Heritage Owners Club

NGD- almost

Guest mgoetting

Guest mgoetting

I received a 1992 Roy Clark last night from Ebay. I had asked the seller this question and got this response:

Q: Dings, scratches, other cosmetic issues? Cracks or repairs? Neck straight? How is the action? Thanks. Jul-29-10

A: Morning mg, No dings or scratches has some hanger rash on side of neck is all, no cracks or repairs , neck, truss rod , pickups, pots , frets all in great condition , the neck set is great also with plenty of room , I have action set at 2 1/2/32 from top of fret @ 12th . 1 owner who custom ordered , home kept untill last week.

Please look at the headstock and post your comments. I value your input. The area of interest is at the seam of maple laminates above and to the left of the serial number. In real life a thumbnail fits in it.

Does the guitar match the description given? Does this finding affect resale value? Would you return the guitar?

BTW, I have a very high opinion of the Roy Clark model.

Thanks.

post-1723-1281455817_thumb.jpg

post-1723-1281455849_thumb.jpg

devils advocate here...

The neck joint on my 575 photographs like that but in real life it's smooth.

There may have been a miniscule amount of movement...enough to fracture the lacquer next to

the wood but not structural or even clear through the lacquer.

I guess only in-hand evaluation will do to make your decision.

Fingers crossed for lacquer only. If it is, a little wet sanding with 1200 grit and

polished back to gloss will take care of it.

Mark: Even if it is a crack . . . "it ain't goin' nowhere" How's the rest of the guitar? You're close enough to bring it down to the plant for a better evaluation. If you love the guitar, and you haven't cleared the release of payment with PayPal . . . contact the seller, send him the same pictures and negotiate a better price point and keep it. The better price point is crucial, because, yes, it will affect the resale value. If it's only a superficial thing . . . the repair is an easy one and will be undectectable. I can't see this possibly leading to any structural instability . . . . but I'd bring it to Jack French for his opinion, then hammer this a** hole who misled you for a better price.

Looks to be a crack to me, but hard to tell from the photo. Also looks like it should be an easy repair. If you're near the factory as someone else mentioned, get an official estimate for the repair and have the guy foot the bill to have it fixed or return it.

I have a Golden Eagle that was the Heritage NAMM show guitar in 2005. Where the neck in laminated, by the rear of the headstock, some lacquer worked its way intio the lamination, leaving a small depression and a little crack. I sent it back to heritage and they sanded, filled and re-sprayed the area. It held for a few months, then it came back again, this time with a hairline lacquer check following the lamination. This problem looks similar. If it's only lcquer sinking into the lamination, I wouldn't worry about it, but I'd still try to get a few bucks back.

The seller may give a bit of a refund. I hope so because this is really a nice axe.

Assertiveness . . . . in a tactful manner. Hopefully, you made it clear to him that you will not clear funds with Pay Pal unless he does extend a discount. In any event, if you really love the guitar, then keep it and don't sweat it. It's a relatively simple and inexpensive repair. Also, if you look at the length of the 2 pieces of wood glued together on that side of ther neck, I really don't see or understand how there could be a seam seperation. Also, if there is no visable damage of being hit on top of the head stock . . . I can't see how it could be a crack.?.?. The biggest issue for the repair would be avoiding the serial number . . . . and if the repair was done at the factory, there would be no issue with them sanding it down, filling the opening/crack . . . what ever it is, then restamping the same serial number on it . . . . spray it and buff it out. That's the long version of a full metal jacket repair. Jack would probably do it much simpler and equally effective.

Q: Dings, scratches, other cosmetic issues? Cracks or repairs?

A: No dings or scratches has some hanger rash on side of neck is all, no cracks or repairs ,

The picture does not agree with these statements. Particularly if it is open enough for a thumbnail to go in.

I don't see how it would be a structural issue , but would slightly affect resale value.

( IMO )

*Thumbnail fits in it*!!!

Whoa, I missed that....yeah I believe I'd be asking for a little $ back

after the guys look at it and determine if it's stable/fixable.

That was, for sure, not covered in the description.

Guest mgoetting

Well, you guys helped out quite a bit.

The seller is a guitar dealer in NJ. He has sold expensive guitars on Ebay only to have them returned for no good reason. He believes some people try out an instrument then change their mind. Meanwhile he has the hassle of shipping and the risks involved.

I sent him an email listing what was wrong with the guitar and that I wanted a substantial refund or for him to pay for shipping. He was not too excited about either choice and wanted me to pay for shipping back. We went back and forth.

I placed this post on the HOC and gave him the link. He told me he would look at the responses. After there were six, he reconsidered and offered to pay for return shipping.

I really do like this guitar a lot. And I'll give you a full review when things settle down. So we worked toward some settlement that was mutually acceptable.

Your replies were very helpful. He could clearly see that whether this was a serious crack or not, it would turn off most potential buyers. He therefore should either discount it or pay for shipping.

I don't believe there is a serious structural problem. It looks like there's a shifting in the neck laminates without any signs of trauma. My guess is that this is temperature and humidity related. I won't get it repaired unless I intend on selling it.

The guy seems like a decent person who has been burned and scammed on Ebay. Working this out with him was a good life experience for me. Plus both he and I learned quite a bit about Ebay and PayPal.

Anyway, thanks.

Well, you guys helped out quite a bit.

The seller is a guitar dealer in NJ. He has sold expensive guitars on Ebay only to have them returned for no good reason. He believes some people try out an instrument then change their mind. Meanwhile he has the hassle of shipping and the risks involved.

I sent him an email listing what was wrong with the guitar and that I wanted a substantial refund or for him to pay for shipping. He was not too excited about either choice and wanted me to pay for shipping back. We went back and forth.

I placed this post on the HOC and gave him the link. He told me he would look at the responses. After there were six, he reconsidered and offered to pay for return shipping.

I really do like this guitar a lot. And I'll give you a full review when things settle down. So we worked toward some settlement that was mutually acceptable.

Your replies were very helpful. He could clearly see that whether this was a serious crack or not, it would turn off most potential buyers. He therefore should either discount it or pay for shipping.

I don't believe there is a serious structural problem. It looks like there's a shifting in the neck laminates without any signs of trauma. My guess is that this is temperature and humidity related. I won't get it repaired unless I intend on selling it.

The guy seems like a decent person who has been burned and scammed on Ebay. Working this out with him was a good life experience for me. Plus both he and I learned quite a bit about Ebay and PayPal.

Anyway, thanks.

Who is the dealer in NJ? Is it 9 South Guitars?

I love the way they sandwich 7 pieces of wood and make a neck... Really nice flaming there too..

The crack does not seem a trauma crack, its position leads me to think that 2 different pieces of wood have shifted or shrank in different directions.... The mark would not trouble me but I would definitely not want it there either. Weigh your choices and make your decision.

This reminds me of when squaken bought a white whale, brought up a similar discussion here concerning a neck heel joint hairline crack.... eventually returned it. The Census there was that white finishes to weird stuff, totally not related just wanted to share a memory.

Back to business... I am sure they would not want the guitar back, they should be resonable to work with.. talk to a good tech, Nitro is able to be touched up (time consuming to work with)... I bet you will find it to be a minor inconvenience for a special guitar!

My opinion... Its not worth a "substantial discount."

A little personal story... bought a Millie Eagle 2000 w/HRW's(someones prized player), I wish it didnt have play marks... I wouldn't let here go for anything!! The marks bother me.. I wouldn't let her go!!! Brent can confirm that she's a beauty, he has had his hands on her!!

Good Luck Mark!! I am sure everything will work out, thanks for listening to my stories!

Yes.

Partick, Is 9 south located in the Howell area on Rt 9 South? There is a amp repair shop and a vintage/used guitar shop (same guy that had the shop in Lakehurst I believe) that shares a building with Raritan Guitar repair.

Partick, Is 9 south located in the Howell area on Rt 9 South? There is a amp repair shop and a vintage/used guitar shop (same guy that had the shop in Lakehurst I believe) that shares a building with Raritan Guitar repair.

They're a little further south than Howell. They had a pretty big booth at this year's Philadelphia Guitar Show in King of Prussia (Philly area) PA. I had a pretty long chat with them. Nice guys. Hey Pete, I'm gonna contact you by PM or phone. We gotta get together and play some jazz man!!

(Sorry for the brief hijack of this thread . . . . we'll take it off line from here)

Guest mgoetting

Let me end the story here.

The guy was decent about the situation. This was my "accidental" buy. The BIN was $1500. The auction was still young. I put an exploratory "best offer" (ala Brent) of $1300 expecting a counteroffer. He accepted it so I paid.

We resolved this by him giving me a $300 refund.

The guitar is completely stable IMO. These are lacquer cracks with possibly a little shift in the neck laminates.

All is well. In fact I may be getting this very oddball, I mean VERY weird, Heritage from him tomorrow. I'll post it if it happens.

Guest mgoetting

Followup:

All is well with the Roy Clark. I played it several hours last night. Great!

The seller turns out to be a very decent guy I've got to know much better. He brokered the deal for the thin Super Eagle discussed in another post. He only facilitated the transaction, took care of shipping and was paid whatever the owner would pay him. Fair enough.

Today he shipped the guitar. But before that he dressed the frets, put new strings on it and set it up. I never asked him to do that and was surprised to find that out.

His name is Bob. Here's his site:

http://www.9southguitars.com/

I have had a positive experience with him.

Never waste an opportunity for a kind word.

Archived