Heritage Owners Club

Is it just me?

I sold off my Peavey amp that had the right kind of overdriven tube tone I love. I'm going to a sweet clean amp, but from what I can tell, no pedal will ever give you the type of tone a tube amp with a Master Volume has. Or am I completely wrong with on this??? What's everyone else's opinion?

I sold off my Peavey amp that had the right kind of overdriven tube tone I love. I'm going to a sweet clean amp, but from what I can tell, no pedal will ever give you the type of tone a tube amp with a Master Volume has. Or am I completely wrong with on this??? What's everyone else's opinion?

That's why you need more than one amp!

That's why I love my little champ for when I want heavy OD without shaking the house... then I have the Tweed Deluxe when I want to rattle the windows a little bit... and of course the ODS when I want to rattle my neighbors windows a little bit :)

Though I think you'll find that the RD will start to break up nicely around 6-7 on the dial, and with rolled off volume on your guitar you should be able to get some decent OD tones without getting too loud.

A master volume can help... when an amp has been properly designed around a master volume (i.e. high gain preamp) - otherwise the tone can suffer and the better route is to attenuate.

If you want, I could put a Master Volume on the RD, but I'm not sure if you'd like the results.

Ive used stomps through a clean amp to approximate another amp sound. Sometimes win, sometimes close, sometimes better. As for how it feels Im not sure. Some pedals sit in the sound and others seem to sit on top of the sound??!! Best results Ive had is when the amp and speaker is already working and the stomp just pushes it further. Always feels very natural at this stage. Ive had amps where at quieter volumes the gain channel didnt sound very natural or very nice and any stomp sounded better. I think I like a blend of pre, power amp and speaker break up. Some stomps do it quite well.

That's why you need more than one amp!

That's why I love my little champ for when I want heavy OD without shaking the house... then I have the Tweed Deluxe when I want to rattle the windows a little bit... and of course the ODS when I want to rattle my neighbors windows a little bit :)

Though I think you'll find that the RD will start to break up nicely around 6-7 on the dial, and with rolled off volume on your guitar you should be able to get some decent OD tones without getting too loud.

A master volume can help... when an amp has been properly designed around a master volume (i.e. high gain preamp) - otherwise the tone can suffer and the better route is to attenuate.

If you want, I could put a Master Volume on the RD, but I'm not sure if you'd like the results.

I didn't think a master volume would be possible. But you're right, I may not like it. Drives me crazy thinking about it all. If I'd just kept the Superchamp, I'd would be thinking about all this.....

I've gotten great tones from tube amps, tube stompboxes, and diode/led/etc based stomp boxes. I don't really discriminate as long as it has great tone. I've never heard a tube amp that can get the sound of the MXR Dist+, or the ProCo Rat.

I've always liked the tones of my amps overdriven with pedals. Not sure I actually like the complete "OD" tone of an amp. I like the natural clipping from warm, glowing tubes. But as for that "OD" that gets me going, lead-wise, I prefer my pedals.

I've managed to grab a bunch of master volume amps that I would run direct into.

I've got a couple of all tube Dean Markley amps from the 80's that are incredibly flexible tone wise. And there are a couple of hybrid amps that I'm pleased with.

But lately I always use my LovePedal ProValve II pedal.. I love the tone and the way it works.. it cleans up nicely with the guitar volume knob.

Guest HRB853370

Ibanez Tube Screamer-a classic pedal

Ibanez Tube Screamer-a classic pedal

Currently I'm borrowing the 5E3 V2.0 from KBP810 15watt(ish) 12" combo, I have a Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9DX going to a Boss Power Stack ST-2. I've been messing with the gain and tone knobs on both pedals and still having a hard time getting a warm overdrive tone. The amp is extremely clean and loud. But the pedals are not giving me that overdriven sweet spot I get from naturally overdriven tubes.

Currently I'm borrowing the 5E3 V2.0 from KBP810 15watt(ish) 12" combo, I have a Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9DX going to a Boss Power Stack ST-2. I've been messing with the gain and tone knobs on both pedals and still having a hard time getting a warm overdrive tone. The amp is extremely clean and loud. But the pedals are not giving me that overdriven sweet spot I get from naturally overdriven tubes.

Have you tried backing right down the gain and tone and cranking the volume of the ts9? I might be thinking of a different type of od to you though.

I do a similar thing with the RAT. Gain real low and level just past unity with the amp. Fat and warm, slightly dark, not at all fizzy, very natural sounding. Stacks well with the TS9 in the above setting to give a full sounding od.

Have you tried backing right down the gain and tone and cranking the volume of the ts9? I might be thinking of a different type of od to you though.

I do a similar thing with the RAT. Gain real low and level just past unity with the amp. Fat and warm, slightly dark, not at all fizzy, very natural sounding. Stacks well with the TS9 in the above setting to give a full sounding od.

Used to do that with my original Marshall Shred Master. Yep, it made for a wonderful and very natural sounding low-gain OD when set up that way. Used to get lots of comments on using a Shred Master and not shredding (like I even could!). But hey, they're all tools to be used.

I've always liked the tones of my amps overdriven with pedals. Not sure I actually like the complete "OD" tone of an amp. I like the natural clipping from warm, glowing tubes. But as for that "OD" that gets me going, lead-wise, I prefer my pedals.

+1

Even if the amp is overdriven, the OD pedal will "tighten" the tone up and make sound less flabby or that the speaker is "farting out".

I've owned a number of "master volume" amps over the years, both single channel and channel switching. I've been goosing them with pedals for about as long as I've been playing. Some pedals sound great into a clean amp, some don't. Some pedals sound great into an amp on the edge, some don't. Some pedals sound great into an amp that's already heavily overdriven, some don't. I love pedals, I love amps, I love stacking pedals into pedals and I love stacking pedals into amps. Sometimes the best tones are found when combining overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals together or into an overdriven amp.

Archived