Heritage Owners Club

NEW AMP DAY on Saturday

jrfreed

So I've been in the process of updating my Classic 30...but stumbled across an amp I had to have!

I was on a mission for new strings. I had a jazz combo gig later that night and figured I'd give my 530 a good cleaning and string change beforehand. I went to GC and no luck with my brand (suprise suprise) so on a whim I decided to pull into Texas Music Emporium knowing it was a long shot. No luck on the strings, but sitting there was a Limited Edition Blues Jr sitting there. Ive seen the tweed, the relic'd tweed and the Texas Red...but here was a new animal I didnt even know existed.

British Green tolex, Celestion V30 in the box, white chicken head knobs, silver grille cloth and 15 watts of killer tone.

I grabbed a Godin 5th Ave so I could give it a p90 run thru, and this amp had the tone I've been hoping I can get from my c30. I haggled and walked after dropping 500 out the door.

Took it to the gig and my 530 never sounded better...warm, full, and plenty of headroom with the v30 and a JAN-Philips 5751 in v1 (first thing I did when I got home) Awesome amp for the $ and perfect for the groups I'm playing with right now.

JR,

Good find! Your 530 must sound not too different than my floating block P90 Prospect. Hard to match with an amp for anything other than jazz. Odd that a cathiod bias EL84 and V30 become mellow with a new V30. They take a while to breakin.

100% agree. The sound of the v30 will richen after a good 6 mos of use, but here's my current settings with the hollowbody 530 and lollar p90's

I find the v30 to be very "mid-voiced" so I set the EQ to T=8 M=1.5 B=8 and reverb around 3....Volume 3, and master at 2. Guitar volume at 7/8 for comping chords (depending on the drummer using brushes or sticks) and up to 10 for solos....tone stays on 7. With the big band Tuesday I plan on just rolling up the volume to 4-5 and master to 3 on the amp and at home it stayed clean to that and beyond.

Swapping out the GT 12ax7 red also sweetened up the tone. The 5751 is a very vintage sounding tube (about 70% the gain of a 12ax7) so adds a bit of compression to my ears and takes a bit of the edge off. Not using this beyond breakup at this time so the GT EL84's (i.e sovtek's) arent a concern....but will eventually swap them for el84m's

One observation though...I see you also play an Eastman. I wasnt wild about the Kent pups + Blues Jr setup. It was WAAAY too dark. I plan on using my modded Classic 30 (which is too bright with the p90's) when playing my Eastman

Thanks for the review of your Ltd. Ed. BJ Vintage 30. That is a more unusual pairing for that amp and I've wanted to hear about others who tried the V30 speaker in one.

I had a new Celestion V30 in mine for a while and just pulled it out last week. Man, I tried to like it, but it only sounded good over driven. Yes, it was clean clean, but the heavy handed mids just got to me after a while. Maybe it needed more break in. I played a bass (gently) through the amp to try to break it in at low volumes for a while. That helped a little, but not enought to keep it in the amp. Stuck the OEM speaker back in and it's much better. Now there's a bit more useable range from the Bass/Treble/Mid pots as originally intended.

Now I have a darn near new V30 back in the box. I'll probably sell it.

One thing that improved the tone was to crank the T/B pots all the way and adjust the Mids to taste.

Glad you were able to find decent settings for yours.

Tim

100% agree. The sound of the v30 will richen after a good 6 mos of use, but here's my current settings with the hollowbody 530 and lollar p90's

One observation though...I see you also play an Eastman. I wasnt wild about the Kent pups + Blues Jr setup. It was WAAAY too dark. I plan on using my modded Classic 30 (which is too bright with the p90's) when playing my Eastman

The Eastman 905's stock Kent was junk, replaced with handwound. Night & day. I'm still waiting for my V30 to breakin and I only like it with a Fender or overdriven and been thinking about pulling it for a greenback. It's in a closed back cab made for my Goodsell which is a head. I ordered my Heyseed with the same tweed covering so I plan to just drop the Goodsell head on that and use the Alnico or mix the boxed V30 and open backed Blue.

I definatley have a new set of Lollar Imperials on the radar for my Eastman...that guitar deserves a much better pickup than those Kents.

As for the v30 I'm also suprised its working so well for jazz. I always thought the greenback would be much more suitable, but roll the mids off hard + Lollar p90's + hollowbody = instant Grant Green jazz tone.

Lucked out huge as I never would have put this together on my own! HAHAHA!

So I've been in the process of updating my Classic 30...but stumbled across an amp I had to have!

I was on a mission for new strings. I had a jazz combo gig later that night and figured I'd give my 530 a good cleaning and string change beforehand. I went to GC and no luck with my brand (suprise suprise) so on a whim I decided to pull into Texas Music Emporium knowing it was a long shot. No luck on the strings, but sitting there was a Limited Edition Blues Jr sitting there. Ive seen the tweed, the relic'd tweed and the Texas Red...but here was a new animal I didnt even know existed.

British Green tolex, Celestion V30 in the box, white chicken head knobs, silver grille cloth and 15 watts of killer tone.

I grabbed a Godin 5th Ave so I could give it a p90 run thru, and this amp had the tone I've been hoping I can get from my c30. I haggled and walked after dropping 500 out the door.

Took it to the gig and my 530 never sounded better...warm, full, and plenty of headroom with the v30 and a JAN-Philips 5751 in v1 (first thing I did when I got home) Awesome amp for the $ and perfect for the groups I'm playing with right now.

Congrats on the new amp and good luck. I have a Blues Jr as well, good amp. Check out this site devoted to the Blues Jr: www.billmaudio.com/

Archived