Heritage Owners Club

The Ghosts of Kalamazoo

Guido

Hello HOC Members!

I wrote several emails to Heritage with questions about my H-150.

I bought the guitar used and unfortunately it has no label inside.

I would like to know if the finish is really Vintage Sunburst (VSB) and what's the

real reason for the stingers.

So I provided Heritage the serial number but I didn't receive any answer so far.

So I guess the story about the ghosts of Kalamazoo must be true!!! :evil4:

Honestly I am a little bit disappointed because everyone here told me I shall email the

company and they will answer my questions.

I know that some of you guys visit the company from time to time, so maybe you

can ask the questions for me. Maybe the ghosts give you an answer?!

The serial number is J 20005!

Thanks

Guido

Hello HOC Members!

I would like to know if the finish is really Vintage Sunburst (VSB) and what's the

So I provided Heritage the serial number but I didn't receive any answer so far.

So I guess the story about the ghosts of Kalamazoo must be true!!! :evil4:

Honestly I am a little bit disappointed because everyone here told me I shall email the

Thanks

Guido

The boys at heritage don't keep those kind of records. If you could post pics I bet we could tell you the color.

Yeah, I would bet that the guys at Kalamazoo don't spend much time on computers.... :computer: and may not be that good at typing either... :huh:

As for the finish... usually VSB is pretty distinct and could be identified with an accurate pic.

There are a lot of people here that have seen a lot of guitars, so that answer should be fairly easy.

The stinger comes from the Gibson days and the Gibby guys would probably tell you that it can hide some unattractive grains on the back of the headstock. G Gruhn says that it does not affect the value of the guitar.

Some people just like the look of them ... me included. :icon_thumright:

I think that has something to do with the Batman comics and movies.... :ph34r:

Hello HOC Members!

So I guess the story about the ghosts of Kalamazoo must be true!!! :icon_thumright:

Thanks

Guido

Hi Guido..I think the stingers are on there because they LOOK COOL!! :computer:

" . . . So I provided Heritage the serial number but I didn't receive any answer so far . . . "

A computer was brought into the Heritage factory in 2007 by then-new co-owner and partner, Vince Margol. From my experience, you will most often get replies to emails, but sometimes you won't. Heritage does not behave like the usual corporate entity. Keep any emails short and to the point. Hopefully, you will get some kind of response.

A computer was brought into the Heritage factory in 2007 by then-new co-owner and partner, Vince Margol. From my experience, you will most often get replies to emails, but sometimes you won't. Heritage does not behave like the usual corporate entity. Keep any emails short and to the point. Hopefully, you will get some kind of response.

That's to bad, I believe they have a chance to be huge, they truley have great guitars and it seems with the right marketing they could be big.

That's to bad, I believe they have a chance to be huge, they truley have great guitars and it seems with the right marketing they could be big.

Just an honest group of people that look to make an honest living and feel pride in their work.

Although it is a business, a chance to get huge isn't a real motivation,. it doesn't necessarily make you a happier person.

They can do it on their own terms now and I believe that is important to them.

You are right about the great guitars.... absolutely.... :headbang:large_mainphoto.jpg

Hello!

Thanks for all your answers.

You can see pictures of my guitar in the gallery.

gallery_1644_194_42929.jpg

I don't believe the stingers are designed to hide bad wood.

All the necks look beautiful with good wood and then they should have used bad wood for the headstocks?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Almost every guitar around the '90s have the stingers. Personally I think they just did it during this time period.

But I would really like to know what the "ghosts" of Kalamazoo have to say about the stingers.

Well, maybe we'll never know! :headbang:

Hello!

All the necks look beautiful with good wood and then they should have used bad wood for the headstocks?

Almost every guitar around the '90s have the stingers. Personally I think they just did it during this time period.

But I would really like to know what the "ghosts" of Kalamazoo have to say about the stingers.

Well, maybe we'll never know! :tearyeyed:

Definitely Vintage burst, without a doubt.

I have been told by a former Gibson employee that Gibson used the stingers to hide an in house headstock repair. It doesn't mean that the headstock was broken off but it may have had a fine crack. I know some of those were sold as bargains, I don't know that they ever sold them as #1's. Does your guitar have a #2 on it?

Hello!

Wow, looks damn nearly like mine! As far as the email thing goes, give it up. I've tried on several occasions and gotten no response. No biggie though, because now, I get all of my answers here ;)

Hello!

That one is awesome, I love the top....

My thoughts on the stinger... I don't speak of bad wood, at all.... Heritage would never use that.

Even though a neck may be one piece, you will often find that the headstock has "wings" ( I can't remember the right term right now ).

In other words if you looked at the back of the headstock , it would be 3 pieces of wood...not 1.

It looks fine when finished , really. But the grains may be slightly different... no big deal on the back of a headstock.

The adding of a stinger is an extra cost and must be done perfectly. It certainly doesn't indicate any lesser quality...

A large percentage of top of the line archtops have it...

As it was ( and is ) used by many makers (Gibson, Benedetto to name a couple) on their very best, it carries a certain elegance.

I love the stinger..... even Eagle Centurions have it.... gallery_1051_3_6601.jpg

That one is awesome, I love the top....

My thoughts on the stinger... I don't speak of bad wood, at all.... Heritage would never use that.

Even though a neck may be one piece, you will often find that the headstock has "wings" ( I can't remember the right term right now ).

In other words if you looked at the back of the headstock , it would be 3 pieces of wood...not 1.

It looks fine when finished , really. But the grains may be slightly different... no big deal on the back of a headstock.

The adding of a stinger is an extra cost and must be done perfectly. It certainly doesn't indicate any lesser quality...

A large percentage of top of the line archtops have it...

As it was ( and is ) used by many makers (Gibson, Benedetto to name a couple) on their very best, it carries a certain elegance.

I love the stinger..... even Eagle Centurions have it.... gallery_1051_3_6601.jpg

It is true that a stinger was standard on many archtops and it can be custom ordered that way. If you really want to know simply call them on the phone and ask them why they use stingers. I talk to them every day. If you need help let me know and I'll call for you.

Dennis

Just an honest group of people that look to make an honest living and feel pride in their work.

Although it is a business, a chance to get huge isn't a real motivation,. it doesn't necessarily make you a happier person.

You are right about the great guitars.... absolutely.... :laughing4:large_mainphoto.jpg

+1 Fred!

Heritage, "huge"? Probably the very day after Congress goes to work for the taxpayer and the federal government becomes...efficient and cost effective!

You are right about the great guitars.... absolutely.... :laughing4:large_mainphoto.jpg

I agree and just for clarification, I meant more widespread and accessable than monatary gains, It would suck if Heritage wasn't around, the ability to get a qualtiy handmade guitar isn't an everyday thing. So the better they do, the better it is for me being able to continue to purchase thier insturments.

I agree and just for clarification, I meant more widespread and accessable than monatary gains, It would suck if Heritage wasn't around, the ability to get a qualtiy handmade guitar isn't an everyday thing. So the better they do, the better it is for me being able to continue to purchase thier insturments.

+1

These guys are a treasure, for sure. I must say that taking a tour of the Parsons St. plant is a real treat also...!!!

It is true that a stinger was standard on many archtops and it can be custom ordered that way. If you really want to know simply call them on the phone and ask them why they use stingers. I talk to them every day. If you need help let me know and I'll call for you.

Dennis

Hi!

Well I am from Germany. So a phone call is not my number 1 option.

But if you really talk to them so often, maybe you could ask the stinger question and let us know?

Would be great!

Guido

I've e-mailed Heritage on several occasions and have never once gotten a reply so don't feel bad! I think it just depends on how the planets are aligned, which way the wind is blowing and something about a groundhog and his shadow. :lol:

I've e-mailed Heritage on several occasions and have never once gotten a reply so don't feel bad! I think it just depends on how the planets are aligned, which way the wind is blowing and something about a groundhog and his shadow. :lol:

``They didn't have a computer in the place,''Vince Margol said. ``They just kept doing business the way they did it in the '50s'' when they started working for Gibson Guitar Corp."

``We have a computer now,'' he said, pointing to an example of a change he's bringing to the company.

All Heritage's bookkeeping will be computerized to make sure orders are filled and the company is paid for its products, the four owners said.

``But we're not looking to automate,'' he says of the building of the guitars.

``They didn't have a computer in the place,''Vince Margol said. ``They just kept doing business the way they did it in the '50s'' when they started working for Gibson Guitar Corp."

``We have a computer now,'' he said, pointing to an example of a change he's bringing to the company.

All Heritage's bookkeeping will be computerized to make sure orders are filled and the company is paid for its products, the four owners said.

``But we're not looking to automate,'' he says of the building of the guitars.

You forgot the last line:

"With that, Vince and the gang climbed in to their covered wagon and rode off into another beautiful Kalamazoo sunset."

:lol:

Archived