Heritage Owners Club

H-170CM on the way from Germany

H

Hi,

I just bought an H-170CM with HRW's from a nice guy in Germany. Should be with me in a couple of days :D

I can't wait as it's my first HRW-loaded guitar and I've heard so many good things about them. She's a 2005 OSB with gold hardware and I'll probably change that out to TonePros at some point, having been very happy with the same swap-out on my 535.

Would Heritage be able to give me more info (e.g. how it was originally specified, etc) on this guitar if I supplied them with the serial number?

She's on youtube with her previous owner here

More pics when she arrives.

post-901-1274184615_thumb.jpg

H. Thats a nice one! Definitely a custom jobber, too. Trap inlays, speed knobs (could be after market), HRWs, gold hardware. Very classy. My favorite finish, too: OSB. Congrats on snagging such a fine looking guitar. As for Heritage being able to tell you the original specs - don't think they kept records like that. You can always ask, but don't hold your breath hoping for an indepth spec sheet. Just a guess from looking at the pics, but I think trap inlays, knobs, pickups and gold hardware are your custom specs. You might also look for a MoP inlay in the headstock vs decal. :D

Thanks :D I'm not normally one for gold hardware but it just looks right sitting on OSB...

She has some light nitro damage on the upper bass bout, right on the point of the horn and I got her at a great price because of that. It also helped that the Euro crashed against the Pound at the point of the deal too B) Just got to factor in a bit of 'nitro treatment' with my local luthier now. My 535 needs a little bit of TLC in that area too :/

Reading up on HRW's, it seems that they are often coil-tapped. Is Heritage's usual thing to do this via microswitches or push/pull pots?

Reading up on HRW's, it seems that they are often coil-tapped. Is Heritage's usual thing to do this via microswitches or push/pull pots?

On a custom guitar, you never know. They used to use mini-switches quite a bit. But as of late, not so much. You may just have to pull (gently) on the knobs and find out if the pups are tapped. :D

Congrats!!

What are HRW's?

HRWs are Heritages own proprietary pickup design. HRW = Heritage Ren Wall. Ren developed the mod to the Schallers that make up the HRW pickups. He used to do the mods himself right there in the shop. Current thought is that he has Schaller do the mods for him now. Ren is quite the mad inventor.

Congrats!!

What are HRW's?

Thank you :)

They're Schaller humbuckers specially wound to Ren Wall's specifications. General opinion is that they're a very special humbucker indeed :)

I'm sure there are many people on this forum who can go into some detail about them. Tell us all you know, people!! :)

I really like those 170's... a bit different but still with a classic look.

And the finish and pickup combination on that one, pretty much guarantees that you'll have one you'll be amazed with...

I'm sure there are many people on this forum who can go into some detail about them. Tell us all you know, people!!

Actually, there's not. Seriously--Ren keeps the details of the HRWs a closely guarded secret.

HRWs are Heritages own proprietary pickup design. HRW = Heritage Ren Wall. Ren developed the mod to the Schallers that make up the HRW pickups. He used to do the mods himself right there in the shop. Current thought is that he has Schaller do the mods for him now. Ren is quite the mad inventor.

Ahhh. Thanks!

That has got to be the best looking Heritage west of the Atlantic! If she sounds as good as she looks...

In what key is "Lucky Man?"

That has got to be the best looking Heritage west of the Atlantic! If she sounds as good as she looks...

I'm east of the Atlantic :D And I'm on the east coast of England. But I'm west of the East ;)

There's a Youtube link in my first post showing the previous owner playing some blues on her. Sounds pretty good to me :)

The parcel's at home at the moment, containing my new treasure and tonight, after new strings and a quick set-up, I'll play her through an AC30, a Bluesbreaker, a Hot Rod Deville, a Polytone Minibrute.... The joys of Guitar Rig 4!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've popped a TonePros bridge and tailpiece on now and done a full set-up and she looks and plays really well :D

Some new pics coming very soon: not great quality though. I'll get the good camera out this weekend and do some gallery shots :lol: I'm now getting GAS for an OSB H-535 for the matched set ;)

nice, nice guitar, and a fellow Brit as well - can't be bad. Do you mind telling us what it cost? For us brits on the forum keeping track of prices can be difficult due to availability.

nice, nice guitar, and a fellow Brit as well - can't be bad. Do you mind telling us what it cost? For us brits on the forum keeping track of prices can be difficult due to availability.

Thanks :rolleyes: I paid €999 for the whole deal (guitar, case, shipping with insurance). At that point the Euro/sterling rate made it £842. So take out about £50 for shipping and I got that beauty for about £790. What a deal!

That guitar with HRW's has to be a blast.... seems like it would be quite enjoyable... :rolleyes:

It's very nice - a lot less weight than the LP Classic I got rid of to buy it. Nice neck for playing and beautiful wood for looking at :) Still getting used to the HRWs, they get honky quite easily and the single tone control leaves me struggling at times. I still prefer the 535 with stock Schallers to be honest...

It's very nice - a lot less weight than the LP Classic I got rid of to buy it. Nice neck for playing and beautiful wood for looking at :this_thread_is_useless_without_ Still getting used to the HRWs, they get honky quite easily and the single tone control leaves me struggling at times. I still prefer the 535 with stock Schallers to be honest...

Interesting... can I ask what kind of music that you play...?

( or what kind of tone you aim for..)

Interesting... can I ask what kind of music that you play...?

( or what kind of tone you aim for..)

Blues-rock mainly, think Cream or early Led Zep. I love all that late 60's stuff :this_thread_is_useless_without_

The 170 does lovely clean tones but doesn't dirty up much. Maybe I need something like a TS-808 in front?

Have you used an HRW-equipped guitar?

Blues-rock mainly, think Cream or early Led Zep. I love all that late 60's stuff :this_thread_is_useless_without_

The 170 does lovely clean tones but doesn't dirty up much. Maybe I need something like a TS-808 in front?

Have you used an HRW-equipped guitar?

No, I haven't played an HRW axe. ... I was expecting them to be a bit hotter, I've heard some mention that. So it is surprising that it doesn't drive the front end of your amp more.

... but with any pickup that is different from the norm, there is a bit of dialing it in to do.

Do you think that there needs to be adjusted the pole pieces or height..? That makes a big difference in my experience with pickups..

Thanks :this_thread_is_useless_without_ I paid €999 for the whole deal (guitar, case, shipping with insurance). At that point the Euro/sterling rate made it £842. So take out about £50 for shipping and I got that beauty for about £790. What a deal!

I agree, totally stonking deal, well done and enjoy!

Hi,

I just bought an H-170CM with HRW's from a nice guy in Germany. Should be with me in a couple of days :this_thread_is_useless_without_

I can't wait as it's my first HRW-loaded guitar and I've heard so many good things about them. She's a 2005 OSB with gold hardware and I'll probably change that out to TonePros at some point, having been very happy with the same swap-out on my 535.

Would Heritage be able to give me more info (e.g. how it was originally specified, etc) on this guitar if I supplied them with the serial number?

She's on youtube with her previous owner here

More pics when she arrives.

post-901-1274184615_thumb.jpg

Just Gorgeous!! Congrats!!

Archived