Heritage Owners Club

Your opinions wanted...best new EL-34 amp <$2K

dmedlock

Trying to decide on what my next amp is going to be, right now all I have figured out is that it's going to be EL-34 powered.

In your opinion, what is the best new EL-34 powered head for less than $2K? Leaning towards the Marshall JVM205 or Mesa Stiletto Ace, but would love to hear some other suggestions, thanks!

Depends on what type of sound you are trying to grok. Riveras can give you a fairly wide palette and cover several bases.

Should mention that I'm also looking at/considering the Rivera Clubster Royale head...I will try to find one locally to play.

I do not want and/or need anything "super-high gain"...and I INSIST that my new amp NOT be "fizzy" or "buzzy" (for lack of better words)...basically I'm looking for an amp that has a nice "thick and/or fat" tone...no more "shrill-sounding" amps for me, thanks. Oh, and "pristine cleans" are not a requirement.

I found the next amp to add to my stable by going to youtube...I searched the brand and model, then listened to a variety of clips. Not perfect but I got a decent idea. Then I placed my order with a boutique builder called Ceriatone. They do up a wide variety of amps and amp kits that are huge value for the money, and resale value percentage of new price is also very good. The build quality for the money and quality of components is outstanding. So is the quality of communication. www.ceriatone.com They have good rep in the HC user reviews.

If you were considering the Mesa Stiletto I would recommend putting a bias kit in it. I have heard/experienced the difference this can make.

All of us at work own Mesa's or multiple Mesa's and we have all recently put bias kits in them.

The Stiletto responded the best or most noticeably to being biased hotter than the very cold factory spec. It opens the amp right up and seems to my ears remove the fizz that unbiased, cant be dialed out. Im not sure, but I think cold biasing introduces distortion. Some one here correct me if Im wrong.

We put a bias kit in a Mesa Road King(6l6's and EL34's) today and the 3rd and 4th channels started sounding like something I would consider using where as before I wasnt so taken with them. But again the EL34's seemed to benefit more by the biasing than the 6L6s.

My Lone Star after the bias just sounds and feels more open.

Just saying if you are not immediately taken by the Stiletto there is a way to open it up. Lots of info over at the Boogie Board and worth reading.

From The Gear Page...

Bogner Shiva Combo with reverb $1600 plus shipping (you might even be able to talk him under $1500).

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=802359

I just realized you wanted a head and not a combo.

Keep looking for a used head, it should be same or less price than this combo.

There's a HOC member who makes custom amps, any tube type you want. Plus he uses premium solid woods. Look up KBP810. He's got a bunch of threads on his builds.

Initially I was ready to concur with Kuz; the Bogner is an excellent amp. Then I realized that Bad Cat, Matchless and a whole slew of amps exist that may trade the Shiva's clean for a little better gain channel and thought I'd lay back in waiting for an explanation of what you're looking to achieve. All things considered, I have to agree with DetroitBlues, try talking with KBP810.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you were considering the Mesa Stiletto I would recommend putting a bias kit in it. I have heard/experienced the difference this can make.

All of us at work own Mesa's or multiple Mesa's and we have all recently put bias kits in them.

The Stiletto responded the best or most noticeably to being biased hotter than the very cold factory spec. It opens the amp right up and seems to my ears remove the fizz that unbiased, cant be dialed out. Im not sure, but I think cold biasing introduces distortion. Some one here correct me if Im wrong.

We put a bias kit in a Mesa Road King(6l6's and EL34's) today and the 3rd and 4th channels started sounding like something I would consider using where as before I wasnt so taken with them. But again the EL34's seemed to benefit more by the biasing than the 6L6s.

My Lone Star after the bias just sounds and feels more open.

Just saying if you are not immediately taken by the Stiletto there is a way to open it up. Lots of info over at the Boogie Board and worth reading.

Tully, IMHO you are right on about the improvement in tone in Mesa amps after installing a bias kit. And the folks on the Boogie board tend to be pretty nice like here.

One thing that may be important is that Mesa will void your warranty for either using non-Mesa tubes unless they come from a Mesa approved supplier or installing one of those bias kits. And yes, excessively cold bias can cause what is called crossover distortion, and the tone produced is not especially musical or pretty. I like my Mesa better after having my tech install a custom bias mod in it. It sounds wonderful now, and it sounded very nice before as well.

Marshall Class 5. $395.00. All tube, 5 watts, Volume, Bass, Mid & Treble controls. Made in the UK. For a home/studio amp with a real vintage Marshall tone, I say get the real thing. Read the reviews, there are tons and most are great reviews. Not much out there for $395.00. Try it and if you don't like it, GC, Sweetwater, Musician's Friend and so on will take it back. Not a big risk there. I think you will find that there is always something better if you are willing to pay more. I don't know how many sound $1,700.00-$2,500.00 better. For the high-end boutique amp builders/owners out there, I'm sure yours is better and I'm sure you got your monies worth. I'm just saying, if you don't have that kind of money, its a good choice.

Archived