Heritage Owners Club

The heck with G.A.S.--I've got A.A.S.!

I saw this on my local Guitar Center's web site. It is used, but the description was "mint, with footswitch and all papers." Right--a mint, used amp at GC?

I so went to check it out yesterday--and brought it home! As a matter of fact, it IS mint! And all the original paperwork is with it! The only thing it doesn't have is the slipcover, but that's OK, as I probably wouldn't use it anyway.

It's a Mesa Lone Star Special. Two channels, with each channel independently capable of 30W - 15W - or 5W output. Each channel has its own reverb adjustment as well.

It has good cleans, and channel 2 can get that Marshally sound if needed. Hey--it was on sale!

IMG_0363.jpgIMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0364.jpgIMG_0371.jpg

Yet again! Wow! That amp has some great tones!

Seriously, and I'm not kidding, there is a potential problem with that amp that has spawned quite a few threads on the Mesa Boogie owner's forum, www.forum.grailtone.com, it seems that Mesa designed the amp to use a 5y3 rectifier and the modern production Mesa labeled (Sovtek) 5y3's kept blowing in it. That amp is solid state rectified in the 4 el84 30 watt settings, and vacuum tube rectifed in 2 tube 15 and 5 watt settings. The amount of current used through the 5y3 rec tube is right at max rating, aaaaand, the warranty is kaput if the user is found to have used non-mesa tubes in Mesa amps, any of 'em! B)

Solution? Well, Mesa has done up a slight change to that amp's circuit in the latest produced ones to help, also a bulletin has been issued to Mesa certified techs for factory warranty-backed adjustments to the circuit to deal with it. So if yours is an early production amp that is important to know.

What I have previously suggested, backed up by the more knowledgeable tube weenies on that forum is to either get a vintage military type old stock 5y3 or better yet, get a 5v4ga Sylvania black plate, RCA, or my fave, GE. 5v4 will put out very slightly more voltage to b+, and the current from one of those is sufficient to run 4, not just two el84's in a very hot, nearly class A bias setting, that's what I run in my Maverick, the LSS's daddy in the (no longer made) Mesa lineup. Using a 5ar4 will cause too much increase in B+ over 5y3. Never tried 5r4, but suspect too much B+ might happen with that selection.

Here's the hook: keep that 5y3 Mesa tube handy to stick in the amp if it needs servicing during warranty period, and also any Mesa pre and power tubes that came in it for the same reason.

Mesa will cover warranty if Groove Tubes el84's within the specific Mesa bias range are used. (think it's 5-7 on the GT scale) Personally, I think that you'll find that JJ el84's with the GT label (Czechoslovakian) will improve that amp's tones over Sovtek labeled Mesa stuff, more girth with still plenty of chime in the top end.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the long post.

Peace.

Thanks for the info--very informative!

I stop by the Boogie Board occasionally--I'll have to look deeper into this issue. Mine is a 2007 model; hopefully, it's one of the "later" models that have been taken care of already.

Thanks for the info--very informative!

I stop by the Boogie Board occasionally--I'll have to look deeper into this issue. Mine is a 2007 model; hopefully, it's one of the "later" models that have been taken care of already.

Toss a PI to Monsta-tone, he's a certified Mesa tech, and is a great guy. The Mesa forum members are nice to one another. Dunno if he has a Heritage yet, either! B)

Congratulations, nice buy. I also managed to pick up a second hand MESA in mint condition at my local cash converters. Mines the Express 5:50 2 by 12 also with the celestion Black Shadows. What I really like about these new mesas is the simplicity of controls compared to the old ones. I remember playing with a Mk III? and each knob had about 3 functions and if you bumped something it could take you hours to get your sound back.... Whereas these new ones have few knobs, 1 function per knob. Mine has identical controls for each channel... Very simple and easy to get a good sound. I've yet to find a guitar that sounds bad through it.

post-918-1280591552_thumb.jpg

Mines the Express 5:50 2 by 12

That's a nice one, Dan. I've had the Express series on my radar as well. And I know what you mean by the controls. I used to own a Dual Rec--I sold it because I found it too hard to dial in a tone I liked.

The Express and Lone Stars, as well as the new Electradyne and Transatlantic, seem MUCH simpler to operate.

How does it's weight compare to your Carr and your Swart? As I remember, the Mesa 1x12 is about 60 lb.

The amp does indeed weigh about 60 lbs (59 according to the Mesa website). Good thing they included removable casters!

The Carr weighs about 40, while the Swart weighs about 29.

Give us a tone report after you get into it.

Actually, I haven't played through it much since I got it home (same as my other amps). Doing too much around the house, as well as preparing for PSP III! I may bring it there as well, but I haven't decided yet.

Man... that is a lot of AAS...

And the ones that you picked promise to all be quite enjoyable to dial in.

I guess the Mesa will be the most versatile... but all will be fun to crank.

You should now be able to control your AAS for a while.

Man... that is a lot of AAS...

And the ones that you picked promise to all be quite enjoyable to dial in.

I guess the Mesa will be the most versatile... but all will be fun to crank.

You should now be able to control your AAS for a while.

Naaah, TAS is about to set in...that is the disease that the AAS is the gateway drug for... ;)

The heck with G.A.S.--I've got A.A.S.!, And I've got it bad!

I think I found a cure for A.A.S. it's called the Axe-Fx Ultra. Two weeks with this thing and I haven't even scratched the surface. I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another amp or efx pedal/unit.................EVER!

Archived