Heritage Owners Club

with the snow approaching...

kbp810

In the prelude to our little approaching snow storm (okay, so it's pretty much "approached" and in progress already) I made a few side trips on the way home from work to snag some speakers to re-load my 4x12 cab.

My first stop was for a pair of EV 12L's - the big ol' heavy beasts that I just can't get enough of! (even though my back would beg to differ.)My second stop was for a pair of freshly reconed Jensen 12CQ's - I'm thinking these two combined should make for a rather interesting blend... ^_^

So, facing the prospect of being snowed in for a while, and that for the moment it's just me and the dog at home; what a great time to get the speakers in, wired up, and then see if I can't shake some of that snow off of our roof!

...then uhm yeah; ever had the pleasure of trying to balance the heft of an EV with one hand and start a screw with the other???

Needless to say this is about as far as I've gotten so far... :mad:

2011-02-01191404.jpg

Sounds good, Brian! Silly question, but wouldn't it be easier to lay the cab on it's front, so gravity isn't working against you as you try to screw the speakers in? I don't know why we Army vets need to explain everything to you Navy types.... :icon_biggrin:

Sounds good, Brian! Silly question, but wouldn't it be easier to lay the cab on it's front, so gravity isn't working against you as you try to screw the speakers in? I don't know why we Army vets need to explain everything to you Navy types.... :icon_biggrin:

LOL!

Funny thing is... a split second after I posted this that very thing dawned on me!

I tried to hurry up and post a reply to help save myself some level of embarrassment, but looks like I was just a little too late!

...and to think, Navy pilots used to actually fly in the jet's I repaired!

2011-02-01202546.jpg

I had a pair of EVs in a Marshall 2x12 slant cabinet. Great sounding speakers, killer little cabinet, frickin' weighed a ton!!!

Oh I know! I put one in my Tweed Champ build and it sounded flat out awesome, but between the EV and the solid maple cab - that little fella weighed a ton too! I ended up selling the EV via means of using it in RPL231's Deluxe Reverb, it was a little better off being paired with light weight pine (and the EV really sounded dynamite in the DR!).

Wife came home just as the soldering iron was heating up, so ended up taking a break for a while.

Wiring's all done now and did some low volume playing, sounds great; seems very accurate at low volume - clean when the amp is clean, dirty when the amp is dirty... can't wait until tomorrow to open her up and see what she can do! (of course the real test won't come until the 100 watt ODS build is completed ;) )

2011-02-01221031.jpg

Wiring's all done now and did some low volume playing, sounds great; seems very accurate at low volume - clean when the amp is clean, dirty when the amp is dirty... can't wait until tomorrow to open her up and see what she can do! (of course the real test won't come until the 100 watt ODS build is completed ;) )

This is very similar setup to what I have in one of my 4x12 cabinets. It has a pair of EVM-12Ls and a pair of V30s. I realize you are trying to go for a balanced sound with the crossfire speaker arrangement, but what I think you will find is that the EVs will noticeably overshadow the other two speakers. In other words you will tend to hear the top EV and just a little of the other speaker. The EVs are just that much more efficient.

A suggestion would be to place the two EVs at the bottom to allow them to couple with the floor (improves bass) and place the other two in the upper position. In this arrangement, the more efficient EVs will still be heard and they will balance the entire cabinet closer with the other two on top where you ear will be. In addition, the cabinet will be better balanced from a toting and stability standpoint with a lower center of gravity. Just a suggestion from what I found while playing around with mine and similar to what Mesa used to do with their cabinets. It's all good!

This is very similar setup to what I have in one of my 4x12 cabinets. It has a pair of EVM-12Ls and a pair of V30s. I realize you are trying to go for a balanced sound with the crossfire speaker arrangement, but what I think you will find is that the EVs will noticeably overshadow the other two speakers. In other words you will tend to hear the top EV and just a little of the other speaker. The EVs are just that much more efficient.

A suggestion would be to place the two EVs at the bottom to allow them to couple with the floor (improves bass) and place the other two in the upper position. In this arrangement, the more efficient EVs will still be heard and they will balance the entire cabinet closer with the other two on top where you ear will be. In addition, the cabinet will be better balanced from a toting and stability standpoint with a lower center of gravity. Just a suggestion from what I found while playing around with mine and similar to what Mesa used to do with their cabinets. It's all good!

Thanks for the tip!

I moved the other EV to the bottom and I did notice an improvment in bass (also noticed an increase in things rattling within my house, indicative of the improved bass :) )

I had my Tweed Deluxe cranked through it yesterday and that was a whole lot of fun! Really great classic rock tones with the EV's providing clarity and bass while the Jensens adding an interesting little touch of "honk" to the mix

I bet that bad boy kicks out some primitive low end!

And you though Thumper was a character in a Disney movie :tongue3:

On the Mic'ing... I tried running it through my laptop, but it just can't seem to handle recording. I get a good sound, but there are a lot of pauses and dropouts that I am certain are the fault of the computer and not the Mic. I know my desktop upstairs has a fancy smancy sound card and the brain power to handle it, but I don't really want to get in the habbit of lugging everything up and down the stairs, especially a 4x12 cab! (and I would be in big trouble with the Mrs. if I took the desktop out of her office!)

I'm just about due for a new laptop anyways... so I'm planning on that along with a new interface that will run off either a USB 3.0 or Firewire 800 port. After that, the last remaining variable will be me finding the time to practice playing again, as I will no longer be able to blame the Mic for the lousy sounding clips ;)

wow, look at the magnet size differences in those speakers...!!

the EV's can probably handle 100w and the jensens 25w, so I wouldn't pump more than 100w thru that cab ( 4x25w = 100w )

did you check the speaker sensitivity to match them up? ideally you want close or identical sens. so the volume of each is comparable....otherwise one pair will be a lot louder & you won't hear the others much

I am getting a pair of jensen 10's to match with some scumback 10's, I made sure they were a close mach before I bought them...96db vs 95.5db

jensen C12Q = 94.6 db, rated for 35w

http://jensentone.com/c12q.php

EV12L = 100db...and rated for a whopping 300 watts!! no wonder those magnets are such behemoths

http://www.srl.utu.fi/~tke/MesaBoogie/Loudspeaker/evm12L-eds.pdf

Well... it was in part intentional to mix the Jensens with the EV's in that way

I want to hear the EV's loud and clear, and then have the Jensens add a touch of offseting color in the back ground... all in all though, I really just went with the Jensens as a matter of convenience. They popped up for sale just as I started looking so I snatched them up. In the long term, I will likely end up replacing them with a pair of Alnico's of some sort a ltitle further down the road

It's hard to match other speakers to those ev's due to their efficiency.

FWIW, one candidate with similar design characteristics and definitely enough efficiency is the discontinued and rare JBL g125. They can handle similar wattage. Big 12 1/2 pound magnet, 3" flattened aluminum ribbon VC, paper dust dome, 102db 1 watt meter. How do they sound? Big bottom, huge mids, and a smooth top end that compared to the EV is more rolled off. They were designed to deliver smooth dirty tones, as well as nice cleans, they do just that. I have two of them in an old Peavey cab. A third is in my basement, it arrived from ebay with a VC rub, I'm gonna send it to Tone Tubby for a recone soon.

Archived