Heritage Owners Club

New Amp Day

GuitArtMan

Actually I've had it for a couple of days now - Fryette Memphis 30:

723458.jpg

723455.jpg

723460.jpg

Two channels: clean and distortion, though both are capable of crystal clean tones and cranked up tones,

Each channel is selectable 30/18 watts.

Three voices per channel: clean - spank, brite, bloom: distortion - fat, crisp, smooth.

Boost function for each channel.

Reverb.

Selectable series/parallel loop.

One thing I noticed about the amp was with the knobs at 12:00 o'clock, it had a very good useable tone on both channels with tons of tweakability. Not that this is a requirement for me, or that it guarantees a good amp, I just like that face I've got room to tweak.

All voices sound good on both channels and work well with the tone controls.

I really like the boost function (footswitchable). On the clean channel, 18 watts I can get a good clean tone and then kick in the boost for a soloing tone with just a bit of hair on it. On the distortion channel I can get a good crunchy rhythm tone and then kick in the boost for smooth medium high gain soloing.

The front panel is removable to allow easy access to the pre-amp tubes for cork sniffer tube swapping. I haven't got there yet as I'm having too much fun with the stock amp, but I know I'll get there,

This just may become my number one amp.

It's like finding that one guitar; isn't it? Congrats.

What led you to try this one in the first place? Did you happen upon it or hunt it down?

Nice looking amp. Another brand I haven't heard of. I like the 18W option for home use, something I could use, both my amps are kind of wall shakers. If you don't mind..how much $? Enjoy.

Awful lot of little knobbies and switches on the top of that amp! My fat 'ol fingers could never work them toggles that small. :blush: I do like the design and overall look of that amp, tho'. Very classy. What's it weigh? Looks very "portable". :icon_thumright:

It's like finding that one guitar; isn't it? Congrats.

What led you to try this one in the first place? Did you happen upon it or hunt it down?

Incurable GAS lead me to it! Actually there are several amp I've been wanting to try/buy for a while now. One of them is the Mesa Lonestar Special (still on my short list). Anyway somebody posted a question on TGP about the Lonestar classic vs the Fryette Memphis 30. I started doing some research, listened to the clips, one came up used at a great price so I snapped it up. I've been wanting a channel switcher for awhile, and I'm a sucker for el84 amp, this one is floatin' my boat right now.

never heard of those but it looks like a very versitle amp....congrats!!!

Steven Fryette was the designer behind VHT amps. For some reason he sold the rights to the VHT name a few years back and now manufactures amps under his own name Fryette. You can even buy a Fryette faceplate for your old Fryette era VHT amp.

Nice looking amp. Another brand I haven't heard of. I like the 18W option for home use, something I could use, both my amps are kind of wall shakers. If you don't mind..how much $? Enjoy.

As I told the Brentster Steven Fryette was the designer behind VHT amps and for some reason sold the name a few years back. I got this one used for $1300 shipped - street price on the 1x12 combo new is around $1650. They just came out with a head version (I believe it was shown at the NAMM show) - I don't know the price on that.

Happy 'NAD' indeed. Those got pretty high marks in Guitar Player magazine. Hopefully this cures any lingering 'AAS' you might have. :drunken_smilie:

I wish! Still AAS'n for the Tungsten Crema Wheat and the 65 Amps London Pro, among others. If they ever come out with a decent user interface for the Axe-Fx (I can't stand the interface) I might just get one of those and be done with it.

Awful lot of little knobbies and switches on the top of that amp! My fat 'ol fingers could never work them toggles that small. :blush: I do like the design and overall look of that amp, tho'. Very classy. What's it weigh? Looks very "portable". :icon_thumright:

The knobs are well spaced and easy to see/get too. The switches you most likely wouldn't be flipping on the fly anyway - they're for the voicing, boost (foot switchable as well) amd channel select (also foot switchable). I don't know the exact weight, but it's more than my Carmen Ghia 1x12 but less then my Pro Reverb (2x12). It's a little big for the ultimate grab and go amp, but not as heavy as a similarly sized Mesa or Matchless.

Nice looking amp! I hadn't heard of this on either. What's the tone of the speaker like? Is it alnico? How much does the amp weigh? Looks like it has a very good pedigree!

The speaker was designed for the amp and sounds excellent - it's a good match for the amp - sounds great clean or screaming. I haven't yet tried it through any other cabinets/speakers. No it is not Alnico. From the documentation the amp weighs in at 50 lb. even.

Looks like a keeper. I like the pre-amp section and choices. Looks to be a versatile amp.

Archived