Heritage Owners Club

help out a new guy

big bob

How would I go about using a microphone with an acoustic guitar, ie what equipment. Do you use a guitar amp with a mic? or a pa? or what.

I am totally clueless on this please help!

Not sure how much help this will be... but I've played through a Shure 57 dynamic mic hooked up to a guitar amp via a transformer/XLR-1/4" adapter, I was playing through an old silvertone and had halfway decent results

Ideally I think you'd want to play through an acoustic amp (even if just playing through a microphone), but of course I'm sure a PA would really be the ideal route.

I'm not really a subject matter expert on this topic, just throwing my 1.5 cent's worth out there

Ideally I think you'd want to play through an acoustic amp (even if just playing through a microphone), but of course I'm sure a PA would really be the ideal route

I agree ...

Assuming that you want to amplify the acoustic and it has a piezo...

Basically , an acoustic amp ( or a Keyboard amp ) is a small PA.

But , there tends to be bargains on the local craigslist and music stores on PA stuff alot nowadays.

Kind of depends on how loud you want to get in what size room.

I agree ...

Assuming that you want to amplify the acoustic and it has a piezo...

Basically , an acoustic amp ( or a Keyboard amp ) is a small PA.

But , there tends to be bargains on the local craigslist and music stores on PA stuff alot nowadays.

Kind of depends on how loud you want to get in what size room.

Fred No pickup NONE. think acoustic L-50

How would you mic it. through an amp or a pa.

straight through? other

in any event no pickup, just a mic.

Fred No pickup NONE. think acoustic L-50

How would you mic it. through an amp or a pa.

straight through? other

in any event no pickup, just a mic.

In my example, I just had the mic hooked into the amp, and the mic on a stand aimed at the sound hole about maybe 6 inches or so away. For guitar amp you'll need an adapter/ transformer - they're only about $15-$20'ish. Otherwise with a acoustic amp or pa you would connect the mic directly via xlr input

In my example, I just had the mic hooked into the amp, and the mic on a stand aimed at the sound hole about maybe 6 inches or so away. For guitar amp you'll need an adapter/ transformer - they're only about $15-$20'ish. Otherwise with a acoustic amp or pa you would connect the mic directly via xlr input

any preamp or buffer needed?

I personally Hate piezo pickups..YMMV..Last acoustic gig I did we just mic'd em, ran em through the board, added a little reverb, and voila! It sounded great! We had the advantage however of not using a drummer, so feedback was not an issue..My 2 cents..

I agree I hate the sound of piezo & takamine pickups...they sound SO much better with a real mic

*edit* a rode NT4 is a great mic for recording, and you could probably use it live too

but you can't go wrong with an SM58

Archived