Heritage Owners Club

Red Plate amps

pegleg32

hey, Don, did you see Kid Andersen using one on the cruise? i know he's got a couple...(Elvin, too)

Yep, Kid and Elvin, Wayne Baker Brooks, Tommy Castro, seemed like the whole boat was using them, and they all sounded wowzer. Really cought my eye and interest. Have been doing a little research since and my interest is rising.

Yes, I had a 5 watt Bugera which I ran through a 15" eminance speaker. I gave it away. It did have one tone that I liked but that was the extent of it. I replaced it with a 5 watt Laney 5LT-112 that I'm much happier with.

Yes, I had a 5 watt Bugera which I ran through a 15" eminance speaker. I gave it away. It did have one tone that I liked but that was the extent of it. I replaced it with a 5 watt Laney 5LT-112 that I'm much happier with.

Now I did have a friend who bought one those amps and hated it. But he thinks the V22 sounds pretty good. But now he makes his own vintage style amps. He's got a few threads out there, KBP810.

Now I did have a friend who bought one those amps and hated it. But he thinks the V22 sounds pretty good. But now he makes his own vintage style amps. He's got a few threads out there, KBP810.

Well, I'm not sure if that really qualifies me to speak on behalf of tonal goodness :unsure:

...but I did in fact once have the dis-pleasure of owning a V5, and like Pegleg, I gave it away.

That V22 of yours didn't sound half bad... much better then the V5... and sure, I'd agree there are many better sounding amps out there, but considering the price and circumstance in which you obtained it, I'm not sure if there was anything else that would have fit what you were looking for unless you went SS (or added a lot more cash into the deal). In the end the only thing that matters is if you like it and it fits your needs... if you like it now, and it sounds good to you now, and it doesn't clunk out on you, then I'd say it's a decent amp, for you, and at least for now. If you decide later you needed something "bigger and better", well then which one of us hasn't down that road at some point? (regardless of what amp we started with, be it from the low or high end of the amp spectrum)

Well, I'm not sure if that really qualifies me to speak on behalf of tonal goodness :unsure:

...but I did in fact once have the dis-pleasure of owning a V5, and like Pegleg, I gave it away.

That V22 of yours didn't sound half bad... much better then the V5... and sure, I'd agree there are many better sounding amps out there, but considering the price and circumstance in which you obtained it, I'm not sure if there was anything else that would have fit what you were looking for unless you went SS (or added a lot more cash into the deal). In the end the only thing that matters is if you like it and it fits your needs... if you like it now, and it sounds good to you now, and it doesn't clunk out on you, then I'd say it's a decent amp, for you, and at least for now. If you decide later you needed something "bigger and better", well then which one of us hasn't down that road at some point? (regardless of what amp we started with, be it from the low or high end of the amp spectrum)

Even professionals needs something better or better. So I'll just be like them and keep adding to the collection (of 1) !

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, Kid and Elvin, Wayne Baker Brooks, Tommy Castro, seemed like the whole boat was using them, and they all sounded wowzer. Really cought my eye and interest. Have been doing a little research since and my interest is rising.

so, i went over to Kid's last week to pick up a guitar & we chatted briefly about his Red Plates. the little Tweedy verb gets him through most gigs (it can get pretty loud). the Anderon 800 head + cab are for bigger venues. he's been using Red Plate for "a couple years now" & likes 'em.

my kinda guy: living room, kitchen - gear everywhere B)

Archived