Heritage Owners Club

HRW info please

Guest mgoetting

Guest mgoetting

How do the HRWs compare to the SD Seths? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each?

Thanks.

I've got'em both. To me it seems that the HRWs are a hotter pick up. More emphasis on power than tone. It's the opposite with the Seths. The emphasis on the SD Seths seems to be more on the tone . . . mellowness, than it is on the strength. Others may find it to be different.

Guest mgoetting

I heard a Golden Eagle with a HRW. It sounded surprisingly good.

The HRW on one of my Millis is not really loud than the Millis with Seths. Go figure.

I've got HRW pups in my Millie. While I don't have any experience with the Seth Lovers, I think the HRW pups are among the creamiest I've heard when played clean. It's not a heavy syropy tone. It's a more nasal sound that would be perfect for country, bluegrass and I think southern rock.

On the other hand, they're hot and will scream when you want to push an amp.

I think a lot folks expect a pickup to have one character or the other. In the case of the HRWs, they're great clean and dirty. Very versatile.

To me HRW's sound great in archtops, semis and solid body gits. The secret to maximizing their magic is to get the right pickup height for the instrument.

I like to get the p'up as low into the pickup surround as possible and raise or lower the individual screws for balance. This is especially helpful in archtops. There are many archtop players that raved about HRW's on the Heritage website when they were first introduced. Some guys sent their guitars back to the factory for an HRW retrofit.

HRW's can sound a bit HiFi, but that ain't a bad thing if you like tonal clarity and note to note definition without muddiness. Also, since they are potted, there's no microphonic squeal if overdriven in a semi or solid body instrument. That is my only complaint about the otherwise sweet toned Seths. The only guitar in my harem with Seths is a G&L Bluesboy and it sounds incredible. I'd like to try them in other gits, but most of my Heritages currently have HRW's that ain't going anywhere. ;)

Hope this helps.

Guest mgoetting
To me HRW's sound great in archtops, semis and solid body gits. The secret to maximizing their magic is to get the right pickup height for the instrument.

I like to get the p'up as low into the pickup surround as possible and raise or lower the individual screws for balance. This is especially helpful in archtops. There are many archtop players that raved about HRW's on the Heritage website when they were first introduced. Some guys sent their guitars back to the factory for an HRW retrofit.

HRW's can sound a bit HiFi, but that ain't a bad thing if you like tonal clarity and note to note definition without muddiness. Also, since they are potted, there's no microphonic squeal if overdriven in a semi or solid body instrument. That is my only complaint about the otherwise sweet toned Seths. The only guitar in my harem with Seths is a G&L Bluesboy and it sounds incredible. I'd like to try them in other gits, but most of my Heritages currently have HRW's that ain't going anywhere. ;)

Hope this helps.

I talked with a Heritage dealer today. I asked if his Sweet 16 had a HRW since the pic showed it was either a Schaller or a HRW. He got snooty and implied that an HRW would sound terrible on an archtop.

I talked with a Heritage dealer today. I asked if his Sweet 16 had a HRW since the pic showed it was either a Schaller or a HRW. He got snooty and implied that an HRW would sound terrible on an archtop.

HRW's on my maple top 575 give lovely clean tones through my Fender HR deluxe. My 535 has an SD jazz in the bridge which also sounds good. I don't feel the need to change pickups in either guitar.

HRW's like all pickups are a personal taste matter. One man's premium pickup is another's dog doo pickup.

Here's a link from Heritage, listing all instruments that come with their upgraded HRW pickups (for all snooty and uninformed dealers). ;)

Heritage Guitars Featuring HRWs

I have had at least 3 sets of HRws and 3 sets of Seths.

Seths are all about every nuance of tone.. neck pup is very wood and round... bridge can get a little thin & shrill but cut through the mix and wake up a solidbody.

HRWs are much hotter and very Hi-Fi sounding. I had one in my Sweet 16 and I think they sound incredible in Archtops.

I didn't like them in my 150s, and they were acceptable in my 555, but they really shine in archtops in my opinion.

So bottom line my .02... Vince Lewis, Kenny Burrell, Herny Johnson, Mimi Fox can't all be wrong with the HRWs in the Archtops.

Seths for all the other guitars (Semi-hollows & Solid bodies).

Like was said earlier, consult your own ear first.

I was in a guitar shop looking for my first electric guitar when I heard another patron playing a Millennium Ultra Std. with HRWs. It literally stopped me in my tracks.

Took about a week for me to convince myself to spend the $s on this "offbrand" semi-hollow.

Haven't looked back.

Guest mgoetting
Seths are not potted....HRWs are potted....huge differeence......i prefer the HRWs overall for rock and heavy rock

Heavy rock, pot. I see the link.

Seriously, what does potting do?

Guest mgoetting
could not have said it better!!

I play HiGain... seths are not very good in this spectrum.

Low gain, no pain.

I hear a certain brightness even at low gain. At least c/w Schallers on an archtop.

Archived