Heritage Owners Club

Vintage Marshall tone in a small amp?

Blunote

I've started Jonsing for a amp that can deliver the old Marshall 18w sound. Thing is, I'd like to get that tone at practice levels. Apart from using a peddle with my Blues Jr., does such an amp exist?

Blackstone, maybe?

Ummm...yeah! Easy to find from the boutique makers, tons of 'em. Don't expect super cheap price for super wonderful tones. Look for a post phase inverter master volume thang in the build for better lower volume tones, or specify one from your chosen builder of choice. Cheaply mass assembled printed circuit board amp builds need not apply...Ceriatone has great value/quality.

Boutique amps for boutique guitars!

I've started Jonsing for a amp that can deliver the old Marshall 18w sound. Thing is, I'd like to get that tone at practice levels. Apart from using a peddle with my Blues Jr., does such an amp exist?

Blackstone, maybe?

do you mean Blackstar? They also make a tube driven OD pedal that's supposed to be really good too.

Guest HRB853370

Blackstone, maybe?

I think you meant Blackstar. I have a 5w HT-5H Blackstar coming in a few days, and according to reviews you can dial in a British tone or an American tone with the Infinite Shape Control. Blackstar was started by former Marshall engineers. I will be giving a tone report when I get it.

Guest HRB853370

do you mean Blackstar? They also make a tube driven OD pedal that's supposed to be really good too.

The HT-5 has the circuitry of that OD pedal built in the amp!

Ummm...yeah! Easy to find from the boutique makers, tons of 'em. Don't expect super cheap price for super wonderful tones. Look for a post phase inverter master volume thang in the build for better lower volume tones, or specify one from your chosen builder of choice. Cheaply mass assembled printed circuit board amp builds need not apply...Ceriatone has great value/quality.

Boutique amps for boutique guitars!

Yep, they exist!

There are some nifty little 2 watt designs out there that are very intriguing (sorry I can't think of the specific makes/models right off the top of my head)

Nope - it's a myth that you can get tones associated with a large watt/volume level amp at practice level volumes. Plenty of marketing in attempt to convince otherwise, but just not possible.

Nope - it's a myth that you can get tones associated with a large watt/volume level amp at practice level volumes. Plenty of marketing in attempt to convince otherwise, but just not possible.

I sort of have to disagree, to an extent... "tone" wise, if it's a specific type of sound or crunch/breakup, that can indeed be found in a smaller package; 6SN7GTB's sound damn good when pushed hard!

As far as matching the big boy's real deal tit for tat... nope, it's not going to happen. Loud volume just sounds good, very good... especially when you can both feel and hear it. Obviously that is not something you can get from a small watt amp...

Try the Marshall Class 5. It's $400.00 bucks, 5 watts, all tube built in the UK. I have one and love it for the same reason you are looking for.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-Class-5-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105646228-i1482740.gc

Happy hunting

I agree Fxd,I`ve got a Matamp Minimat head & 1x12 cab.4 watts clean,8-10 distorted and onboard attenuator.

It`s a very nice sounding amp but still sounds WAY better when turned up!That`s too loud for home use!

I`ve had/got many master vol amps and now realise that it`s the LOUD bit that sounds good,lively, and toneful!

Just my thoughts,hope it helps.

How much are you willing to spend? There are several boutique Marshall 18 watt clones and variations that have power scaling. The Reinhardt 18 and MI 6 both are available with power scaling and Reinhardt is often listed at the top of the heap of the 18 watter clones. The new Reinhardt LT-1 is more of a Plexi in an 18 watt package and also has power scaling. The Suhr Badger falls more in the Vox/Marshall blend camp but also has an excellent power scaling and rave reviews. There are others out there as well.

Marshall Plexi tone in an amp that pushes 33 tube watts in the size of a six pack is what this amp is all about. Three gain setting and a gain knob, tone and volume, as well as an line out, and if necessary it'll drive a 4x12.

Hand made by Tris in California. Dude answers the phone himself and makes 'em one at a time. Lengthy lead time but well worth it. I've had one for a few years now with no issues, I've gigged on stage along side Fender Vibroluxes and Twins and been heard. Check it out.

Thanks, lots of good suggestions to consider. I have a Boss Modelling Effects processor that has "vintage Marshall" as one of the preamp options and find myself using it a lot.

Single 8" cabinet with 1/4 watt, 33 watt, or 50 watt output. Can't tell you what a conversation starter this thing is in a room full guitarists.

Not affiliated in any way, but this is arguably the best money I've ever spent in musical gear. Check it out.

Check this thing out for portability. BTW, this is the guitar that was replaced by the 535, for years I tried 335's and dots and Ibby's and nothing ever measured up to my old MIJ Washburn....then I played the 535.

But i digress....great practice/portable rig.

This is my "school" rig. Semi, 'verb, volume, tuner, 50 watt tube amp :diablo_mini:

P1100540.jpg

I sort of have to disagree, to an extent... "tone" wise, if it's a specific type of sound or crunch/breakup, that can indeed be found in a smaller package; 6SN7GTB's sound damn good when pushed hard!

As far as matching the big boy's real deal tit for tat... nope, it's not going to happen. Loud volume just sounds good, very good... especially when you can both feel and hear it. Obviously that is not something you can get from a small watt amp...

I can agree too, most studio recordings were used with smaller wattage amps. That's why many lower wattage amps are referred to as studio amps. More overdriven tone without shaking the roof apart...

Marshall Plexi tone in an amp that pushes 33 tube watts in the size of a six pack is what this amp is all about. Three gain setting and a gain knob, tone and volume, as well as an line out, and if necessary it'll drive a 4x12.

Hand made by Tris in California. Dude answers the phone himself and makes 'em one at a time. Lengthy lead time but well worth it. I've had one for a few years now with no issues, I've gigged on stage along side Fender Vibroluxes and Twins and been heard. Check it out.

I've seen those before. I remember another guitarist I knew had a 200W lunchbox amp that was super loud. But it wasn't a tube amp like this. My only thought is speaker size. To me, a larger speaker means more fatter bottom end. Which is my biggest issue with a Fender Champ 600....

Blackstone, maybe?

Fractal Audio Axe Fx (Standard or Ultra) depending on the size of your wallet...

I've seen those before. I remember another guitarist I knew had a 200W lunchbox amp that was super loud. But it wasn't a tube amp like this. My only thought is speaker size. To me, a larger speaker means more fatter bottom end. Which is my biggest issue with a Fender Champ 600....

Completely valid. Keep in mind, this is aimed at providing plexi tone at bedroom levels, and getting awesome tube tone at super loud volume, but it doesn't sound like a big cabinet, for sure. That's where the line out comes in, you CAN push up to a 4x12 with it, if you wanted to. I know a guy for whom this is his regular gigging amp with a 2x10 cabinet. I think most people use this as a home practice amp, or like me, a SUPER portable amp for throwing in the car with a gig bag. It WILL cut through in a room full of amps, lead work in particular, but the tone at that volume sounds very compressed.

The SS amp you're referring to sounds like the ZT lunchbox, a 200 watt amp, similar in size, but VERY clean and very sterile. Nice, but different. The little lanilei is a tube tone monster.

Try the Marshall Class 5. It's $400.00 bucks, 5 watts, all tube built in the UK. I have one and love it for the same reason you are looking for.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-Class-5-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105646228-i1482740.gc

Happy hunting

I have A Radial Tone Bone Classic pedal that has a tube in it, and I run it into my '59 8 watt Gibsonette..Maybe not exactly "Marshall" tone..But it kicks ass!! :icon_thumright:

The Blackstar Artisan 15 is a DREAM....trust me. Gorgeous Marshall cleans and tons of grind on the EF86 channel. By far the most 3D amp I've ever played.

That said, you won't be able to crank it comfortably if the wife/kids are home (I don't know how old you are). If you've got the house to yourself it's a very crankable amp owing to its shockingly inefficient speaker. I picked mine up in MINT condition for 550 quid. Not cheap, by any means...and apparently they're even more expensive in the States. That might be a drawback.

The Blackstar Artisan 15 is a DREAM....trust me. Gorgeous Marshall cleans and tons of grind on the EF86 channel. By far the most 3D amp I've ever played.

That said, you won't be able to crank it comfortably if the wife/kids are home (I don't know how old you are). If you've got the house to yourself it's a very crankable amp owing to its shockingly inefficient speaker. I picked mine up in MINT condition for 550 quid. Not cheap, by any means...and apparently they're even more expensive in the States. That might be a drawback.

For us dumb Americans, is quid a slang term for pounds?

Archived