Heritage Owners Club

check your f holes

Guest mgoetting

Guest mgoetting
As a side bar, I would like to see some pics of the unfinished F holes in question.

Thanks

Here's an example. I only have two naked f holed guitars. (Yeah, I know how it sounds.) One of them is fine.

This one is a laminate that is beautifully done otherwise.

I'm not claiming this is a defect. I'm just saying I see it from time to time.

I appreciate the explanations. I wouldn't want overspray, for sure.

post-1723-1283899972_thumb.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's an example. I only have two naked f holed guitars. (Yeah, I know how it sounds.) One of them is fine.

Mark:

That's more than just a bald spot from the spray booth. You got some shit growing in there!! You seem to have some issues with the laminate . . . . possible the bonding agent (glue). You're close enough to the plant that you should have them look at that. Also, double check the humidity level in your home.

Guest mgoetting
Mark:

That's more than just a bald spot from the spray booth. You got some shit growing in there!! You seem to have some issues with the laminate . . . . possible the bonding agent (glue). You're close enough to the plant that you should have them look at that. Also, double check the humidity level in your home.

You mean Brent's home!

I saw the same thing on a 535 and a Millie earlier this year. They all arrived at my home like that. I don't think it's humidity.

This is what Ren asked whether it bothered me.

It doesn't bother me enough to bring it in to Heritage. It's not that big of a deal.

My point is that this is cannot be that rare for me to see it three times in a year.

I agree with Patrick on this one.

None of my F holes look like that.

I would try some water and then some guitar polish to clean those. But rub gently.

Honestly, first I thought when I saw the pic was that those F holes need cleaned.

OR it could just be residual polish left by a polishing gone bad.

Guest mgoetting
I agree with Patrick on this one.

None of my F holes look like that.

I would try some water and then some guitar polish to clean those. But rub gently.

Honestly, first I thought when I saw the pic was that those F holes need cleaned.

OR it could just be residual polish left by a polishing gone bad.

Hmm... So it does bother you.

As a non-luthier it looks to me like it needs some sanding, staining and lacquer. Is it really worth that trouble? I'm not sure.

Maybe someday I'll bring it in to Heritage and whine to anyone who will listen. Even if Heritage offered to address it, I don't know that I want to lose access to the guitar for a couple of weeks. This is currently my favorite axe.

Guest mgoetting
Stew-Mac has some brush-on varnish, if you wish to touch up those naked f-holes. It's a bit pricey, though ($15.25/pint). I've used it, and it works OK for what I needed it for.

Stew-Mac Brushing Varnish

Well, I'd end up making a mistake and having to convert the guitar to a gold top.

Honestly Mark . . . . that looks like some nasty shit on there. Either that, or some fool stashed his blow in there and it stuck to the wood as he took it out. Scrape it off, roll up a Franklin and snort it up... see what happens. But, more seriously, it could be some natural salt bleed off from the wood. You may want to get that shit off of there. Also, it appears that the wood is in fact stained under that white stuff.

Honestly Mark . . . . that looks like some nasty shit on there. Either that, or some fool stashed his blow in there and it stuck to the wood as he took it out. Scrape it off, roll up a Franklin and snort it up... see what happens. But, more seriously, it could be some natural salt bleed off from the wood. You may want to get that shit off of there. Also, it appears that the wood is in fact stained under that white stuff.

That looks definitely like post-factory crud.

So no one else has seen this before?

I can run it by Heritage and get their take on this.

I'll post the results.

Mark, just for our own edification, it might be nice if you did run that by the boys. I'm thinking that is not what Ren was thinking you were talking about. Bet its rubbing/buffing compound.

Patrick --- wood salt?

Like Patrick said, or, take a bath and wash those nasty arms once and a while...... :D

Mark, just for our own edification, it might be nice if you did run that by the boys. I'm thinking that is not what Ren was thinking you were talking about. Bet its rubbing/buffing compound.

Patrick --- wood salt?

Yeah . . . . I've seen it before in other instances. Although the wood was much thicker and still moist. One such instance is the deck in my yard. Every year, I power wash and reapply a transluscent stain. About 2 weeks after the reapplication of the stain, I get this white stuff that comes up to the surface . .. always in the same spots. Looks just like that "stuff" on Mark's guitar. I had a factory guy from the stain company visit me to assess the situation. He's the one who told me of the natural salt possibility. While that might not be the case in this situation, it does appear that something is seeping from the laminate. I think that guitar has been around too long for that to be buffing compound.

Guest mgoetting

If I sand it, the f holes will be unfinished.

I'll bring it to Heritage and see what they suggest.

Really, it's not a huge deal.

I'm glad I put the pic up so as not to look picky. (There's a sentence one could meditate on all day.)

Guest mgoetting

Well, I scraped part of it with my pick. It comes off.

Must be buffing compound.

What can I use to take the rest off without damaging the finish?

Yes, this is ironic. I started this thread saying there's no finish in the f holes. Now I'm asking for help to protect that missing finish.

Life is filled with curve balls.

Guest mgoetting

I emailed Vince with a photo of the crud. I await his suggestions.

BTW, I don't fault Heritage for buffing compound in the f holes any more than sawdust in a Gibson case. No harm, no foul. These things happen in any factory.

Fred - what a stunningly beautiful guitar you have there.

Fred, that is one fine F-hole you have there.

Mark

I guess I'm lucky..My 535 looks fine..The sidewalls of the F-holes are a bit lighter than the top, but i don't have any "funk" going on there..Except people tend to make funky faces when I play.. :D

On a personal level, I do not believe that level of finish is satisfactory for what is supposed to be a high quality instrument.

Archived