Heritage Owners Club

Playing electric without an amp

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

When I am upstairs watching TV with the wifey, but want to play one of my electrics, it would be nice to have something that plugs in and I can hear myself through headphones, or something like that. What is out there and what do ya'll use?

When I am upstairs watching TV with the wifey, but want to play one of my electrics, it would be nice to have something that plugs in and I can hear myself through headphones, or something like that. What is out there and what do ya'll use?

I often take a POD XT with me when I travel. Some Sony 7150 headphones and I'm jamming, but it does need 110v outlets.

A buddy of mine picked up one of the little VOX AC30 AmPlugs. Battery powered and small. Add a good set of earphones and you're on your way.

I use the Tascam cd trainer --if I'm watching TV, with open-air Sennheiser phones. This is a little more elaborate than just a headphone amp, but it serves that function and also allows you not only to play along with a CD but also to slow tunes down and/or change their key. Also has a metronome. Like so many of these devices, the sounds are ok at best, but it works well for practice, transcribing, etc. --esp. for me, since I can't really connect to a computer easily when I practice at home.

In honesty, it is very rare that I play through an amp at home --because it's a rare evening when my wife (and I) don't have reading or grading or writing to do, and nothing is more annoying to either of us than to try to concentrate when there is competing music or noise --so, I've been through several of these things. Keeps the peace. Also easy to take along when I'm traveling. Even use it to warm up before gigs, if there is going to be down between set-up and start time.

I notice that Tascam has now discontinued all the CD player versions and their trainers now uses digital files. I think I'll pick up a spare of the CD version.

My wife got me (read that, got herself) a pocket pod for Christmas. A bit more bulky than the Vox Amplug, but it has a fairly decent range of sounds and effects to play around with (though I haven't found much use for the "band" modeling settings as I really have no idea who the majority of the bands they include are)

Still not a substitue for the real thing of course... but it's a fun little gadget

I use a VOX AC30 Amplug. You can plug headphones into it or plug it into the soundcard on your computer. It's not a screamer, but it sounds OK for sitting around watching TV with the wife. They have multiple models with different levels of gain.

I use the same thing, VOX AC30 Amplug $39.99 at Sweetwater.com. It sounds great and no one but you will hear anything but the unplugged sound of your guitar. Vox offers a few models you want to check out ranging from $39.99 - $49.99.

I've used the Vox Amplug AC30. I loved it but its limited. I found a used Line 6 Pocket pod. You can clip it to your belt or guitar strap and plug some headphones in it. I actually use it for learning new stuff and following along on youtube videos. It has a USB interface to modify or download settings. Its tones are some of the best I've ever heard and it has a CD/MP3 input which you can plug your laptop into. Also, it can be put into the effects loop of an amp as it has a 1/4" input and output jack.

Archived