do have all documentation and a quick look inside the pickup cavities shows it's hand made !!!

The frets remain a bit of a mystery to me, I'll take some close ups for you guys inspection. It still has the fret edge binding so I doubt they've been changed.

Oh... and GIT is just a mild, almost affectionate insult over here. We might call someone an "old git" similarly (in films at least) you might call someone and "old timer"

Whilst we're on the subject of insults. To tell someone to "Fu*k off" is generally, quite heavily frowned upon. However to to say "Bugger off" is quite acceptable. Of course the true meaning of both would tell a different story  ???

Very nice indeed !! I'm sure a fret polishing with 0004 stel wool will clean them right up. Most likely oxidation on the frets. A little lemon oil on the board also. I have the Schaller pickups in my H555, and think they sound very much like the Duncan '59's that are in my H140.

Archived