Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Sightings

Heritage, despite not advertising, made a pretty good showing in this month's round of guitar magazines.  Guitar Edge has pictures of Alex Skolnick with a 150 (p. 2) and a 575 (p. 10), and Acoustic Guitar has a couple of pictures of John Sebastian playing a Heritage that looks like a Golden Eagle, though the "What He Play's" box identifies it as an Eagle. (p. 7, p. 66)  I've seen pictures of Skolnick with the 575, but never before with the 150, and I didn't know Sebastian played Heritage.

For all that I wish the company's reputation rested on the quality of the guitars and not association with celebrities, in the real world this sort of free publicity seems to bode well for the company's future.

Speaking of guitar mags, did anyone see the cover of the April Guitar World with EVH and his son?  No offense to EVH fans, but it looks like two guys dressed up for a Halloween party, one as Frankenstein (Eddie) and one as an Elvis impersonator (the son.) 

Seeing and more importantly, hearing Alex playing a gold 150 with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra made my mind up.  More recently I read an interview where he mentioned why he plays a Heritage.  He said that he switched from Ibanez because he felt bad playing one then having people in the audience get an Ibanez and it not being anywhere near the same guitar he plays on stage.  He said that would not be the case with a Heritage.

I talked to Ren about a year ago when I got the 137.  He said that John Sebastian bought a 137 and he let the guitar player for Letterman borrow it and was having a hard time getting it back.  That night we were at my buds place and the guy playing guitar for Letterman was playing a Korina single pick up 137. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this doesn't deserve a new thread, but new band pictures yesterday for a couple of summer gigs with new lineup.  I'm trying to fly the Heritage flag as best I can.  Saxist in funny hat has Ph.D. in Musical composition, woman seated beside him Ph.D. in classical piano performance (plays a mean What I Say), back row is Radio Bob, band leader and engineer at local public radio station, then two students --vocalist and basist-- currrently in the lineup.  New drummer went to the wrong place for picture --not a good sign.

width=600 height=402http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/111518/image11.jpg[/img]

OK, this doesn't deserve a new thread, but new band pictures yesterday for a couple of summer gigs with new lineup.  I'm trying to fly the Heritage flag as best I can.  Saxist in funny hat has Ph.D. in Musical composition, woman seated beside him Ph.D. in classical piano performance (plays a mean What I Say), back row is Radio Bob, band leader and engineer at local public radio station, then two students --vocalist and basist-- currrently in the lineup. 

New drummer went to the wrong place for picture --not a good sign.

width=600 height=402http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/111518/image11.jpg[/img]

As long as he arrived on  time !

Nice pic by the way.

Good luck with the new lineup. :wink:

I'll be playing my 535 in a month or so at the Great American BBQ Festival here in KC.  We're having one of the local weather guys sit in for the gig, so I'm pretty sure it'll be on the telly at some point and I'll try to get the headstock in the shot.  ;)

OK, this doesn't deserve a new thread, but new band pictures yesterday for a couple of summer gigs with new lineup..........

Who's the hippy with the 535?    >:D

Who's the hippy with the 535?    >:D

By the way, 11, I can tell by the way that your hand fits the neck of that 535 it has the righteous shape neck that I love.  If man wasn't supposed to play high up on the neck God wouldn't have put frets up there.  The 475 with the wide flat neck is a true work of art.  The perfect neck on a Heritage acoustic.  That's hard to beat! 

Thanks everyone for your kind words in response to my more-than-a-little ridiculous photograph.  The three old guys in the picture have played together now for 15 years ... maybe that's because we've always had a sense of humor about the thing. 

As for the new drummer and "on time" ... I've never even been introduced to the guy and I'll be on stage with him for a three set gig two weeks from today.  The student bass player knows him and says that he's compulsive about speed and technique ... not usually what I want to hear about a drummer.  On the other hand, he's the student of a very good drummer who has worked with us in the past and who recommended him, so he didn't just wake up one morning and decide that because he likes to beat on things he's a drummer. 

On my being an old hippie ... one of the very few benefits of being an adjunct instructor in the world of higher education is that there is no dress or appearance code beyond basic cleanliness  to which I feel bound to conform.  I'm too cheap to fire.  (there IS a formal NO DOG policy to which my golden retriever says rrrrrrtuff!)  The students probably think I look like a radical historian/guitar teacher should look, and they like my dog, and my dept. chair is the sax player in the funny hat so it's all good (until payday, when it really sucks.)

As to my 535 --yeah, I was trying to make sure the headstock was in the picture.  It's a custom order from Wolfe with ebony fingerboard.  My preference would have been for more yellow-to-black than brown-to-darker brown sunburst, but I think the latter is Jay's sense of what "OSB" should mean.  He kept saying tobacco sunburst, I kept saying OSB.

Here's one more from the "shoot."  Thanks again. 

width=321 height=480http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/111518/image43.jpg[/img]

Tonight I stopped by a buddy's place and he dialed up his fancy "view on demand."  A BBC show was on called, "Later with Jools Holland."  It was a June of 2004 show with Tom Petty.  There was a guy with a group called Catatonia playing an H-150.  Nice guitar but the music sucked. 

There was another band called Kula Shaker that rocked! 

oooh yeah - Jools Holland! We get BBC here in Holland and I love his shows. Indeed some of the music sucks, but it's all live - where do you find that on the idiot box these days? What I like about the BBC so much is their enormous experience with sound production. I once talked to bass player Richard Sinclair of prog bands Caravan, Hatfield & the North and Camel who has been recording a couple of times in BBC studios. He told me you have these old men with dust-coats who first ask you to play your instrument and then they go to the store room in the back and return with just the right mic to get your specific sound on tape. He saw this happening with even the worst sounding punk groups. And no matter what your taste is, every band sounds great on Jools Holland's shows.

- where do you find that on the idiot box these days?

It was on a view on demand channel.  The sound was very good and the photography was first rate. 

oh yeh, jool's show is top notch.  Lool for 'concert tv' - we get it on comcast cable up in the 1900 channel series.  It's free in demand and they switch the shows every couple weeks to month.  They're also showing a german show called rockpalast(sp) of live concerts.  Very cool stuff.

oh yeh, jool's show is top notch.  Lool for 'concert tv' - we get it on comcast cable up in the 1900 channel series.  It's free in demand and they switch the shows every couple weeks to month.  They're also showing a german show called rockpalast(sp) of live concerts.  Very cool stuff.

Yep 99, my buddy has Comcast.  That's where we saw it. 

Another friend got cut off from Comcast about 20 years ago.  Their signal was bad in the old days and their billing was worse.  They cut him off by mistake the same day he found a dish of funky food in his fridge left over from the previous tenant.  He drove down to Comcast and spooned that casserole into their drop box.  He said it was all he could do not to puke.  Good times!

Archived