Heritage Owners Club

Brentrocks wins over Scuba200Ft

Spectrum13

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, why doesnt someone explain to me why this guitar would sit out there all day at $1300 shipped.....It can't be because its lackng flames...We've all got piles of flamey guitars. This one has THAT old look.

Why would it take so long to sell at that price?

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=812388

Are you joking or is that a serious question?

Ok, why doesnt someone explain to me why this guitar would sit out there all day at $1300 shipped.....It can't be because its lackng flames...We've all got piles of flamey guitars. This one has THAT old look.

While it looks good and I do need a VSB, I would not buy it because it is hollow and like many, I like/need/prefer heavy guitars.

The mineral streaking might also be a factor if I was at that point in my decision making where minor flaws could outweigh real economics and passionate greed. If you already have many similar, the market is saturated with a particular finish/style, then options can change.

Hey, I think Im starting to figure you guys out!

Tully: I've read many of your posts. You're not an unintelligent guy. Therefore, if you are starting to figure us out, as you say, we can't really blame that on your lack of intelligence. So, we can only assume . . . if you understand us . . . . you're NUTS!!!! No other explanation is acceptable.

What do you mean?

My question is, why did it take this guy so long to sell this? Isnt this a great price?

I asked because a day turnaround seems pretty good. I don't see that as very long at all. Is it a great price? For what it was, I'd say it's a very good price. I'd love it, but I'm not in the market for an H-150 at the moment. I didn't buy an H-535 on there for $1350 (I believe that was w/ shipping) because I had my eye on another Heritage. Why that one didn't get bought outright in a matter of moments is beyond me.

However, why it took "so long" to sell? Maybe the economy. Maybe the fact it was a LW (some people equate heavier guitars with more or better tone). Maybe the buyer and seller took that long to PM back & forth and settle on the specifics. Maybe because people have in their mindset the H-150 they saw on eBay that went for a couple hundred cheaper. Maybe the holiday season and more people are a bit reluctant to buy a guitar for themselves (and how many buy $1300 used guitars for others?). Maybe the seller was away from the computer for most of the rest of the day. Maybe it sold right away and he didn't get to posting its sold status until today. Maybe Gibsons are going for close enough these days where, given most think of Gibson as a more legit option all things considered equal that they just thought for a couple hundred more why not get a Gibson.

In reality, that is a really great price for a nice, extremely vintage looking guitar. I can't say that I thought that was much of a lengthy turn around time at all, particularly with the economy, holiday season funneling funds elsewhere, and who knows what other factors that might be at play (e.g. people being at work when it was posted, etc., etc.). To me, it sold really fast and had a lot of interest including one guy who would've bought it (in his words) if he hadn't JUST bought another one.

What do you mean?

My question is, why did it take this guy so long to sell this? Isnt this a great price?

Scuba . . . .I look almost daily . . . much to my dismay . . . at the ebay listing for R6s & R9s. There are MANY at ridiculously low prices that take forever to sell. There are pristine, brand new R6s showing for $2,800 and not selling. Why is that? Because they suck? Because they're not salable? Of course not! Isn't that a great price? I bought my brand new R6 for considerably under $3,000. Why is that? Because R6s suck? Of course not! My R6 just might be the best Les Paul or Les Paul type guitar I've ever played . . . . and I've played a few.

There is no doubt that the lack of brand identity will make it more difficult to move a Heritage. That doesn't mean it's an inferior guitar. Ya know what you need? You need an intervention! Your passion is ringing through loud and clear. You just haven't made the journey to "Mecca" yet. You need a trip to Parsons Street. You need a one on one sit down with Marv, Jim, Bill , Vince. You need a one on one conversation with Katy, Charlie, Ray . . . the whole crew. We recognize the short comings of Heritage and we forgive them that. We do so because of who they are, because of where they have come from and because they share our passion. Can you sit down for a one on one with Henry J.??? Stick around for a while. You'll discover who and what we are. If you are lucky enough to do so, you might join us at our next Parsons Street Pilgrimage. Then you'll really understand why we are so passionate about the brand and the people.

Wow... a whole day! :unsure:

Its too bad that I'm not in a guitar buying mood right now. That's pretty close to what I would go for in a 150. I can't stand with my 157 for any length of time... having an old back SUCKS! I've thought about getting a 150LW but right now my Milli and 140 are filling that niche pretty well.

Instead, I'm looking around for that unbeatable amp deal. If only I could figure out what I want. Too many choices and not enough time to try them all out.

I'm happy with the bridge on the 175. I did replace the bridges on the 575 and 576 with tune-o-matics though. The 575 got an ebony bridge base, and the 576 got a Schaller fine-tune tailpiece. The 575 has Gibson 57 pups, and the 576 has a Seth at the bridge and a Duncan jazz at the neck. Both the Gibson guitars are stock; the 175 is the Steve Howe model.

Ya know . . . Only God knows how many guitars I have owned in the last 35 years. Even he may be uncertain about that. However, I've never owned a Gibson ES175. There was a beautiful one hanging up on the wall at a shop in NJ called "Sweetest Sounds". I wanted to buy it. The shop owner . . . Eddie Cadillac . . his real name . . . talked me into ordering a new Heritage Golden Eagle instead. That was in 1994. I don't regret buying that guitar. I still have it and love it to death. But, I regret not buying that 175. Chicago Music Exchange has 2 of the most beautiful 175s I've ever seen hanging on their wall right now. OH boy!!!! Here we go again. Chicago is a long way from NJ.

Ya know . . . Only God knows how many guitars I have owned in the last 35 years. Even he may be uncertain about that. However, I've never owned a Gibson ES175. There was a beautiful one hanging up on the wall at a shop in NJ called "Sweetest Sounds". I wanted to buy it. The shop owner . . . Eddie Cadillac . . his real name . . . talked me into ordering a new Heritage Golden Eagle instead. That was in 1994. I don't regret buying that guitar. I still have it and love it to death. But, I regret not buying that 175. Chicago Music Exchange has 2 of the most beautiful 175s I've ever seen hanging on their wall right now. OH boy!!!! Here we go again. Chicago is a long way from NJ.

I had a 1963 ES-175 in natural that I bought in 1977 for $500. I sold it in the early 80s when I was in grad school, for not much more than that. This recent-issue 175 seems like a better guitar to me, though my memory may be flawed. The 575 is also a great guitar, but a 175 and 575 are more different than I might have expected. I think one of the secrets of the 175 sound, especially for jazz, is the placement of the neck pickup: that pickup does not sit at the base of the fingerboard and is closer to the bridge than on most other guitars. BTW, there's been a Steve Howe 175 sitting on the Acoustic Guitar Forum for weeks now.

Good lord you guys are defensive......

I called to buy it, and he had one buyer. So I told him to make me the backup.

I wasnt really asking why it didnt sell so quickly, I was simply asking if everyone thought it was a good deal, or was it due to the fact that its a lightweight.

Unlike this one.....

IMG_4542.jpg

A: JohnCovach, if you found the way I posted to be aggressive, I suspect your idea of aggressive music from your normal Peter Paul and Mary would be a hell bent evening with Muskrat love.

B: Seeing as you would find it so easy to go back and find my posts that are "angry" ( I cant remember the last time I was angry about anything), and dismissive (In order to be dismissive, I would need someone to actually approach me), I look forward to your assessment.

C: ... If you are better then me...

Mr Scuba:

I'm so weary of all of this drivel, I'm going to join in, for a change....

People's Exhibit (A): This suspicion is, in actual fact, so groundless and unknowing, the only appropriate response is to bray, like a mule. I love your unwitting excursion into The Ironic! If you only knew....

People's Exhibit (B): Certainly no more "angry" than...subjective, or defensive/aggressive, or, if you choose, both. To paraphrase The Bard: The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks.

People's Exhibit ©: Certainly, grammatically.

That having been said, here's yet another unfortunate, mobius thread. The dinner dishes await....

I wasnt really asking why it didnt sell so quickly, I was simply asking if everyone thought it was a good deal, or was it due to the fact that its a lightweight.

Unlike this one.....

IMG_4542.jpg

There was one just like that in a local music store a few years back. Mid 70's I believe. Came in at a svelte 13 pounds.

Don't really recall seeing those words in your post... I must have missed something.

dunno why it didn't sell quickly. i do think it's a great-looking deal. but me, i gotta hold & play 'em first (or have an ironclad return agreement on it, if it doesn't pan out)

Norlin-era guits are *way* hit-or-miss with very few hits in my experience. i got an xlnt-condition '78 LPC 'baccy burst once - *really* cheap. suspiciously cheap. it was *okay*, but just. y'know?

Mr Scuba:

I'm so weary of all of this drivel, I'm going to join in, for a change....

People's Exhibit (A): This suspicion is, in actual fact, so groundless and unknowing, the only appropriate response is to bray, like a mule. I love your unwitting excursion into The Ironic! If you only knew....

People's Exhibit (B): Certainly no more "angry" than...subjective, or defensive/aggressive, or, if you choose, both. To paraphrase The Bard: The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks.

People's Exhibit ©: Certainly, grammatically.

That having been said, here's yet another unfortunate, mobius thread. The dinner dishes await....

God damn it Rob . . . I couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, I couldn't have even said it at all!! Mostly because I don't even have the vaguest clue of what the hell you said. Mobious??? That one will haunt me forever. I won't even offend my Dan'l Webster by looking for that one. However, I'm going to agree with you anyway, just in case you're right. I'm going to reach way far back to "Muggsey McGuiness" just in case you are using some of his verbosity. At this point . . . . I put nothing past you.

God damn it Rob . . . I couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, I couldn't have even said it at all!! Mostly because I don't even have the vaguest clue of what the hell you said. Mobious??? That one will haunt me forever. I won't even offend my Dan'l Webster by looking for that one. However, I'm going to agree with you anyway, just in case you're right. I'm going to reach way far back to "Muggsey McGuiness" just in case you are using some of his verbosity. At this point . . . . I put nothing past you.

M%C3%B6bius_strip.jpg

find a starting point & imagine yourself walking it...

xlnt metaphor

B)

Guest HRB853370

Wow... a whole day! :unsure:

Its too bad that I'm not in a guitar buying mood right now. That's pretty close to what I would go for in a 150. I can't stand with my 157 for any length of time... having an old back SUCKS! I've thought about getting a 150LW but right now my Milli and 140 are filling that niche pretty well.

Instead, I'm looking around for that unbeatable amp deal. If only I could figure out what I want. Too many choices and not enough time to try them all out.

I think I found mine Talisman. Go to the amplification forum and search for my latest thread there, killer deal!

Sorry, I was confused by this line:

I think a one-day turn around is ludicrously fast, especially for a boutique guitar that is not the most widely known in this climate. I tend to hem and haw over guitar purchases and make sure they are in the shape implied, which tends to drag things out a bit. I'm just cautious by nature, I guess.

I'd say it was a really good deal. Not highway robbery, but a definite solid deal. As for being a lightweight model, that could be polarizing. Some people really like the thick, heavy guitars, some prefer lighter, more shoulder-friendly guitars. That would be personal preference and if there was a certain sound (or chiropractic schedule) you were going for.

I believe it's an upcharge from the factory, so if you were going to a LW model, something like that would probably be a really nice price. If it is as nice in-person as the pics make it out to be, that could be a really nice one.

Hey rjsanders, have you seen Inception yet? Possible (very minor) spoiler alert . . .

They use Penrose Stairs in a pretty creative fashion.

-Cheers

Archived