Heritage Owners Club

at risk of total humiliation

big bob

Never be afraid to share your music with your friends on the HOC, Bob. If humiliation was on the agenda, you'd never have heard any of my stuff!!!

Great to hear your amp, your guitar - and your voice! I often wonder what you all sound like (guitars and voices) in everyday life - I doubt that I'll ever make a PSP visit so things like this are one of the few ways of finding out.

Nice, Lance. Good playing - sound is bright and full w/that combo. Sounds good. :icon_thumright:

Just needs a bit more cowbell...

Ive never heard a demo with the right amount of cowbell.

Im pretty certain Lance could make a cowbell. He seems to be able to make or fix anything else.

what circuit is that amp based off?

Never one to be shy about rendering an opinion, whether or not it's requested or warranted, I think I'll do so here as well. Lance: I apologize in advance for hijacking your thread . . but this is as much about you and your preface of . . "The playing stinks" . . . to your sound clip, as it is about all else who do the same thing. I've heard that sentiment of how some feel about their playing expressed here on HOC all too often.

It probably shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but I always find myself unhappy to hear or read where a guitar player apologizes for, or makes excuses for his or her playing skills/abilities/talents, when giving someone a listen to something that they might have played or recorded. I think it it all stems back to the somewhat childish comparisons we all grew up with. "Who's a better player . . Clapton or Page . . . . Jeff Beck or SRV . . . Joe Pass or Herb Ellis. I believe that because of the "who's better" and the "who's the best" scenarios, too many players at the lower skill levels are comparing themselves to those who may be, for what ever reason, much better players than themselves. Or, even worse, they feel that others are comparing them to better players. And, some may actually be doing just that. But, it's the exception and not the rule. It saddens me to think that Lance and others might be reluctant to post something because they're concerned that there are some on HOC who are going to listen to the posts just to criticize the playing.

Guitar players are at the levels they are at because of a variety of factors. There are those few, more fortunate people, who are just born with greater hand/eye coordination, greater motor skills, a greater ability to focus on the learning, a greater degree of discipline to pay the dues associated with learning, an inordinate amount of time to play/study and a perfect ear. Then, there's the exact opposite end of the spectrum . . .no God given talent, no discipline, no work ethic, no time to study. Then there's everything in between those two extremes. There are also priorities. Some people prioritize their lives and their time such that improving their guitar playing skills is not very high up on their list of what's most important to them. And, for most, there is a distinct difference between what's most desirable and what's most important. In my own case;; I started to learn guitar playing at 23 years old. I'm currently 60 years old. I'm sure that if I totally devoted myself for the past 37 years to the guitar, I would be a world class player. While I really wanted to do so, there were other things that were more important to me at the time . . . like making sure that my financial well being was such that my family was secure, financially. I stopped being angry with myself about my skill level long ago. It is what it is. I would like to be a better player today .. . but, I believe that I made the right choices . . . and, I'm studying again. So, I'll be a better player tomorrow.

While it is obvious that there are players here on HOC of all different levels of skills and abilities, it seems to me that most of the people who post frequently are not of the "virtuoso" level of playing. Nor is anyone judgmental. If anything, everyone seems very non-judgmental, very supportive as well as encouraging.

Lance: you're wrong. Your playing didn't "stink". While the people who might have listened to the bluesy playing that you posted would never misinterpret it as coming from Eric Clapton . . . you certainly didn't stink . . and hopefully you'll never refer to your playing that way again. Your passion for guitar is obvious and unsurpassed. There will always be those players who play better than you do . . as well as those who do not. But, it's not competition!!! At least, it shouldn't be. For each of us . . it's a work in progress.

I do apologize for the lengthy rant, but I felt like I had to say that.

<<<<<<<<<<<<Heaps of great points>>>>>>>>>>>>

Patrick, totally agree with you and glad you felt like you had to say that. I really enjoy hearing people play at any level. I search out the HOC for clips before any NGD, NAD posts unless I suspect that those NAD NGD posts might have clips attached. Seems like there is never enough and a thread with clips gets less activity than a thread about picks or strings.

Im just as guilty of apologizing and making excuses for my playing and sound quality as anyone. Will probably do it next time I think I have something I want to post as well. Shrug

Never one to be shy about rendering an opinion, whether or not it's requested or warranted, I think I'll do so here as well. Lance: I apologize in advance for hijacking your thread . . but this is as much about you and your preface of . . "The playing stinks" . . . to your sound clip, as it is about all else who do the same thing. I've heard that sentiment of how some feel about their playing expressed here on HOC all too often.

It probably shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but I always find myself unhappy to hear or read where a guitar player apologizes for, or makes excuses for his or her playing skills/abilities/talents, when giving someone a listen to something that they might have played or recorded. I think it it all stems back to the somewhat childish comparisons we all grew up with. "Who's a better player . . Clapton or Page . . . . Jeff Beck or SRV . . . Joe Pass or Herb Ellis. I believe that because of the "who's better" and the "who's the best" scenarios, too many players at the lower skill levels are comparing themselves to those who may be, for what ever reason, much better players than themselves. Or, even worse, they feel that others are comparing them to better players. And, some may actually be doing just that. But, it's the exception and not the rule. It saddens me to think that Lance and others might be reluctant to post something because they're concerned that there are some on HOC who are going to listen to the posts just to criticize the playing.

Guitar players are at the levels they are at because of a variety of factors. There are those few, more fortunate people, who are just born with greater hand/eye coordination, greater motor skills, a greater ability to focus on the learning, a greater degree of discipline to pay the dues associated with learning, an inordinate amount of time to play/study and a perfect ear. Then, there's the exact opposite end of the spectrum . . .no God given talent, no discipline, no work ethic, no time to study. Then there's everything in between those two extremes. There are also priorities. Some people prioritize their lives and their time such that improving their guitar playing skills is not very high up on their list of what's most important to them. And, for most, there is a distinct difference between what's most desirable and what's most important. In my own case;; I started to learn guitar playing at 23 years old. I'm currently 60 years old. I'm sure that if I totally devoted myself for the past 37 years to the guitar, I would be a world class player. While I really wanted to do so, there were other things that were more important to me at the time . . . like making sure that my financial well being was such that my family was secure, financially. I stopped being angry with myself about my skill level long ago. It is what it is. I would like to be a better player today .. . but, I believe that I made the right choices . . . and, I'm studying again. So, I'll be a better player tomorrow.

While it is obvious that there are players here on HOC of all different levels of skills and abilities, it seems to me that most of the people who post frequently are not of the "virtuoso" level of playing. Nor is anyone judgmental. If anything, everyone seems very non-judgmental, very supportive as well as encouraging.

Lance: you're wrong. Your playing didn't "stink". While the people who might have listened to the bluesy playing that you posted would never misinterpret it as coming from Eric Clapton . . . you certainly didn't stink . . and hopefully you'll never refer to your playing that way again. Your passion for guitar is obvious and unsurpassed. There will always be those players who play better than you do . . as well as those who do not. But, it's not competition!!! At least, it shouldn't be. For each of us . . it's a work in progress.

+10

Excellent! I'd add a couple of things: 1. Remember, there are a lot of people out there who love the music but never learned how to play an instrument and would be so happy if they could play 10% of what you play. 2. We're always worried about the latest 2% we're working on, and we tend to forget that of all the things we play, we have 98% down, but we keep focusing on that latest 2%: never forget to enjoy yourself when you're playing.

Ive never heard a demo with the right amount of cowbell.

Im pretty certain Lance could make a cowbell. He seems to be able to make or fix anything else.

what circuit is that amp based off?

This is a six tube version of the Hiwatt DR103

HiwattTopChassis.jpg

Guys, Patrick, I would like to acknowledge your discomfort with my opening excuse. I admit, it's fishing for a compliment while also pretending that at other times my playing is better. You are all correct. It is what it is.. I had fun making it and it was surprisingly easy to upload from my phone.

Thanks for the kind words, the sound on the clip does not do justice to the amp. It has a great tone (tag said so) real immediate, crisp attack, with a long clear, tall, full fade. very punchy, takes peddles superbly. Once I get the ark built (bad rain joke)I can't wait to start on the cab.

peace

Lance

Oh yeah.. that one has the power to move some air.

Nice warm sound with lots of headroom..

That baby is ready to rock and roll now... give it some more speakers and some overdrive.. and mmmmmmm.

I do bet that takes pedals nice.

Just don't blow out the windows with it.

This is a six tube version of the Hiwatt DR103

HiwattTopChassis.jpg

I did not know that Hiwatt used Partridge trannies. Hmmmmmmm...

Guys, Patrick, I would like to acknowledge your discomfort with my opening excuse. I admit, it's fishing for a compliment while also pretending that at other times my playing is better. You are all correct. It is what it is.. I had fun making it and it was surprisingly easy to upload from my phone.

Thanks for the kind words, the sound on the clip does not do justice to the amp. It has a great tone (tag said so) real immediate, crisp attack, with a long clear, tall, full fade. very punchy, takes peddles superbly. Once I get the ark built (bad rain joke)I can't wait to start on the cab.

peace

Lance

Hey Big Bob,

Nice sounding amp! And, I've been wanting to hear the mini hums.

Has the rain stopped yet? I'm flying to Gainesville tomorrow morning.

Nice sounding amp. Playing not shabby at all. Give yourself a little credit.

I have this thing where when the playing is hot, the video is junk. and when the video is ok the playing is OK. I guess thats what you get when you hire yourself. I was able to record through the computer for a while but now all I have is my daughters flip video and my iphone.

But what I meant to say was

Archived