Heritage Owners Club

How consistent are Heritages?

jjkrause84

OK..so as many of you know my plan has been to eventually sell my red 535 for something a little more 'brown'. I know it's shallow but if I'm gonna lay down over a grand for a guitar I'd like it to be in a colour I like (I don't think that's too much to ask). In recent weeks though I am continually amazed at the feel and tone of my 535 and am becomng increasingly fearful of letting it go only to find that it's replacement isn't quite as good (for whatever reason). I know the school of thought that says ,"Never get rid of gear you like, unless you have to" and this sort of worries me.

Whaddya think? Should I just be content with the red one or try to score a 'more ideal' replacement?

Yeah.. as to the original question..

Heritage is always handmade of great quality woods in a classic design.

On a very rare occasion, they may have a small issue, like crooked tuning keys (in the old days) or maybe even a nut that needs recut. But those are very rare and easily fixed.

Your underlying question of selling that one that you really like is more difficult.

I'd find that hard to do. Maybe you can find that you can try before you buy and decide that way.

But some players are more sensitive to neck carves ( which do vary on a Heritage ) or the feel of certain fingerboards or set ups. Or they like that certain combination of pickups and woods to create exactly "that sound".

Those are the areas of risk in your dilemma. What a quandary.

I never met a Heritage that I didn't like.

Guest HRB853370

OK..so as many of you know my plan has been to eventually sell my red 535 for something a little more 'brown'. I know it's shallow but if I'm gonna lay down over a grand for a guitar I'd like it to be in a colour I like (I don't think that's too much to ask). In recent weeks though I am continually amazed at the feel and tone of my 535 and am becomng increasingly fearful of letting it go only to find that it's replacement isn't quite as good (for whatever reason). I know the school of thought that says ,"Never get rid of gear you like, unless you have to" and this sort of worries me.

Whaddya think? Should I just be content with the red one or try to score a 'more ideal' replacement?

Maybe refinish it?

Maybe refinish it?

Heavens, NO!

That would deprive someone of the opportunity to have a 535 in the proper color.....

gallery_790_192_184393.jpg

(Sorry, but I just have a thing for red semis)

Best solution seems to be to find another 535, and if it plays and feels as good as the first, THEN sell the first one off. Or better yet, just keep them both.

jj, seeing your location is Hertfordshire, there's a 535 on eBay at the moment which might suit (http://tinyurl.com/3ae97c8). It's in South Wales, about three hours down the M4 from you. The starting bid is £1000 (0 bids so far) with a BIN of £1299.

And he's willing to negotiate. That is one stunning H535 right there. Mmmmmm,

all my H experience is via 3 xlnt dealers, who are all pretty picky about what they'll accept. so, IME all the H's i've played have been in acceptable+ (some great) fit & finish & feel & whatever the other f is...B). so much for the OP.

me, i've got a thing about red finishes in general, so i'll suggest a browner one might be even better. for me, anywayz B)

I'd say look for a more ideal one.

Personally, I'm not a fan of red guitars either. That said, once I'm actually playing them they could turn to hot pink for all it matters to me. It would still leave me wanting a browner guitar however it lets you play your current (and very nice) H-535 while you try to find a great replacement. You might want to stockpile notes on what makes your so nice to you. Note/measure the neck profile, anything that is not stock, upgraded, or modified that might be different than the standard Heritage, and perhaps try to find one locally that you can try out or a dealer that will accurately describe a/o measure things you specifically want before selling off or trading your 535. Ideally, there would be some kind of trial period.

Still, I'm on my 3rd Heritage and I've found them all to be very, very nice. I've gotten to deal with some very nice people and ended up with three Heritages I love quite a bit, so I'm obviously inclined to think that Heritages tend to be quality guitars as well as thinking that if you can get it from a reputable seller (either from a shop or somebody on the HOC with a good rep) you have a great chance of ending up with a nice guitar that sounds great, feels great, and overall meets your needs & expectations.

My 2 cents..If you are having second thoughts, don't sell it..save up for the brown one you want, and then you can avoid "Sellers Remorse".. As Always your Mileage May Vary..

A red semi is an iconic guitar:

Chuck Berry

Freddie King

Eric Clapton

Elvin Bishop

Alvin Lee

Lee Ritenour

(and I'm sure there are others...)

A red x35 combines a hint of jazz (with the big hollow body) with the brashness of rock (red--like James Dean's coat). Karma balance.

Keep it ... I bet the color is going to grow on you, just as the playability and sound are already growing on you.

It's all gonna B. Goode.

Something in your original post rings a bell with me... I have a fatal flaw in the sense that if there is a internal objection I have with a guitar, it will be with me till I sell it! Kind of a monkey on my back.

If you are not into red, trade it or sell it. I have owned a half dozen 535's... they are all pretty consistant in my eyes.

I know many people like myself, don't let fear get in the way of your happiness! I have also found that one sacrafice or missed opportunity is usually the begining of something better coming your way!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just saw thsi and realize that I didn't even keep checking MY OWN BLOODY THREAD!

Anyways, in my mind the decision has been made. I bought a brown one that I'll be able to go home and pick up in June when I go home for my sister's wedding (little sister getting married before me....bit of a trip, really).

Big Red is up for sale, but I've given my roommate first dibs as he wants a semi-hollow (and I am subtley trying to convince him that silly pointy guitars with micro-thin necks are NOT the way to go!). If he says "no thanks" then I'll post up on here and probably eBay as well.

I am pretty adaptable to necks and the like and the seller says it's an 'average' neck so I'm sure I'll be fine. I did spend 5+ minutes looking at my current 535 and then looking at pictures of my new 535 after which I was 100% convinced that, yes, this is absolutely the right thing for me to do.

It's ALSB which I am MAYBE a little worried won't be brown enough but, then again, guitars always seem to look dark. My wine red Strat never looked red...it frequently looked black.

Anyways, this is the one:

194c9702.jpg

Yeah... that one should do the trick. That's one of my favorite Heritage combinations of model and finish.

Archived