Heritage Owners Club

poll about strap button placement

big bob

I vote for the Gibby style on the horn.

My Hamers have it there, and I feel that position works much better than where it is on the SG (like on your first pic).

I vote at the heel of the neck. There is less chance of something going wrong there, though this will put the fingerboard ever-so-slightly away from the center of your body. At first I was going to vote at the tip, but there isn't much meat there and the base of the lug wouldn't sit square on the surface.

I vote at the heel of the neck. There is less chance of something going wrong there, though this will put the fingerboard ever-so-slightly away from the center of your body. At first I was going to vote at the tip, but there isn't much meat there and the base of the lug wouldn't sit square on the surface.

What about the grestch style?

Guest mgoetting
I vote for the Gibby style on the horn.

My Hamers have it there, and I feel that position works much better than where it is on the SG (like on your first pic).

How could someone be so wrong?

The back!!!

How about somewhere between the Gibby and the Gretsch position? The Gibby looks like it's aimed up, whereas the Gretssh looks like the strap will rub the horn. Why not straight out, or angled down just slightly?

could work, keep um coming..

I prefer mine on the back, ala SG or 535 style. It took some getting used to, as the guitar seems to "fall away" from you, and I was always afraid it was going to fall off the strap and shatter the headstock!! Enter Straplocks, now I flail the dang thing around, and learn the nuances of the heel strap button.

P.S. That guitar is just SICK!!

Sir BB - I would vote for the back (example #1) It's rather easy to acclimate to this position and rests the weight mostly on the top of your shoulder rather than further back as the horn positions do.

Heavens, try them all. You know how to fill in afterwords!

I've gotta go with the horn...I have a couple gtrs with the back style & they are very annoying in comparison...strap gets in the way when I'm accessing high frets too

horn is more comfortable for me & the gtr hangs more naturally

*edit* however on your gtr the gretsch style might be best

It depends on the guitar. For a strat, the horn is the only place. The 535 & 555 have got to be the back, you could never put the button on an SG anywhere else.

I some times wonder about the position of the 150/les paul style button though, I can not imagine playing a les paul without strap locks.

+2

I vote for the horn as well, but I have another slightly related question..I want to put straplocks on my 535..Will it in any way hurt the guitar to install them on it..The bottom strap button is in the usual spot,but the top one is in the back as shown on the original pic on this thread..Am I ok to put straplocks there? Thanks Scott..

I agree with hollow body on the back and solid body on the horn.

I also had the same question as smurph about using a locking strap on a 535 or 555 style guitar. I guess I am worried about the metal lock on the strap rubbing on the wood around the strap button. Has anyone used a locking strap on a 535/555 style guitar?

Well . . . now, I would recommend putting the button where it doesnt affect your menstraul cramps. ; D

(sorry Bob, you're not gonna live this down) .

Archived