Heritage Owners Club

strap button placement

barrymclark

I got a strap button for the neck strap attachment for my 575.

Where are some good places to put it? I know in the heel plate is where I have seen some.

I like for the guitar to sit with some tilt when hanging by a strap. Makes some of those chords with my pinky holding the bass notes easier.

what's the inside of those like? you want it into the wood, so basically it's gotta be somewhere either on the neck, neck heel, or neck joint. I don't know if the neck joint on the 575 puts solid wood on the back of the guitar.

I'd think the heel plate is a good choice. Just make sure you use the right size drill bit, and don't drill any more than you have to. also remember to put some bar soap on the screw to help keep it from sticking.

what's the inside of those like? you want it into the wood, so basically it's gotta be somewhere either on the neck, neck heel, or neck joint. I don't know if the neck joint on the 575 puts solid wood on the back of the guitar.

I'd think the heel plate is a good choice. Just make sure you use the right size drill bit, and don't drill any more than you have to. also remember to put some bar soap on the screw to help keep it from sticking.

Second! Bar soap or rub a the screw threads on a candle to pick up some of the wax. That'll also prevent the wood from splitting!

Barry THIS WAS ON THE OLD HERITAGE WEBSITE (oops cap lock was on)

1106.jpg

I actually have mine on the body where Heritage says "it doesn't Hang as well". Jay Wolfe recommend putting it where I have it (I can't remember the exact reasoning, but he said HE didn't like putting strap buttons on the neck for some reason).

FWIW, my 575 and Eagle hang just fine with the strap button on the back.

I concur with Kuz. The guitars hang very well plus the strap lock doesn't get in the way with the money frets.

I actually have mine on the body where Heritage says "it doesn't Hang as well". Jay Wolfe recommend putting it where I have it (I can't remember the exact reasoning, but he said HE didn't like putting strap buttons on the neck for some reason).

FWIW, my 575 and Eagle hang just fine with the strap button on the back.

I wouldn't want to have it on the neck either.

I also see it says 'Thick jazz guitar'. I wonder if they mean that on the much larger jazz boxes that there is the falling away issue. Maybe that is why it works with the 575.

Don't get too much "thicker" than a Golden Eagle.

Back-2Web.jpg

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread. I was looking at it because I'm about to get the drill out for a full size archtop.

Here's a slightly odd placement on a big Heritage. The body is 18" across and 3.5" deep. The first owner knew what he was doing when he had Heritage put the button here.

My least favorite spot is the rim, but even that works okay. The heel, wood or plastic, is fine, too.

gallery_2472_317_134390.jpg

Lee Ritenour has his strap button on the neck heal too..... but it might have been then when he got it 50 years ago....

My 535 is the only guitar I've ever had with the strap button on the back of the guitar rather than on the heel of the neck. I was concerned initially that the guitar would hang awkwardly, but it doesn't, it's very comfortable. Either place works just fine, no interference with the frets. What's that old saying...there's no money past the third fret anyway.

Archived